Watch Dogs modding: Geometry models.

Discussion in 'Game Tweaks and Modifications' started by ZModeler, Feb 1, 2015.

1. ZModeler

ZModeler Guest

GPU:
    HD7870
    I'll start with a teaser image with a link to original post, so we don't have any intrigue on a subject here:

[​IMG]

I would like this topic to be dedicated to Watch Dogs geometry modding. This could include both vehicles and characters modding: geometry, materials and textures.

You can already find a well-written guides on overal modding like unpacking, packing and merging modified files into a game-suitable mod, so I'll not post this over here.

Also, I would like this thread to be free of tweaks: no graphics quality tuning, weather, sky, DOF, fog, reflections and other stuff tweaks please, use different threads for that.

I know, ZModeler has it's own dedicated forum, but I see a lot of talented people here and would like them to get inspired and involved. :) Thus, I'm setting an instant notification for this topic, so I could reply questions quickly.

In general, I'll try to accumulate some knowledge base on a subject to write detailed docs few later. To the moment, some drafts are already available here:
    http://forum.zmodeler3.com/viewforum.php?f=28

Let me reply to the question I predict from a dozen of forum members: No, it's impossible to recreate E3 physics of Aiden model. The physics of his coat is stored in a model file and completely unknown to the moment. The export plugin uses original data to recreate character physics on export. Modding bones positions will not affect as these are surpassed by animation data. Modding bones influence will not give E3 look, as E3 bones influence is already on a model, but bones themselves has different constrains and physics configuration saved in "unknown" data blocks.

2. Essenthy

Essenthy Guest

GPU:
    GTX 980Ti 6GB
    thats pretty big, good work man !

what are the chance of decrypting the animations data of his coat ?

3. ZModeler

ZModeler Guest

GPU:
    HD7870
    I can't say about chances as I'm not planning to do it myself. If the data will be decoded by someone, I would definitively implement required code into the exporter.

4. puredorian

puredorian Guest

GPU:
    Nvidia GTX 1070
    I'm sorry to ask this question, as I'm quite a noob about anything model related.

But, is it possible to drag someone elses facial definition.dpdx, and implement on Aiden model correctly, and then import it back as xbg? I mean on flyerguy model, there's some resembalnce of Aiden 2012 face, but it would look wierd on an aiden's default facial definition, so if we can just take flyerguy face, put it on aiden's, and change facial stuff.

I appreciate your work and progress, well done

5. ZModeler

ZModeler Guest

GPU:
    HD7870
    I don't know anything about facial definitions. I guess these are just bones constrains for different mimics.

6. ModAiC

ModAiC Guest

GPU:
    Radeon R7 260X
    Hey, I tried loading up flyerguy but this is the message I get at the bottom of the screen : ZModeler is ready.
    Failed to load High-detail geometry file : graphics\characters\char\char35_flyerguy\char35_flyerguy.high.xbgmip. file:WatchDogsGeometry.cpp line:423

It is an XBG and not an XBGmip

7. ZModeler

ZModeler Guest

GPU:
    HD7870
    In order to load this model, you need high-detailed geometry data file (.high.xbgmip) to be extracted too. I guess you can populate "filelist" of Gibbed unpacking tools with the path/name given above and unpack files again. I see a lot of missing files like that.

unpacker requires file path\names to be given explicitly, so it restores them from computed hashes. Until path\name is given, some packed files can not be restored as only hash is stored.

I personally don't know how to populate "filelist", this was discussed at xentax forum related to FAT/DAT decription. the latest file list contains about 60% of known files only.

8. ThatGuyOverTher

ThatGuyOverTher Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX980
    Instead of making a modeling tool that can edit and export the xbg file type, would it not be easier to make the game just read a different model?
    Or would we have to make it so the engine recognizes the file type?
    I am just thinking out loud...

9. ZModeler

ZModeler Guest

GPU:
    HD7870
    I can't remind any case of such an ability. The .xbg model is native layout of geometry that is pushed into your video directly, then the game pushes shaders (code) to render geometry with specific lighting settings. An ability to let the engine "recognize other type" will still need the game to convert geometry into native layout to push into video hardware. Literally, the game code would need the format loading + conversion logic implemented, which is not the case in WD.

"Other formats" read by game engine are a very rare case when game engine is designed to be extended by user content. The only title I could recollect is, probably, "Farming Simulator" series, or games build on open-format engines that has build-in "loading + conversion logic" inside.

10. ThatGuyOverTher

ThatGuyOverTher Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX980
    so has there been any progress on modeling? And can you tell you give a tutorial on how to use it?
    ... Also, would it be possible to make Aidens face shorter like in the E3 2012 demos?
    Thanks and uh sorry for bumping

11. SoloCreep

SoloCreep Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2080 TI
    You can put the code of any AI in place of Aidens and you can also make other AI look like someone else. Is this what you meant?https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rxahzex61ns

As for swapping a chair, bed, street lamps, trees and things like that, I never tried it.

12. ZModeler

ZModeler Guest

GPU:
    HD7870
    I'm not the modeler, neither I do any mods. The image shown in first post is the geometry edit of the Aiden model, this is not an accessory attachment. I've modified his hair slightly, so they don't bump out of the hat. I guess the face could be lightly adjusted as needed.
    Here's an example of making his necks a bit wider:

[​IMG]

13. puredorian

puredorian Guest

GPU:
    Nvidia GTX 1070
    Always wanted to ask you, can I work with you to fix most of the zmod errors while loading some xbg? I found a way to search each xbgmip for example if needed, that way you can update your software to work with more content.

14. ThatGuyOverTher

ThatGuyOverTher Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX980
    well if you ever feel up to the task of making his face more E3ish. Here is a reference image with both release and E3 aiden. [​IMG]

15. ZModeler

ZModeler Guest

GPU:
    HD7870
    What do you mean by fixing errors while loading xbg files? Does something work improperly?

16. puredorian

puredorian Guest

GPU:
    Nvidia GTX 1070
    Try to load something that isn't char01.xbg, like flyerguy, it will not load, telling that it couldnt find xbgmip.

17. ZModeler

ZModeler Guest

GPU:
    HD7870
    sure. the file is needed for high-detail lod. this is not an error of loading, this is an error of missing files after unpacking. I guess all missing files could be listed in "filelist.txt" and game fat/dat could be unpacked again. You know, the unpacked tool relies on a file list during unpacking, since fat/dat does not contain path/names of files.

18. puredorian

puredorian Guest

GPU:
    Nvidia GTX 1070
    Yep, thing is, those missing files are actually in the _unknown folder in the patch, they're randomly named tho, most of them i already know, so if you're interested please send me pm and we'll sort it out, at least, for the flyerguy.

19. ZModeler

ZModeler Guest

GPU:
    HD7870
    these are unpacked into "unknown" folder cause their names are not listed in a file list. Check the gibbed unpacking tool: it has a file files\worlds\windy_city\windy_city.filelist that you can edit with nodepad. You can add path-names of missing files there and unpack windy_city.fat/dat again. it's not needed to dig in _unknown folder for missing files, as you get the exact name/path of the missing file on import. populate *.filelist with a path-name and you will get the file in proper place.

20. puredorian

puredorian Guest

GPU:
    Nvidia GTX 1070
    Now I get this, thanks