Lawyers homing in on Nvidia after GTX 970 Memory allocation Claims

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Feb 3, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Deasnutz

Deasnutz Guest

GPU:
    Titan X 12GB
    This makes me oh so very happy. Suck the dick, Nvidia.

2. PhazeDelta1

PhazeDelta1 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080 FTW
    People like him don't care about the well being of the consumers. The only thing they are interested in is $.

3. maize1951

maize1951 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080 8GB
    You nailed it.

4. Brewskie

Brewskie Member

GPU:
    EVGA GTX980 FTW
    Digital ambulance chaser

5. lumpkin

lumpkin Guest

GPU:
    16gb
    I feel bad for this person. He went out of his way to show us his public school education.

6. Mineria

Mineria Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 3080 Ti
    People like him only make $ when someone hasn't been playing by the book. ^^

I wonder if we can sue them afterwards for taking the whole cake...

Last edited: Feb 3, 2015
  7. rflair

rflair Don Coleus Staff Member

GPU:
    5700XT
    Of course. To them this is what they do, their job, their game. This is still in no where land, a judge will decide if this comes to fruition and that is weeks to months away.

I ain't going to lie, I like seeing corporations taken to task.

8. Redemption80

Redemption80 Guest

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    Technically everyone cares about money though.

This isn't a company stealing food from an orphans mouth, it's a luxury item being slightly less luxury than we originally thought.

9. PhazeDelta1

PhazeDelta1 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080 FTW
    Well, if you want to get technical, the 970 does have 4 GB of memory. So in truth, the label on the box is not misleading :p

10. The Laughing Ma

The Laughing Ma Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 4070ti
    Also didn't the last statement suggest that the purchaser's decision had to be swayed to buying the product by the misleading information. I am still of the opinion that 99% of people that bought 970GTXs did so because of the benchmarks and that the technical specs could have been written in crayon and contained the word 'poopy' and they would still have bough the card.

On the flipside for all those throwing their arms up in celebration at Nvidia being sued what exactly happens if Nvidia win? Yeah that coin has two sides folks.

11. Mineria

Mineria Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 3080 Ti
    It is not about the label on the box nut about pre-released marketing material.
    ROP count is basically the only thing they got for their case, memory amount and bandwidth is still the same.
    So unless there are legal regulations that goes against those 500MB there is no way that they will get anything out of it.

I would rather see them going to those who are responsible for regulations that protect us consumers around the world and get a regulation in place that never allows Nvidia neither any other graphic cards manufacturer to do such again.

Which as example could be: If you add x amount of memory on a product at a given speed and bandwidth, the x amount of memory has to operate as such from minimum to maximum of amount x.
    Any memory in the x amount of memory pool that does not operates as such has clearly to be written as such with full specifications.

12. Redemption80

Redemption80 Guest

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    I agree, i have checked the box my card came in several times and can't see anything technical on there at all.

I honestly don't think the case has much of a chance, so it's up the lawyers to waste their money on it.

While i don't agree with what Nvidia has done, when it comes down to i also don't care as the card was and still is a bargain and just like everything that seems to good to be true it turns out it actually was.

13. nhlkoho

nhlkoho Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2080ti FE

When you start making rules and regulations like this, companies don't want to waste time and money verifying this and stop producing products. Granted Nvidia is a large enough company where it won't bother them too much. But you never know.

14. Mineria

Mineria Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 3080 Ti
    I just wrote to EU's body that is responsible for regulations regarding electronic devices and units with a suggestion to make a regulation that protects us consumers from performance deviations when a device or unit is labeled with X amount of memory at a specific speed and bandwidth.
    Hopefully they will look into it and make a clear definition that will protect us from something like this to ever happen again.
    That is the way I think we should go, get over that harm has been done but prevent harm to happen in the future.

15. Mineria

Mineria Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 3080 Ti
    If no rules and regulations where made just by thinking that companies won't make sure that their product follows these rules and regulations we would have a lot of bad products on the market compared to what we got today.
    Nvidia basically broke an unwritten rule, which simply has to be written down as being enforced so that something like this never happens again.

Besides that, Both Nividia as AMD uses regulations and rules in lawsuits against other companies, us as consumers should not be worth less.

16. Gaizokubanou

Gaizokubanou Maha Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire HD 7970
    You are bringing too much calm and sense into this Redemption80. That's not what we need right now. We just want raw nerd rage against the evil corporation and the evil lawyer cause they are EVIIIL.

Seriously though, good on you for keeping a good perspective on things.

17. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080
  18. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    I've used 10-15 bags of "Scotts EZ Seed" over the last couple years and have never seen it grow any grass. I've started buying the "cheap", white bags simply labeled "grass seed" and generally have grass growing in 7-14 days.

It'll be months before they collect enough data to move forward with filing the initial suit. After that, it'll be at least another several months trying to get "class-action" status. By the time we get an outcome, it'll be too late to matter anyway. Most people will have forgotten about this fiscal and it'll have no impact on NVidia's reputation or those claiming to be "affected"....

19. Gaizokubanou

Gaizokubanou Maha Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire HD 7970
    Yes, but how seriously are we "affected" here?

20. rflair

rflair Don Coleus Staff Member

GPU:
    5700XT
    Well ya that is the way class action suits work. Everyone should hold onto their receipt.

Let me ask you this, if anything did come of this and a payout of $30-$50 is issued your not going to claim it? And why would you care about Nvidias reputation, this is about principle.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.