Middle Earth: Shadow of Mordor GeForce GTX 970 VRAM stress test

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Jan 28, 2015.

1. TeX_UK

TeX_UK Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080 FE
    Well get a refund that's the other option they give you.

2. Emille

Emille Guest

GPU:
    1080 Ti Aorus Extreme
    You say that like it is not an inconvenience to have to do so or that it unreasonable to be angry about it.

How many back and forth emails do you have to send to get them to approve a refund, or whatever other hoops you have to jump through.

I doubt if you walked into a vendor and wanted a cash refundbon the spot because nvidia messed up they would pony up the cash without a fuss.

Even with a refund it's still a load of ####.

Between this and the Gigabyte motherboard revision downgrade fiasco it's hard to trust tech makers.

Evga precision drama as well.

3. Hari_Seldon

Hari_Seldon Guest

GPU:
    Zotac GTX970 AMP! Extreme
    ... and Samsung 840 EVO drop in performance even after official "fix".

4. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    Great right up and dont really make nvidia look good. 3.5gb with 196 gb/sec vs that remainder .5gb that has 28gb/sec what i get out of that is performance across the memory is not equal.

Nvidia cherry picks use new outlets that they can control what is said.

Guru3d is beyond said control. atlest compared to those sites

5. Deathchild

Deathchild Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    That's ****ed up man, nvidia got owned lol. :D

6. chalky

chalky Guest

GPU:
    Zotac RTX 4090
    Last edited: Jan 29, 2015
  7. GoldenTiger

GoldenTiger Master Guru

8. omnimodis78

omnimodis78 Active Member

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080FTW
    Agreed! It's a really facetious offer on their part because any sensible person knows it won't be as simple as contacting that guy. I can totally sympathize with those who are really turned off from the whole 970 thing and just want their money back, and I'm truly hoping that a few people who do follow through with it will post about their experience so that perhaps we can catch NVIDIA in another lie. That said, I like my 970 and if I broke it and had to get another one, I would - but in principle I do wish a lot of headache for them over this fiasco.

9. zer0_c0ol

zer0_c0ol Ancient Guru

GPU:
    FuryX cf
  10. PhazeDelta1

PhazeDelta1 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080 FTW
    Nothing in that post even remotely makes him an apologist. Cool your jets.

11. zer0_c0ol

zer0_c0ol Ancient Guru

GPU:
    FuryX cf
    i know and i am sorry, but i am enjoying all of this to much.. i apologize again

12. ScoobyDooby

ScoobyDooby Guest

GPU:
    1080Ti & Acer X34
    Bolded.. agree.

I am happy as pie with my cards and feel that my investment was totally worth it.. the 970s are beast cards regardless of this.

That being said, Nvidia should have to face some music on this situation.. that also being said, I think the humongous stink that so many people are making over it is ENTIRELY uncalled for.

Going so far as to suddenly look at their 970 and think it an expensive paperweight? Give me a break.. Also, i'm very confident a lot of these "complainers" are AMD fans.. wouldn't put it past them. just look at the cheeky ad they just came out with.. Honestly, to me that is pretty juvenile, and for the record, I'd say the same if it were reversed and it was Nvidia saying it about AMD.

13. (.)(.)

(.)(.) Banned

GPU:
    GTX 970
    At the end of the day though, this could all be avoided on the consumers side if they took the time to do research into the gfx card instead of just buying the next iteration of gpu that has GTXx70 or GTXx80. You are always going to get burnt in someway when you decide to be an early adopter of a new hardware or games.

Wait a few months after launch, you dont need the latest and greatest the moment its released. Waiting only has benefits Better drivers, know issues, benchmarks for more than just a few games from a few hardware sites but also from multiple users, lower price points or even news of a refresh or vendor variations (better cooling/overclocks).

Consumers need to start showing some self control and responsibility also. We all know how dodgy these companies are along with the gaming industry as a whole. A gpu vendor pulling a fast one isnt new, it happens nearly very gen.

Im sick and tired of seeing pc gamers whinge and moan because they got ripped off. Is your own damn fault.

Last edited: Jan 30, 2015
  14. Emille

Emille Guest

GPU:
    1080 Ti Aorus Extreme
    how is anyone supposed to do research about it when nvidia didn't give that information to anyone and harware reviewers themselves didn't know about it.

There was no precedent for this particular problem and so no one looked for it.

It's not like someone bought a TN panel monitor after never having owned one and is complaining about well documented poor viewing angles...this problem didn't exist anywhere else.

Imagine is a tv maker was selling a 4k tv except the screen was made up of 2 panels wedged together and he top half of the screen could only show half the colour range of the bottom half of the screen due to different panel quality. No one would be giving them a free pass yet because it is a pc component manufacturer they can get away with anything and all of a sudden it is the buyers fault.

A class action lawsuit could and should come out of this, only when they lose more money than they saved with their cheapskate move will they learn not to do it again.

15. fry178

fry178 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 2080S WB
    @chalky/Emille

where does Nv say: "4GB Vram AT full (256 bit) speed"?

again:
    -the box says 4GB, which the card has.
    (at least the last time i checked, 3.5+0.5 is still 4...)

-the box says 256bit wide bus, which the card has.

plus: you buy hardware based on performance shown in benchmarks/reviews, not because the card had certain spec numbers...

so legally speaking, no reason to allow for refund/return or anything else,
    nor suing (which i realise, is a common thing over here).
    and even if, you wont be able to win against Nv, maybe the brand behind the cards, but as long as no one advertised "4GB vram @ full 256bit bandwidth, i doubt "you" will win.

not saying it was "nice" from Nvidias side...

and again: who owns a car that gets/exceeds gas mileage (info) that was released by the manufacturer?

sued THEM yet??

16. chismo

chismo Guest

GPU:
    I'm surprised more people haven't mentioned this "almost 3.6 GB VRAM usage" isn't going to indicate much.

17. LNCPapa

LNCPapa Master Guru

GPU:
    2xEVGA 1080 Ti FTW3
    So what should we do to AMD about this then?
    [​IMG]
    3GB + 3GB is 6GB, right?

18. PhazeDelta1

PhazeDelta1 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080 FTW
    Well, technically it does have 6GB of memory.

:funny:

19. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    nvm, I wrote something stupid :D

20. amoshe80

amoshe80 Guest

GPU:
    evga gtx 970 sc acx 2.0
    Just got buck from the store and they gave me a full refund on the card.glad i've got ridded of this card.