The Return of the King ? (AMD R3XX Benchies)

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Rich_Guy, Feb 3, 2015.

1. sw1000xg

sw1000xg Banned

GPU:
    Gigabyte 970 G1
    I know it's so tempting specially with the new cards coming and will be cheaper than Nvidia, but if they could just make their drivers like Nvidia (for me perfect) I know a lot will protest against this but I still think these people that have problems are the tinkers, who mess with Windows files, and when something doesn't work they blame the drivers? I just formatted my system a month ago, and haven't had a single problem with any of my games... But each to his own.

I still don't understand why they are today still having problems like in my first ATI/AMD card the 9800 pro? I had the same artifacts in games today as I did in Unreal 2... Crazy!

2. shadow_craft

shadow_craft Guest

GPU:
    ASUS StiX OC 1070
    AMD drivers are perfect, Omega drivers are great

don't believe the F.U.D. spread about by fanboy's and common ignorance

-An AMD video card customer

(2x6950's & 7950 going strong for years and years and years)

Last time Amd had driver issues was like 10 years ago, and people like to pretend Nvidia never has an issue with their drivers.

It's kinda funny

3. HunnoPT

HunnoPT Guest

GPU:
    Tri-X OC 290 CF 4GB+4GB
    YES GIMME A 3000USD CARD! BECAUSE IM A FANBOY! That is going to buy it for SURE! Even if it performs the same as 390x and cost 6x more! GIMME!

Green fanboys really like to have their :banana:

4. mR Yellow

mR Yellow Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire R9 Fury
    I would love it if this was the model to replace the 390 and not the 390X

5. Fender178

Fender178 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070 | GTX 1060
    I hope that the cooler does not add any more money to the card. I have seen hybrid cooled style r9 290Xs go for over $500 and that is for the HIS version which is over $100 more than the standard air cooled versions.

Man those are nice numbers if they are true. I wonder what kind of OC can the R9 3xx cards can get?

6. LM2014

LM2014 Member Guru

GPU:
    RX 6800XT
    So true

The funny thing is that in my case I had many more problems with the Nvidia drivers than with AMD/ATI.

7. Redemption80

Redemption80 Guest

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    If those numbers are accurate then it's pretty much guaranteed that the cooler will add a fair amount to the cost and price of the card.

I have no idea about their drivers, last AMD GPU I had was a 4870 which was returned for a GTX260 after a few weeks because of noise and heat, drivers seemed perfectly fine though.
    To be fair it's mostly AMD users who put down AMD drivers, and while it could be user error it still puts people like myself off taking the risk.

Last edited: Feb 3, 2015
  8. Rich_Guy

Rich_Guy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 2070S X-Trio
    Yup, the 480 still sold by the truckload.

9. Loophole35

Loophole35 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080ti SC
    Most likely referring to GM200 cards, which according to core count should be roughly 50% faster than GM204 plus a 384bit memory configuration. We shall see. But these numbers do look feasible and the power consumption is not as bad in terms of comparing to HawaiiXT about 50% faster and only using a few more watts.

10. Ryu5uzaku

Ryu5uzaku Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6800 XT
    If you count the percentage it is about as good performance per watt vs 980 and 970 if this is indeed true.

11. Vipu2

Vipu2 Guest

GPU:
    1070ti
    If this is true I guess its time to upgrade my whole pc and get these in sli!
    Then play some 1080p games!

12. Leonardo

Leonardo Guest

GPU:
    HIS R9 280X / 3072MB
    R9-380X looks like the new HD 5870...

13. Mineria

Mineria Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 3080 Ti
    Will be interesting to see the whole 3xx range.
    If those number are true then that is what AMD should focus on.
    Solid products with performance is what makes sales, not naming and shaming others when they made a mistake to try promoting a product which had low sale numbers.

14. Portuogral

Portuogral Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X
    Although that Firestrike +8K score would be awesome, I don't think is true. If recent history trends mean something, I would expect a score somewhere between x6500 and x7000 - which would be GREAT! - but, definately not +8k.

A TDP like that would be an absolutely NO GO for me. :(

For the card to keep those temps with such an high TDP, it would probably be watercooled. In which case, it would have to be more expensive than really necessary for the performance.

15. Asgardi

Asgardi Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 980 Ti OC
    Nah...

Would be great for everybody if it was true. That said, it probably isn't. Since when AMD pulled of anything this big? We would have to go as far as the Thunderbird processors 15 years ago or so. AMD has been in so big money troubles for so long that its unlikely they do any magic.

16. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black

Right.. It will for sure, its next-gen gpu for a reason, just like GM200.. GM200 is also around that performance.

you worry about TDP? our current OC'ed 780 @ 1200mhz can use that much..
    Also 780 @ 1200mhz gets 5400X, why would they make only 6500-7000X, imho 8400X looks just about enough, I would rather see 9500X+ to be honest :D

Btw for those still dreaming about Maxwell Titan, sorry but it won't happen, no DP for Maxwell Gm200. :nerd:

17. MikeMK

MikeMK Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia RTX 4090
    This does look promising. My one upgrade this year will be a GPU. I'll probably wait for NVidia to release the full fat Maxwell (which im pretty sure they will do quite soon after the 390X if the 390 performs like in those charts!) and then decide which way to go.

18. Turanis

Turanis Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte RX500
    @vipu2 Do you wanna CF with this and play @ 1080? Common man.wtf.For this card get 1440 or 4k CF. Fortunatelly will have watercooler(i guess) so no high temp.

19. leszy

leszy Master Guru

GPU:
    GB 7900XT Gaming OC
    Power consumption = power spent on calculations + power dissipated as heat. If R9 380x, is ~50% more efficient in calculations than R9 290x, with the same total power consumption, it should generate less heat.
    It seems to me that the card in the benchmarks is air-cooled.

20. Terradorvite

Terradorvite Active Member

GPU:
    ASUS 7900XT
    I just upgraded over a month ago from a gtx670 to a 970. Its very nice performance boost and Im happy with it. 390 Looks beastly, just wish that power draw wasnt so high. :bang: