Techland Announce Dying Light (PS3/360/PC/PS4/XBOXONE)

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by Stone Gargoyle, May 23, 2013.

1. scatman839

scatman839 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080, KD55XD800
  2. Daftshadow

Daftshadow Maha Guru

GPU:
    Zotac RTX 3080
    Draw Distance and Shadow quality are huge impact hitters. Setting Shadow quality to medium and draw distance in the middle gave me quite a boost in fps. This game has some bad optimizations going on.

setting Shadows between medium and high, i dont really notice a big difference visually.

3. Doom112

Doom112 Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 980 TF V
  4. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black
    Nothing wrong if its AMD cpu, cpu overhead is minimal @ console (it can have over 50k direct draw primites, directx11 is limited to max ~18k).

Gpu on the other hand is just too slow - 1.8tflops is not much, even though they say its enough @ consoles.

5. (.)(.)

(.)(.) Banned

GPU:
    GTX 970

Thats got nothing to do with it. People need to look at MS/Sony's/Nintendo's inhouse/first party exclusives before they have a go at the consoles hardware.

You cant blame AMD cpus for this or any other AAA thirdparty titles crap optimization when there are games like Second Son and Killzone 4 running on the PS4 without issue and looking actually next-gen. Second Son puts any current PC or console title to shame in both performance and optimization.

The only problem here is the game. Not enough testing, optimizations. The fact that the latest and greatest GPUs are struggling with max settings, lack of any real AA, a distance slider that has barely any effect on actual detail as if the slider is IQ level 1 and one end and IQ level 2 at the other, and of course those tacked on Nvidia features that are required for mediocre looking games such as this one, to convince gamers to upgrade when really, gamers just need to start demanding better development from game publishers.

I find extremely disturbing that whenever a poorly developed game gets released, the first thing the so called all knowing "master race" wants to do, is think that they need to upgrade. Well done, you're now a true consumer.

To be fair though, going by what Ive read and watched, Nvidia's tech seems to be the least demanding thing in this title. So props to them and i hope this continues if they are going to inject these, imo, pointless features into games.

I dont for a second blame developers, I think it would be unfair to do so as we all know publishers are like the modern day SS. They degrade, destroy and suck the life out of everything they come across. PC gamers should know better by now than to pre-order or purchase games like this on launch day. All the signs were there that this was going to be a broken port on day 1 and I would say I told you so, but thats just petty and I think the fact that gamers have actually paid upwards of $30 for this game is punishment enough.

Clearly publishers and the odd lazy devs can keep pushing out crap and no matter how many times gamers get burnt they'll always come running back for their next hit. So really, no one really has the right to complain about broken games any more, considering you're helping fan the flames by purchasing these shoody ports/games everytime.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2015
  6. bwat47

bwat47 Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 970
    I've actually found this game to be a pretty solid port. has some cpu utilization issues, but it runs just dandy if you turn view distance all the way down.

note: the view distance setting in this game is overkill/misleading. turning it down does not result in pop in, it seems to almost exclusively control lod detail distance. turning it down all the way won't result in zombies popping in or anything like that, in fact it barely makes any noticeable difference outside of direct screenshot comparisons.

dying light with view distance turned all the way down still has WAY less pop-in than many other recent open world games, such as fc4.

this game wouldn't have nearly as many performance complaints if the view distance slider either wasn't included or had a much lower limit lol.

The settings are pretty good overall, has good fov settings, very extensive keybinding settings, my only real complaint is the forced chromatic aberration. haven't noticed any weird bugs or any stability issues at all.

7. CPC_RedDawn

CPC_RedDawn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PNY RTX4090
    Post deleted

8. bwat47

bwat47 Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 970
    If you turn view distance down vram usage seems to drop significantly even when using high textures.

9. Digika

Digika Member Guru

GPU:
    GTX 670
    Any idea how to disable/get rid of this bullcrap****:

[​IMG]

10. StrikeQ

StrikeQ Guest

GPU:
    1080 Waterforce 2139/5500
    Well, I wanted to try that but it just spam launches dying light instances non stop. Made a bunch of jibberish named folders on my hard drive as well.

11. CPC_RedDawn

CPC_RedDawn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PNY RTX4090
    Yea I fell for it too!

SORRY ABOUT THAT GUYS!

DO NOT DOWNLOAD THAT!

12. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black
    Ok I've played it a bit and done some testing :nerd:, cpu was @ 4.6ghz, gpu 1200mhz in end
    Shadow difference high vs medium ~ 8fps, not much, but yeah sometimes its just enough to keep it above 60fps.. e.g. 54fps vs 63fps

Looks like medium is 1024 and high 2048 reso..
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

sometimes it looks better more blurry - except palm trees look nicer at high
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG]

I noticed this with cpu usage;
    yeah 1 thread gets 100% bottleneck, but only when looking around really fast. In this moment it can have 56-57fps drops, otherwise it spreads even.

I could run @ min* 60fps+ @ 15 view distance bar steeps. *That's if i ignore this quick turnaround cpu 1 thread bottleneck.

Max19 steeps (min ~ 45-47fps). Default Ultra 50% is 9 steeps.

cpu bound locations @15 view steeps.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

btw forgot to raise osd size, its kinda hard to see.. sorry about that :)

I think that multi core glitch/taskmanger fix should actually prevent these quick fps drops.. He said it doesnt hit 100% by 1 thread anymore, so that is a good sign.

Vram doesnt matter much as long its fast enough.., it will use as much as it can, just like any game lately..
    Max I saw 3030mb (mostly by cut scenes) and it ran smooth with or without fps cap :)
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

Story with that kid as a boss is kinda meh, cinematic model face animations look stiff, but ok I'll ignore that.
    Gameplay first wdf moment was; so mirrors Edge meets Prince of persia meets Dead Island :D, it works good in the end.
    zombies are slow and stupid, but first more crowded moment was very intense, had to make a run for it lol

13. Digika

Digika Member Guru

GPU:
    GTX 670
    I foundthe script responsible for this **** glow effect, it is, obviously, varlist_glow.scr. problem is, disabling it makes your sun look like little yellow dot:

[​IMG]

This is absolutely pathetic. Chrome Engine forever will be piece of **** because of incompetent devs.

14. berkos

berkos Guest

GPU:
    r9 270x, 980
    this is not directly targeted response to you but this reasoning has to stop. If you need the BEST gpus to run games with turned down settings its not optimized nor good. Every AAA game exept DA:I released since q3 last year runs like crap on anything lower than 970. People owning 970/980 and reporting it runs 60+ fps actually means nothing, naturally it should run good, there is crazy amount of horsepower in those cards. it like owning F1 car and being happy if you can just overtake ford fiesta, you should be able to run circles around it.
    few years ago, if you had bestbuy perf/price ratio card you could have run any game at 60. You expected fps to tank only if you run crazy amount of msaa. hell, this could apply to consoles to, ever since ps2, almost every game released in early-mid life of a console lifetime it ran at 60, games which had massive fps drops were released usually at the end of a console life to keep with pc counterpart.

15. DiceAir

DiceAir Maha Guru

GPU:
    Galax 980 ti HOF
    All these performance issues is the reason I don't play many games anymore

16. Darren Hodgson

Darren Hodgson Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    Just noticed that GeForce Experience has finally added a profile for Dying Light...it recommends maxed out 1920x1200 settings for me but with the Draw Distance slider set to 80% not the 55% I was using!!! Must admit to being a bit surprised at that given that it uses more VRAM and even with 4 GB my GTX 980 is nearly always using 3.9 GB+. :O

17. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 4090 Gaming OC
    How did you notice that? My GFE downloads something once a week or so but I never know what since it's never written.

Anyone tried SLI with the new profile?

18. Darren Hodgson

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    Because I checked late last night and the Dying Light profile was not there then and this morning it was. ;)

Played just over 4 hours of this game now, roughly about 50% missions and 50% exploring/messing around. I mostly like it but there are some disappointing aspects to the game design:

1. Cut and paste building design - I know it's a slum area but there are too many identical room layouts and blocks of buildings, such that it is hard to know if I've been there before or not. There is a map but a bit more visual variety would not have gone amiss just to make the areas all seem more distinct from one another.

2. Limited items - Containers, chests, bins and cupboards all contain no more than two items, giving the game a very artificial feel. I would much rather have had something like Skyrim where containers can contain numerous items. Picking a medium lock only to be rewarded with a candy bar is just so demoralising (not to mention nonsensical since why would anyone lock away sweets?)! Also, rooms have cupboard, drawers and chests that cannot be opened; apparently because each room can only have X number of items in it. There are also Ford vans with tantalisingly partially opened rear doors that cannot actually be opened fully, why? Again, these things make Dying Light feel more videogame-y that it needs to IMO.

Also, items seem to respawn too quickly, again, making it harder to know if I have been there before (see point 1).

3. Inaccessible buildings - Why are there so many locked/inaccessible doors? Why can I not break them down with a metal pipe or pick the locks? I know some areas encourage you to climb vertically in order to enter through holes in the roof, and I like that, but there are way too many doors that you should be able to open but can't because the designers didn't bother. Given the cut and paste design of the slum area I'm in though maybe that's a good thing as I suspect we'd have just seen more of the same old room designs. That said, we would have access to more resources. Very olld school...I was hoping for a more realistic world in this game but the reality is that apart from verticality this is exactly the same design as the two Dead Island games. At least Ubisoft gave us more buildings to enter in Assassin's Creed: Unity...

4. Weapons - They break too easily and while we can now repair them during combat (I don't believe the Dead Island games had this feature but correct me if I'm wrong...), which is a godsend, I still expect metal objects to last longer than, say, wooden ones. Yes, I can increase the durability with add-ons and the game encourages me away from combat but the limited inventory space and the fact that I cannot completely avoid the zombies means that it is all too easy to for me to suddenly find myself with a collection of broken weapons and no metal to repair them.

5. Lack of auto-save or manual save options - Auto checkpoints seem to work well for the most part but since I'm only playing this in single player (solo offline mode) then I should be able to save when I want, say, if I die while exploring and wish to continue from my save. When you die you are returned to the safehouse which for me is the Tower and it can be frustrating having to retrace the route again.

Despite those criticisms, I think the game is decent and fun, deserving of a 7/10 at most (at least so far), but compared with Dead Island, which was a last gen franchise, there is no real improvement to the open world format other than the addition of parkour. I was hoping that more buildings would be accessible, that weapons would last longer (i.e. behave more realistically) and that building interiors (bar safehouses) would have more individually to them.

I'm actually surprised that the 360 and PS3 versions of this game were cancelled because at the time I thought that meant the game would be a true next-gen sequel with lots of innovations and improvements but in truth the game design is identical to Dead Island, even down to the crafting and skill system. It's more polished but still a little scrappy in terms of visuals (that chromatic aberration is a real eyesore that really needs to go IMO) and performance still has that juddery Chrome engine feel for me (it never feels completely smooth, not even indoors) even though I have a decent PC.

19. jimdove

jimdove Guest

GPU:
    Windforce 1080ti
    well, ive got "outside" just killed a few biters, met the doc in his lorry etc.. No performance loss from when inside the tower for me. Ive turned off motion blur and ****ty dof. I HATE BLURRING OF ANY KIND! now if there was only a way to turn off more crappy "fx" that just are there to cover up for low framerate/textures like CA

20. Darren Hodgson

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    @ jimdove - There should be an option to turn off film grain and chromatic aberration at least IMO; both of those together with the mediocre AA and depth of field effect can make the game look ugly in motion, making backgrounds shimmery and blurry.

That said, has there ever been a really good-looking Chrome engine game? Seems to me that while Chrome 6 is an improvement, it still lags behind Frostbite, Unreal Engine 4 and CryEngine. There's no tessellation for example and it is very CPU dependent.