970 memory allocation issue revisited (Part 2)

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by morbias, Jan 29, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rich_Guy

Rich_Guy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 2070S X-Trio
  2. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    Wanting to discuss things, I have no issue with. But there's been little real discussion.

I can understand people feeling like they've been lied to. Those that bought based on specs, were lied to. I can even understand the need to vent....you've seen my posts. I've done more than my fare share of venting.

What I'm having issue with, though, is the people coming here to bitch and moan about how they want **** for free. I'm not fond of the ones coming here from the AMD section simple to flame NVidia and 970 users for this "incident". I'm also not fond of those responding by flaming AMD. Those of us that bought GTX970's bought them because we liked what the reviews said. Regardless of the specs, most would have still bought the cards. At the end of the day, the performance is all that really matters.

Out of all the cards I've bought over the years (somewhere around 4 dozen in total), I've only ever regretted buying 4 cards before now.... Radeon 9600XT, HD2400, MX200, FX5600XT. Surprisingly, the spec change isn't what's starting to make me regret this card. It's the users that insist on flaming NVidia, AMD and each other over this "incident" that are causing it.

I did in fact e-mail Roy Taylor earlier and I have yet to read the response from him. I'll be doing so after this is posted. If there's anything interesting, I'll pass it on. If it appears to be a "form response" I won't waste anyone else's time by posting it.

I disagree. I slammed AMD for rebadging the HD5770 as HD6770 and I did the same to NVidia for rebadging the 8800GT as 9800GT. Both were deceitful in their marketing of those cards, just as NVidia was with the GTX970 and it's specs.

3. Portuogral

Portuogral Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X
    A BIOS update will not do anything. The card's hardware is what it is and so is the performance.

Even if a driver release happens - nVIDIA is releasing drivers all the time -, that will solve only memory allocation problems not increase performance just because there are 4GB being loaded with assets at all time.

That's why nVIDIA PR's now saying "there will be no performance increasing driver". Of course not. Saying that is same thing as saying "our card is faulty and can perform better than it's performing". But the ugly truth is that the card isn't faulty and can't perform any better than it does (besides the ocasional game by game tweaks). But it does perform wonderfuly for $329 comparing to it's bigger brother GTX 980.

The bottleneck comparing to GTX 980 are the SMM not the ROPs. According to specs, the GTX 970 SMMs are capable of 52 pixels per clock while the ROPs are capable of 56 pixels per clock. The SMMs can't even fill the ROPs per clock

I bet they will do something about memory allocation so players can see the all 4GB of RAM being used (loaded) but, the performance stays the same.

If they do that, and the heuristics manages to fill the 4GB of VRAM and MSI Afterburner monitoring shows the 4000MB painted on screen, I will have a great time reading about the "placebo effect" that will flood the forums, because suddenly the GTX 970 will be "soooo much better now".

//Reason for edit: "pixels per clock" correction

Last edited: Jan 30, 2015
  4. Neo Cyrus

Neo Cyrus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    黃仁勳 stole my 4090
    Welp, it turned out to be nothing at all. They offer a 10% discount code for the XFX 290X at newegg.com, not .ca, so it's useless to me. Their price is $470 on the .ca site, what a joke.

5. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    Wish you had posted that before I wasted my time sending the second e-mail as instructed by what looked like a form response from Roy Taylor.... A 10% discount is nothing if you can't sell the 970 for enough to cover the remaining cost + shipping.

6. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    buying a xfx 290x would be an awful decision. their coolers are second to none... when it comes to bad coolers.

7. nanogenesis

nanogenesis Guest

GPU:
    MSI R9 390X 1178|6350
    Hmm, is it just me and my corrupt mind?

'We will not boost GTX970 performance' doesnt that sound like they can and are holding it back? lol can't would have been a better word.

8. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    I wouldn't keep the stock cooler anyway. The only reason my 970 still has it's stock cooler, is because it's the TwinFrozrV cooler.

9. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    Just saying, for those who are considering switching to the 290x, by all means do it but don't go with one of the worst cards in the 290x range.

10. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    Seeing as how you're unlikely to really get anything back for the 970, you're more than likely to be taking a loss doing so. If all they're offering is 10% off, it's really not a "great deal" for most of us. I mean, sure, it's nice that they're doing it when they don't have to. It's just not a deal that's beneficial to most of us.

11. Loophole35

Loophole35 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080ti SC
    What are you doing in here other than being a blatant fanboi and flaming the thread :ban:

12. ---TK---

---TK--- Guest

GPU:
    2x 980Ti Gaming 1430/7296
  13. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
  14. Noisiv

Noisiv Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2070 Super
    So much for superior NVIDIA's marketing.
    Any fool can market a great product. It takes a special one to shoot it down :rolleyes:
    As for AMD's marketing - classy as always.

And contrary to the past, XFX has very good coolers in 290/X.

15. Loophole35

Loophole35 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080ti SC
    I still don't trust their custom boards. Personal preference. I stay away from ASUS cards as well.

16. JohnLai

JohnLai Guest

GPU:
    ASUS GTX 970 3.5+0.5GB
    Oh darn it. When nvidia announced the driver improvement stuff for GTX970, I was kinda okay with it. Now they are changing their tone :

http://www.kitguru.net/components/g...ost-geforce-gtx-970-performance-with-drivers/

EDIT:
    WTH? Guess I will forced to sell my card at much more lower price before the fiasco. If I keep on delaying, I would be offered at much lower price later.

Before any of you tell me to go for AMD offer, sorry to said, that offer isn't applicable at my nation.

17. Fender178

Fender178 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070 | GTX 1060
    nevermind

18. Fender178

Fender178 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070 | GTX 1060
    You could try getting a r9 290 if it is at a decent price in your location. Since the r9 290x offer doesnt apply to your location.

19. JohnLai

JohnLai Guest

GPU:
    ASUS GTX 970 3.5+0.5GB
    R9 290 kinda.....interesting. :) But it would better if I can get R9 290X instead.
    Sigh.....:bang:

Let see what will happen in next two weeks before I make final decision to sell it at low price to my potential buyer.

20. bo3bber

bo3bber Guest

GPU:
    GTX 760 SLI
    Just an observation that complaining about the complaining is not really helping anyone and degrades the value of the thread.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.