Middle Earth: Shadow of Mordor GeForce GTX 970 VRAM stress test

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Jan 28, 2015.

1. fry178

fry178 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 2080S WB
    the card was SOOO bad, that you returned it.
    just asking: then why did you buy it in the first place??

2. amoshe80

amoshe80 Guest

GPU:
    evga gtx 970 sc acx 2.0
    Because i thought i have 4gb of vram at full speed.i gonna wait for cards with bigger vram.not going to buy gtx 980.

3. zer0_c0ol

zer0_c0ol Ancient Guru

GPU:
    FuryX cf
    but this is a apologist in the wild

4. zer0_c0ol

zer0_c0ol Ancient Guru

GPU:
    FuryX cf
    HAHAHAHAHAHAH

it has 6 gig o ram technically

5. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    Just for your information:
    http://www.geforce.com/hardware/desktop-gpus/geforce-gtx-970/specifications
    http://www.geforce.com/hardware/desktop-gpus/geforce-gtx-980/specifications

Both still state 224GB/s while memories operate at same frequency. I guess you know that this bandwidth is reached by accessing all memory chips in parallel.
    That is true for 8 chips on 980, but only for 7 chips on 970. And if you try to access all 8 at same time...
    Even here we have customer protection against "false advertising".

6. WhiteLightning

WhiteLightning Don Illuminati Staff Member

GPU:
    Inno3d RTX4070
    And what does that customer protection give us ?

exactly nothing!

7. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    If I had 970, I could get full refund. But that is where it ends.
    If false information goes unnoticed, then you have even millions of victims.
    If I knew about such thing and lied for profit or benefits, I would feel ashamed.

That being said, everyone involved should reflect upon themselves...

8. amoshe80

amoshe80 Guest

GPU:
    evga gtx 970 sc acx 2.0
    Now that i got ridded of the gtx 970 and got full refund i wish that some new cards arraive to the market.i can buy r9 290x 8gb but it is based on an old architecture.don't get me wrong.i am very very glad that i no longer have the gtx 970 but it is annoying that there are no choises at the moment.

9. shadow_craft

shadow_craft Guest

GPU:
    ASUS StiX OC 1070
  10. Deathchild

Deathchild Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    Hilarious video dude.

Haha.. "thinking that "4GB" will be future proof" hahaahahha rofl.

11. Solfaur

Solfaur Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 3080Ti Gaming OC
  12. Deathchild

Deathchild Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    Me too. :D Hilarious video dude.

13. The Laughing Ma

The Laughing Ma Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 4070ti
    and given that the reviewers, who's job it is to test and review the product couldn't pull up any issues with the card goes to show what a total and utter load of bullsh*t is being made out of nothing. I am pretty sure that a number of test reviewers would have done 4k tests as well as Sli tests on these cards at launch under a number of different loads and settings yet none of them found anything a miss.

Conclusions,

1). a whole bunch of 970 owners are making mountains out of molehills
    2). Every reviewer in the world is being paid off by Nvidia to hide any issues they find.

If anyone thinks 2). sounds a bit stupid then please take a look at some posts by 970 owners who suddenly think their card is cr*p, who are happy that they get to refund an otherwise fantastic card, who think they are entitled to some sort of compensation, who think they should get a free game and the stupidest / funniest so far that they should either get a discounted or free upgrade to a 980Gtx.

but that Nvidia engineer video was pretty damn funny though.

14. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    Idk, how many reviewers are intentionally forcing the 970 to go over 3.5GB while monitoring FCAT? And those frame time problems are apparently blown out even more when you run them in SLI.

I don't think reviewers are testing every possible scenario. Look at the ROG Swift -- 99.9% of the screens have massive inversion problems and yet only one review even mentioned it and wasn't even critical of it.

15. Asgardi

Asgardi Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 980 Ti OC
    Hah

Yes it has been funny to read all these many pages of bragging here about an issue which is extremely difficult to reproduce and took like 4 months to find. Yes there is a minor glitch with specs BUT:

1. Everybody bought the card based on performance test results
    2. Tests, (even done here) clearly state that this card was/is for this price still a no-brainer
    4. I, like majority of people here, have had zero issues with the card

Would be nice to get some compensation of course, but come on, even Apple has lied more about their specs and done so more than once.

16. Deathchild

Deathchild Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    This mostly only affects 4K + SLI users so (or in cases where you go over the 3.5GB threshold even with a single card), the rest can stay happy.

17. GPU

GPU Guest

posted this last weekend on another site taken from the nv site when this started to go bad

GTX 980 Memory Specs:
    7.0 GbpsMemory Clock
    4 GBStandard Memory Config
    GDDR5Memory Interface
    256-bitMemory Interface Width

GTX 970 Memory Specs:
    7.0 GbpsMemory Clock
    4 GBStandard Memory Config
    GDDR5Memory Interface
    256-bitMemory Interface Width
    224Memory Bandwidth (GB/sec)

nv states memory config. is the same in the spec's so the 970 & 980 should work the same .
    then nv states well it's not really the same because the gtx970 have some parts cut so we used 3.5 + .5gb is that 4 GBStandard Memory Config ????

18. ScoobyDooby

ScoobyDooby Guest

GPU:
    1080Ti & Acer X34
    And yet the internet is ablaze with troll and whine posts, youtube videos, AMD making new marketing adverts over it?

Talk about hysteria where its not merrited.

What else has Nvidia done? Maybe they also won the tour de france a bunch of times and it will be discovered they were doping?

That's what this all reminds me of.. an issue where everyone and their dog is piling on to it, for whatever reason(s) they have, I dunno, because its cool to? kinda like how everyone piled onto Ubisoft for AC:U..

Its sad to see also how this forum and reddit is non-stop talk about this issue, and that 970 users are actually insane enough to wish to return the card if not just chucking it out the window. Idiots.

19. Deathchild

Deathchild Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    Well maybe it is merited? Kinda big thing they did actually, and especially if it's found out, things are bound to get crazy lol. :D But it'll settle down. :)

Well.. those single card 970 users might face issues when games with higher demands on VRAM come out.. then there may be issues, I'd be wary of that too tbh.. And maybe even a bit worried. Because I wouldn't have to have a crippled card with 3.5GB (real) VRAM.

20. The Laughing Ma

The Laughing Ma Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 4070ti
    To sum it up

The issue with the 970Gtx only became an issue when someone somewhere told everyone else that it was an issue. The shocking thing is the number of idiots jumping on the bandwagon.

Look at the forums here, until a few days ago their is little if any people complaining about the 970Gtx. Such a huge issue that no one knew or cared about it until they were told to care about it.