Both Mantle and DX12 can combine video memory

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Feb 3, 2015.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    Robert Hallock (Head of Global Technical Marketing at AMD) hared something interesting on Twitter earlier on. You guys know that when your have a GPU graphics card combo with dual-GPUs that the mem...

Both Mantle and DX12 can combine video memory

2. jimdove

jimdove Guest

GPU:
    Windforce 1080ti
    o-O

if true this will make SLI users cream :)

3. vbetts

vbetts Don Vincenzo Staff Member

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti
    If this is true and not just a marketing ploy, wouldn't this also work on any crossfire or sli setups done with two physical graphics cards?

4. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    Oh, now they want to bring in their hbm and dual gpu cards I think. 295 sales might gain a bit momentum and, who knows, maybe a 385x or something.

We will see if this really works the way he pointed out.

5. DeskStar

DeskStar Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 3080Ti/3090FTW
    Bring it!!

Quad TITAN's standing by to stack some memory.....! Just hope they don't pull one over on us about how this is just for the newest brands and no backward compatibility with us guys with the older hardware.

Please do not be another marketing rep blowing smoke attempting to rattle the cages of us hardware freaks that are out there.

6. hapkiman

hapkiman Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1080Ti Gaming X
    We shall see if what he says really works. I've seen a lot of claims over the years by different companies that turned out to be BS. Cautiously optimistic.

:banana:

7. jimdove

jimdove Guest

GPU:
    Windforce 1080ti
    I still will not go multi gpu even if this is true, the issues with games not supporting sli or doing it poorly are too great imo. I am biased as I had a nightmare 9 months with a 5970 back in 09, poor ati drivers + terrible xfire support in the games I was playing = RMA and lots of rage :D I cannot go through that again (first world problems)

8. Lane

Lane Guest

GPU:
    2x HD7970 - EK Waterblock
    Last Civilization: Beyond Earth use allready SFR with Mantle..

http://www.anandtech.com/show/8643/...crossfire-with-mantle-sfr-not-actually-broken

Last edited: Feb 3, 2015
  9. DeskStar

DeskStar Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 3080Ti/3090FTW
    Yeah I hear you....... Does sound a bit fishy as both GFX card companies have truly addressed their concerns on stacked/unified RAM architecture and how they plan on introducing it to the public. All in due time I suppose.

Makes me feel like my kids on Christmas, or something........waiting ever so patiently to find out what the companies are going to give us.

10. vbetts

vbetts Don Vincenzo Staff Member

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti
    Seeing that even if I added a second 970 to my rig, I would still be under the power restraints that is the Mac Pro and the silly power connectors that comes with it. I would add a second one no problem if developers did use this API.

I would have more than 4gb of memory then!(Joke)

11. A M D BugBear

A M D BugBear Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4 GTX 970/4-Way Sli

Soon as the games hit 6-8gb of vram, your quad titan's, even if they scaled at 100% full speed, your cards, all 4 of them, will be on their knees, 8gb vram???, forget it.

maybe 6gb vram and settings,etc but at full 8gb vram? 100% even with 4 980 gtx's oc'ed, will be on their knees.

5-6gb sounds good, over that, our cards ain't fast enough to do something like that yet and maintain very high fps at the same time.

LOL, and LG is talking about 8k resolution this year? PLEASE!!

Games wont move period at that resolution, as of now no, OLD!! games perhaps, Today's games? FORGET IT...

If people own 4k, Try maxing out with dsr, should give you a hint how fast it will move, lol.

5gb sounds perfect.

Shoot, playing farcry4 @ slightly over 2560X1600 res(DSR), + maxed out settings + nvidia inspector 2xmsaa + 2xSGSSAA, sucker is moving like 17+fps to 20+ fps, seems to moving alright, looks great, lol.

I cant imagine running 8k with farcry4 with everything maxed out @ 60fps, holy good god moly, thats NEVER going to happen for a LONG LONG TIME.

As of the Mantle+DX12:

All I got to say is this, its about time, how many years later and still haven't found out a way to stack the vram? I knew it was just a matter of time, good god about time, I wonder when this will be coming out in full force? I don't expect anytime soon.

Matter of time before Nvidia comes up with there's, lol.

12. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black
    But there is a catch, games will specifically have to be designed to take advantage of it... So, imo it will be very rare :p

13. Rich_Guy

Rich_Guy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 2070S X-Trio
    Be better for 970 users, as they'll have 7GB :p

14. Solfaur

Solfaur Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 3080Ti Gaming OC
    Still way better for 290x 8GB users, as they'll have full 16GB!!!11one :)

15. CPC_RedDawn

CPC_RedDawn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PNY RTX4090
    No just no.

We will still have full 8GB memory.

But what this will do is be amazing for no hitting that 3.5GB wall that a lot of people are seeing.

I don't see this at all I have hit 3.9GB and not had issues. Same over at PCPer who have tested BF4 at 6K resolution and only found the 970 to perform around 12% slower than the 980 and they too did not see any hiccups.

This will essentially increase that wall, not just for 970 users but for everyone.

This HAS to be made compulsory for devs if your game uses a lot of memory!!

16. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 4070
    nvm...

17. DLG

DLG Guest

GPU:
    Zotac AMP 1080Ti
    this has to be the best news about graphics for since sli/cf existed

18. ScoobyDooby

ScoobyDooby Guest

GPU:
    1080Ti & Acer X34
    Pretty much.

Time will tell I guess, but very promising from these new APIs. Hope it comes to fruition! Would be a huge boost to gamers everywhere and makes CF/SLI far more relevant (not that it isn't already, just more!)

19. stereoman

stereoman Master Guru

GPU:
    Palit RTX 3080 GPRO
    If it's true then hopefully they'll be able to patch it in for older games like with Battlefield 4 and mantle support, I've been using SLI since Voodoo2 days and I always thought it was a shame you couldn't use the memory on both cards, it's a huge waste, anyway fingers crossed this works.

20. harkinsteven

harkinsteven Guest

GPU:
    RTX 3080
    Awww this is sexy.