AMD Raptr Gamer-community Extension Got Hacked

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Feb 2, 2015.

1. GhostXL

GhostXL Guest

GPU:
    PNY EPIC-X RTX 4090
    People keep bashing Geforce Experience, but I've yet to have an issue using it. Streaming/Shield/LED control, and optional game optimizations right there. Just because you don't use the features does not make it a pos.

Now Raptr I have also used on my HD 7970 rig, and uninstall right away. It's not optimized, and bloated with web links in the form of banners and pics. GeForce Experience....is not.

2. Mineria

Mineria Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 3080 Ti
    So those people that just want to play instead of using hours surfing the web for answers to get the perfect settings for their game are idiots?

Besides that, both applications support video capturing of games for free, plus a lot of other things that don't relate to setting IQ up for games.

3. Tsume

Tsume Member

GPU:
    2x 290x ref cooler
    Raptr isn't any worse or better than GeForce experience as far as their benefit to your performance goes... both optimize your game settings, both check and notify for driver updates, both run in the background, GVR is functionally equivalent to shadowplay.

Difference is that Raptr has been around longer and has a decent rewards system. I've gotten $20 worth of Smite Gems just for playing random games. Raptr has better integration with Twitch IMO.

I have only had a problem with Raptr once, where the overlay was competing with a 3rd party overlay I was using causing the game not to open. Works fine with Steam overlay and Mumble though.

I really think the constant pissing match between people over nVidia vs AMD's addon software is really overblown. Both do generally the same thing. If you don't want it, don't install. From the tone of the article, I can assume that Hilbert is not a fan of these programs, which is understandable if you don't want anything else running in the background.

4. StewieTech

StewieTech Chuck Norris

GPU:
    MSI gtx 960 Gaming
    I love how Hilbert says in the article that the aplications is a POS; hehe that´s the man alright.:wanker:

5. Lagahan

Lagahan Member

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1070 Armor OC
    I can't believe the developer of RadeonPro dropped it, didn't release the source and moved over to this crapware. Going to be very hard to stay on AMD without RadeonPro updating for new cards.

6. Asgardi

Asgardi Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 980 Ti OC
    Nah...

GFE is actually quality software and usefull because it allows settings that cannot be changed in the games own menus (for some games) and it keeps drivers up to date. Plus of course enables features like ShadowPlay and GameStream. Not very meaningfull but keeps additional software like Fraps away from my machine. If I had to choose between GFE and NV Control Panel I would choose GFE.

Raptr is as good as all AMD software. Cannot even think about putting Raptr back to my other machine. That crap even asks for login every time PC is started. And other AMD software... Well lets say I found 3 quality issues last time from the first installer screen. Typos, badly positioned buttons and help texts not available for most features. And CCC is very much the same. Unfinished piece of junk and a design nightmare. I refuce to install that one too on AMD side. Looks like a drawing of a 10-yo kid. And dont get me started about running the uninstaller... thank god for DDU. But who cares, its the price how they compete anyway. The only reason why I have ever bought AMD cards is when they have too much better price performance ratio. And then I end up cursing the software here.

7. qqryq

qqryq Active Member

GPU:
    GigabyteGeForceGTX970 OC
    I never bothered myself with any app like Raptr (when i used Radeon) or GFE. But this is a matter of individual liking, am i right?

8. CPC_RedDawn

CPC_RedDawn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PNY RTX4090
    Got news for you they have both done this for a while now.

Both can use the custom AMD VCE encoder which uses the built in h.264 codec on GCN cards.

Not too sure about Nvidia but I know for a fact that Open Broadcast Software has unofficial support for AMD VCE and has official support for NVIDIA's NVENC as well.

Both GFE and Raptr are just horrible bloatware.

9. ---TK---

---TK--- Guest

GPU:
    2x 980Ti Gaming 1430/7296
    I do not use GFE, but that doe not mean its crap for other people. Personal preference.

10. Reddoguk

Reddoguk Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX3090 GB GamingOC
    Free stuff gained while using the software. Like Origin points system?

I don't know because i have never used either AMD or Nvidia's software apart from drivers.

To me it just sounds like a trade off. We get to spy on you, see what you are playing and for how long and you get some points for allowing us to spy on you. Nice.

11. WhiteLightning

WhiteLightning Don Illuminati Staff Member

GPU:
    Inno3d RTX4070
    I dont understand why nvidia users wont use gforce experience as it has driver profile updates too.

12. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    I've started using it for driver updates. I have no interest in it aside from that. What NVidia considers "optimal" settings, are usually well above the settings I choose and often result in lower framerates than I'm comfortable with.

13. Ryu5uzaku

Ryu5uzaku Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6800 XT
    I first did not like raprt at all the current amd gaming evolved application is pretty good. takes next to no resources and has useful stuff if you want to record or anything.

14. Loophole35

Loophole35 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080ti SC
    Last time I let GFE update my driver I had to reboot in SafeMode to unistall a corrupted driver since then it has not been allowed back on my computers.

15. Tsume

Tsume Member

GPU:
    2x 290x ref cooler
    Pretty much. I believe the points thing predates AMD's involvement with them. Raptr has been a decent sized gaming social network thing since before AMD got into an agreement with them. If your friends use Raptr, it makes it easy to communicate with them with the overlay (although if you are playing Steam games, might as well just use Steam overlay). You can also do AIM, facebook chat, etc with the overlay. Some users find that useful, I personally just use my 2nd monitor.

Compared to GeForce experience, it has more bells and whistles. With that comes a tradeoff though, since it is a social network, as you say it will "spy" on you - it keeps track of what games you play and for how long.

I only ever use Raptr/AMD Gaming Evolved (same thing) to notify me of driver updates and to get free stuff with the points for playing games. It does not attempt to install the driver for you (that would piss me off), instead it notifies you of updates (including beta if you ask it to) and then you can choose to download and install the driver update like you would normally from AMD's site.

16. the9quad

the9quad Guest

GPU:
    1080ti MSI Gaming-X
    Dxtory using directshow output into OBS/X-Split will do what you are wishing for. It's also uhm about zero performance hit. You could also directly capture the footage in OBS or X-Split but you will take a performance hit (yes even when using VCE), but for some reason if you go through the dxtory directshow output into OBS you will not. TLDR OBS already does it, but you will take more of a performance hit than if you would go DXtory to OBS to output (this is a pretty well known phenomena, and believe me it is true especially in Mgpu configurations. Side note this method will also let you full screen capture games in FFsplit-which doesnt have full screen game functionality if for some odd reason you like FFsplit).

Anyway, Raptr is a jack of all trades master of none program. It is not bad per se' it just doesn't do anything very well. Some things it does, makes you wonder if the people who designed it have any clue whatsoever though. For instance if you have a 1440p screen and wish to stream using raptr you can't stream at 1080p because the only choices for streaming are in percent and the choices are hard locked to 100%,50%, and 25%......so as you can see 1080p from 1440p doesn't fit any of those choices. Also, Mgpu recording doesn't work right (VCE will shut off one of the cards alot of the time and it is completley broken in MANTLE), overlays don't always work, no way to add a camera overlay etc.. Personally if I absolutely wanted a free program to record or pre-record I'd just use afterburner or if I just wanted to record/stream only well then I would use OBS.

If i was in love with those reward points well I guess I'd use Raptr.

The shame is that Raptr hired the guy from radeonpro, and instead of using him to implement the useful stuff from radeonpro he is being used for who knows what.

I've done a lot of performance testing for streaming/recording and when using cfx, nothing beats Dxtory into OBS (or X-Split). I have tested everything there is (within reason). Tested Raptr, Overwolf, Playclaw, Action!, Afterburner, OBS, X-Split gamecaster and broadcaster,FF-Split, Bandicam, etc..

I am not a fan of raptr or AMD, but that front page news article seems like it was written by a 12 yr old bragging about how his dad will beat up your dad. Have some class. Fanboys in a forum are bad enough, but now you drag that crap to the frontpage? really?

Last edited: Feb 2, 2015
  17. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    I download and install the driver myself. It just lets me know when there is a newer driver available.

18. Corrupt^

Corrupt^ Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Geforce RTX 3090 FE
    To be fair imo Geforce Experience is POS just as much. I disable everything in it. Though Shadowplay is a neat feature. That's about the only good thing about it imo.

19. Prince Valiant

Prince Valiant Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080 ti
    I don't know why people get so worked up about this stuff, it's all unnecessary software.

20. KissSh0t

KissSh0t Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 3060 OC 12GB
    A little bit biased Hilbert.