Middle Earth: Shadow of Mordor GeForce GTX 970 VRAM stress test

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Jan 28, 2015.

1. ScoobyDooby

ScoobyDooby Guest

GPU:
    1080Ti & Acer X34
    More or less what I've been saying. Its taken on an entirely different shape and people can't help but chime in on how "terrible Nvidia is" for doing something like this.

LIARS, THIEVES.. I mean come on. I'm not defending what they've done, but what corporation out there doesn't do underhanded $hit and what company out there doesn't lie through Marketing.. ??? In my view, its almost a given.

Every magazine out there uses photoshop, on models, food, home decor, cars, everything is enhanced. Advertisements say ANYTHING to get people to buy their stuff.. so now Nvidia makes a mistake and they are singled out? okay..

People have the right to be upset, but going to the length of calling Nvidia crooks and demanding upgrades and all this, come the *uck on. I just don't even..

2. Deathchild

Deathchild Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    Why do you defend them so Scooby? It was a lie they did end of story, no one should do that lol.

What about all the 970 SLI users that plan to ramp up that VRAM usage and then only suffer because of that? Suffer horrible framedrops and framerate variations.

Ofc they're singled out because has anyone else ever done this? In a graphics card industry I mean, I don't think so, unless someone can present me with something otherwise?

And who is calling nvidia crooks and whatever, who are you quoting here? Looking at the topic it all looks calm and "discussed". Well.. at a second glance, quite calm.

3. mcarr6

mcarr6 Member

GPU:
    PowerColor R9 Fury X
    Actually, the issue only became an issue because people found out that they were sold something that was not what they believed they were buying.

I know it can be hard to understand when most of the time performance is not the issue; I tend to believe actual buyers/users than I do reviewers, but if you buy a Ferrari, pay the price of a Ferrari, and then find out it's a Ferrari Kit (though performance may be just as good), then you would not be too happy.

4. ScoobyDooby

ScoobyDooby Guest

GPU:
    1080Ti & Acer X34
    As mentioned in my post, I was referring to other places on the net making a huge stink about this.

I get that its a lie, and yes it bothers me, but what bothers me more is how SO many people are now hammering on them when really, to me, its not entirely justified..

970 owners still have cards that work great in more scenarios than not.. Especially at 1080.. Me, I play at 1440p, so I may run into this issue, but I still don't feel that sitting there are throwing a fit about it on the net, whining about returning the card, and demanding Nvidia to give them something as reparation is justified.

There are many times when I take exception to the ways companies handle their customers and their marketing.. Just seems cheap that Nvidia is being singled out when so many other companies make mistakes and do shady practices with things WAY more important than a video card.

That being said, I am troubled that Nvidia hasn't been more quick at providing a response.. That to me is pretty sad.. I expect more from them than that.. I find that underwhelming.

5. The Laughing Ma

The Laughing Ma Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 4070ti
    That I don't believe for a second, I am guessing that 99% of people that bought that card thought they where getting

- the latest bang for buck card from Nvidia (check)
    - it has 4gig of Vram (check, irrespective of speed)
    - and they then checked benchmarks to see just how good it was (check)

I doubt most of them went; 2000rops, vcore 1.23v at 2ghz memory at 1.23v at 1100mhz, vram of 4gig at a transfer of 202gb/s, 23.34cm long, reference fan through put of 23cfm, power consumption of 23.7w idle 168.9w full load, you know what I don't care about the benchmarks and tests I am sold on the pure spec listed on this page here take my £350.

By all means be annoyed that Nvidia where less than forth coming with regards to the memory lay out but the reaction to date has been so over the top you would have thought Nvidia had paid off reviewers to falsify benchmark results.

6. omnimodis78

omnimodis78 Active Member

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080FTW
    LMAO!!!! I'm soooo glad I didn't watch this at work earlier, I think they would have had to call an ambulance and get me out of there... LOL

7. Deathchild

Deathchild Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    Yeah understand.

8. amoshe80

amoshe80 Guest

GPU:
    evga gtx 970 sc acx 2.0
    I wonder.how many of you asked for a refund?

9. rl66

rl66 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire RX 6700 XT
    yes but it use 3g on each 2 gpu and so cannot handle over 3g...

you have the same false info on the green side twin gpu lol
    the bigger number make sale the most

the sad thing is that on pro advertising they tell us the tru amount of ram for multiple GPU stuff like 2X6go etc...

both red and green brand do the same.

10. Mineria

Mineria Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 3080 Ti
    Regardless that the GTX970 is a good and powerful card, throttling 500MB of its memory down is a bad thing, since that is not the way that we want hardware manufacturers to go.
    Just image if your motherboard only ran the first 8GB at full speed and the rest was throttled down to 1/8 of its speed.
    I agree that some people might take this a bit over their heads, but regardless, Nvidia has to know this is not the way they should mess around.
    Shame that I don't have my GTX770 4GB anymore, if I did I would check up on its memory, cause I suspect that its 4GB go steady all the way, if so then the whole mess is even worse than it already is.

11. amoshe80

amoshe80 Guest

GPU:
    evga gtx 970 sc acx 2.0
    Why nvidia keeps advertizing the old specs?

12. ---TK---

---TK--- Guest

GPU:
    2x 980Ti Gaming 1430/7296
    Dual gpu video cards always lists the full vram on the card. Nothing new there. My voodoo 5 5500 said 64mb on the box.

13. Ryrynz

Ryrynz Active Member

GPU:
    GTX 960
    Definitely a bad thing to do, I don't know how they expected to get away with it. Why did they think that a whole 512MB of memory running at only 28 GB/sec was acceptable?

I hope they do take some damage over it, some shady **** right there.

14. DarkKnightDude

DarkKnightDude Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX770 4 GB OC
    [​IMG]

2 + 2 is 4 right?

Its common with dual gpu cards marketing, not sure why AMD should get blamed for this. Don't change the subject.

15. (.)(.)

(.)(.) Banned

GPU:
    GTX 970
    Because its false advertising.

Sure when you look at it on paper and the box, that 4gb is in there but there is only 2gb available to that gpu and unless thats changed recently, the second allotment of 2gb isnt used, same goes with that 6gb. No different to sli/crossfire (my sli setup for example only has 1.5gb of vram to it, not 3gb).

Last edited: Feb 1, 2015

16. cryohellinc

cryohellinc Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 6750XT/ MAC M1
  17. Hari_Seldon

Hari_Seldon Guest

GPU:
    Zotac GTX970 AMP! Extreme
    Interesting post in GeForce forum:

https://forums.geforce.com/default/...tx-970-3-5gb-vram-issue/post/4445556/#4445556

Just look at that GPU usage :puke:

------

And Boris (creator of ENB) findings on this subject:

http://enbdev.com/index_en.html

18. Ragingun

Ragingun Guest

GPU:
    295x2
    ^^^That is interesting indeed. This mirrors my thoughts. In a year it is more than possible that games will push past the 3.5gb mark and this issue will show its ugly head. I'm sure the response to this post will be "the card will be old and unable to run a game it due to gpu limitations". However, for those of us with multi gpu setups that will not be the case.

19. Ragingun

Ragingun Guest

GPU:
    295x2
    If I bought a car advertised as 400hp I'd expect to get 400 horsepower, not 350hp. Thats the issue. enhancements of photos is entirely different because its not part of the product. When a model is wearing clothing being sold you're buying the clothing not the model. That being said if you ordered a red shirt and received a blue shirt that wasn't what you were told you were getting you'd likely be highly disappointed.

20. Ragingun

Ragingun Guest

GPU:
    295x2
    I have personally experienced this issue with my SLI setup.