970 memory allocation issue revisited (Part 2)

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by morbias, Jan 29, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    I know. My card has been flawless, but all the bitching and moaning is ruining this section. It's rare for me to ever have a problem with a graphics card though. Usually it's just some stupid setting that needs to be changed that was wrong by default.

2. rflair

rflair Don Coleus Staff Member

GPU:
    5700XT
    Well your going to get people who want to figure this thing out, talk about its technical merits and follies.

Your going to get people who feel lied to, they are going to vent, instigators will just help drive their fury.

And you get the ones who say, 'hey I own it, it is still the same performing card' .

The last two clash pretty good.

3. nanogenesis

nanogenesis Guest

GPU:
    MSI R9 390X 1178|6350
    Has nvidia ever done Saturday driver releases?

If its not tomorrow, then the new driver is probably going to be next week, or it might actually be some GFE profiles(lol).

I think the official word from nvidia is 'working as intended'. Atleast this is what support everywhere gives you unless you pester them to connect to a senior.

4. Dave4321

Dave4321 Guest

GPU:
    8GB
    I was ready to try to disprove you, but the Hardocp Asus 970 Strix review shows the same thing. The AMD cards stuttering more. Although they do not say how much ram was used so the benchmarks are moot if it is under 3.5GB.

It looks like the german site actually disproves your point anyway. You need to go to the bottom chart and then clock on each card.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2015

5. Reddoguk

Reddoguk Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX3090 GB GamingOC
    Ah these first world issues are so pathetic that i'm starting to believe that the human race is certainly doomed to fail from the beginning.

Nvidia made a small mistake in the technical specs of it's most popularly brought product the 970.

Now since we live in a first world society we expect everyone to jump on the suing culture narrative and totally rage on a company who made a small typo.

Seems that now people fully understand the architecture of the 970 that their card is suddenly broken or not fully working as expected. This is ridiculous behavior from some 970 owners who suddenly feel that Nvidia owes them something.

I too want a refund because my free 980 also suffers from stuttering when i play @ ridiculously high settings with everything max ultra 4gb+ Vram. I mean i don't understand it, why is my 980 not working correctly when it hits crazy high vram usage. :(

Just because i don't own a 970 doesn't mean i can't make a statement about people that do.

Seems that most people couldn't really give a ****, they got what they paid for performance wise and really like the card. While others seem to be raging about a few Rops and .5gb of vram that can't really be used for gaming.

Nvidia is already working on optimizations that will make peoples systems load all the irrelevant stuff into that .5gb. Since the OS uses around 300mbs of vram even while idle means you won't really be missing out on much once the driver is up and running.

You can stop the whining now as Nvidia has said sorry, will release a new driver and given the green light on full refunds. People already talking about taking their 970 back to the shop for a full refund and then rebuying the same card for a knock down price. lol, if i ever did lol then this is one of those times.

6. Dave4321

Dave4321 Guest

GPU:
    8GB
    Yea that chart over 3.5 GB from the German site does not look good for the 970

7. Portuogral

Portuogral Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X
    And the proper R9 290X 4G chart:

[​IMG]

Source: http://www.pcgameshardware.de/Geforce-GTX-970-Grafikkarte-259503/Specials/zu-wenig-VRAM-1149056/

Both above 50ms, under 15FPS, with both card being pretty much useless (three cards useless if you add GTX 980 at those settings). Now, do you really think this is an everyday gaming scenario situation?

Iam not hidding anything. Just trying to keep this trolling free... is hard. I know

8. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    You need to re-upload the images to an image hosting site instead of trying to hotlink them

9. Portuogral

Portuogral Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X
    Fair enough. I've linked the source though.

10. rflair

rflair Don Coleus Staff Member

GPU:
    5700XT
    Its not the fact that it is an every day gaming scenario, it is just that at full memory usage the frame times pics show what the disadvantage of the memory structure is. 980 being best followed by 290x and the wide swinging 970.

It is not to show gaming scenario, just bus limitation.

11. Dave4321

Dave4321 Guest

GPU:
    8GB
    I guess a better test would be at 1080 over 3.5 GB. That way the gpu would not be so taxed although I am not sure it makes a difference. GPU should only affect fps not frame time. It does look like the 970 has much more variance on these settings. There is no flat section on its chart.

12. wtbarms

wtbarms Member Guru

GPU:
    3080 fe
    I wouldn't count on it. The original post has been modified to remove any mention of a driver optimization.

https://forums.geforce.com/default/...tx-970-3-5gb-vram-issue/post/4438090/#4438090

13. GoldenTiger

GoldenTiger Master Guru

[​IMG]

Nuff said.

14. ---TK---

---TK--- Guest

GPU:
    2x 980Ti Gaming 1430/7296
    If you had 2 I may of traded cards with you, sidegrade but had this card a year already.
    @mods thanks for getting rid of that guy. props!

15. HeavyHemi

HeavyHemi Guest

GPU:
    GTX1080Ti
    Yeah...it appears Shadow of Mordor is horribly optimized. Thanks for pointing that out.

16. Portuogral

Portuogral Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X
    True. But, shouldn't those spikes be attributed to teh GTX 970 getting out of cuda cores to render pixels? Or maybe the heuristics isn't capable of dealing with such extreme situations. In either case, there's no conclusive proof GTX 970 has a hardware design flaw - at most it may have a driver flaw, very much like AMD had back when I owned a HD5970 and used only half of it for 3 years.

I'm willing to give nVIDIA an opportunity to fix the driver.

If they don't fix the driver, then I was wrong and nVIDiA was/is full of the proverbial stuff from bulls. I will get a GTX 980. I will have to forget my GTX 970 Sli dream and start dreaming on a GTX 980 SLi

17. Redemption80

Redemption80 Guest

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    What driver flaw did the 5970 have with vram?

As much as I think this whole thing is a non issue, I still struggle to understand why anyone would get a 980 instead.

18. Portuogral

Portuogral Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X
    The AMD flaw was about "Crossfire". It happened about 2 years ago. It was a driver problem, very much like I think GTX 970 has right now.

I think the only situattion a GTX 980 would be better than a GTX 970 is on a SLi system @ 4K. So, yeah...

19. Redemption80

Redemption80 Guest

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    I honestly don't remember that, I do remember alot of complaints about scaling but never that it didn't have or use the full 1GB vram.

I think the 980 would be better in every situation, just not enough of a difference, even at 4k.

20. Portuogral

Portuogral Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X
    I never said HD5970 had a VRAM problem... What I said was it was a "driver problem" (crossfire related. Not scalling but, stuttering), very much like I think GTX 970 has right now in certain games. The reasons behind the driver flaw may be different - and they are -, but, is a driver flaw nonetheless.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.