970 memory allocation issue revisited

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by alanm, Jan 23, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. stevevnicks

stevevnicks Guest

GPU:
    Don't need one
    just correct myself on that maxed out setting in arma3 36fps in tanks part ram peaked only to 3.4gig then sat round 3.346gig so no stutter smooth fps no lag I couldn't get it to go over 3.4gig I try diff map later.

forgot to add i was using max dsr setting in game. 3840x2160

Last edited: Jan 28, 2015
  2. cowie

cowie Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX
    lol I just turn the fan to 45% run gpuz render and its 94c in a minute or two but I get better with heating 55% fan and 92c mmmmmmm so cozy in here now

I sweat when I get cf going lol

3. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    See? AMD always give you a 2 for 1 product. a gpu, an ac unit, in some cases also a leafblower. I really don't see why some people hate them. TK you should be ashamed.

4. ---TK---

---TK--- Guest

GPU:
    2x 980Ti Gaming 1430/7296
    I don`t hate them just prefer sli.

5. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black
    Some random low vram thoughts, for those who think 3.5gb "faster" ram won't cut it anymore,

I had both 570 and 580GTX and I hit vram limit by both and didnt stutter, they slowly capped the wall ~ 5-10mb lower and that stopped all stutters by games that might have had it, guess to reserve for extra stream pre-allocation or for extra driver overhead, 570gtx 1272 -1278mb, 580gtx 1530- 1534mb

Same thing now with 780gtx and 3072mb, max i saw was ~3064mb in SoM.

I wouldn't worry much about this current 3.5gb "limit", it will get fixed for sure, driver or bios, maybe its even Windows issue (mostly win7).

6. stevevnicks

stevevnicks Guest

GPU:
    Don't need one
    I don't miss the 2 powercolor 290x's full leaf blower edtions the noise was that bad it was shameful when I showed my mates I admit they did take the piss but hay glad they where faulty and exchanged for the 970's lol

7. cowie

cowie Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX
    you don't hate them my dumpa the poor 7980 card i lent you came back all sorts of messed up you totally hate them don't lie:)

not that I blame you with all the black screen crap they have to offer at the other camp

8. cowie

cowie Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX
    I did not even think that info was on the box

wow a 380x? wowsers you might get it to work in the summer you Canadians stick tight

9. stevevnicks

stevevnicks Guest

GPU:
    Don't need one
    thing is even if Nvidia did a recall what could you get that's as good for the same money ??

the shop I got mine from would be well p!ssed off, because he already gave me a full refund of £840 for the 2 r9 290x that I had for 7 months let alone say hay fella guess what after 5 months you now have to give me another full refund that's 12 months of free high end hardware lol

now I wouldn't mind if upgrading every year went like this .. bargin suppose its fair for beta testing hardware for them lol

10. Gaizokubanou

Gaizokubanou Maha Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire HD 7970
    This is the weird situation... **** sucks that they were lying but in the end it doesn't even really matter?

11. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    no it doesn't really matter if you're in the market for one of the high end gpus for a good price.

12. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    sure... but here's one for you.. if nvidia said at the launch that the 970 had 1 rop. would you still have bought it? or not?

13. death_samurai

death_samurai Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Palit 970 GTX jetstream
    Nope it doesn't when it's on 1920 x 1200 but on shadows of mordor i find that i can increase the res upwards to 200% even on my 24 inch monitor and the performance drops obviously which is normal and i believe that is the 4k res which needs an sli to run smoothly.

14. umeng2002

umeng2002 Maha Guru

GPU:
    4080 Super
    Yeah that's the issue. Even if I got my $350 back, I'd still want a 970 because there is nothing from nVidia that matches the performance.

I don't want AMD because of their driver issues and they run hotter.

But there needs to be some sort of compensation.

This is essentially a 3.5 GB card unless ALL titles can run fine (except the 1-4 % hit) when using all 4 GB.

From various forums some games run fine using all the 4 GB, and some choke.

15. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    games like?

16. stevevnicks

stevevnicks Guest

GPU:
    Don't need one
    the thing with AMD that put me off them was black screen and red screen issues plus they pull way to many watts for what they are silly amount of watts just to play games in this day and age let alone how hot they get when in crossfire ..

had a hd 6850 worked fine never had any problems
    then got an vtx 7870 plagued with red screen issues never would rund at factory settings so had to down clock it to get it to run stable
    then 2 x amd r 9 290x's both turned out to be faulty
    now two gtx970's that I been lied to about whoopee so much fun throwing money in the air lol but more happy with the gtx970 than I ever was with any of the amd cards so I dunno what to make of any of the companys really ...

17. stevevnicks

stevevnicks Guest

GPU:
    Don't need one
    hmm odd thing now is when I look back how do I feel I have been treated now hhmmm probs like a mug but there ya go as long as ya a happy mug guess it don't matter lol ?
    I mean by AMD and Nvidia not asus,gigabyte .. I think im going to feel sorry for myself for abit PMSL

18. xddevv231

xddevv231 Guest

GPU:
    1A
    I have had AMD as well as Nvidia (currently using a GTX 770) and never ever had a single AMD driver problem. I think in this day and age that is such a misconception that with some research be traced back to a system configuration problem, not a driver problem.

Anyways, I am glad I returned the GTX 970 I bought from Best Buy. I would HATE to think only 3.5GB out of 4GB is useable regardless of performance hits.

19. rflair

rflair Don Coleus Staff Member

GPU:
    5700XT
    The AMD trolling is going to stop now.

20. stevevnicks

stevevnicks Guest

GPU:
    Don't need one
    if you look at how low the specs are for the 970 now it makes the r9 290x look a stupid waste of inefficient outdated gpu power so its not all bad...

the more i think about it the more I feel the only way really I would swap out these gtx970's is if Nvidia offered me free of charge 2 980's in exchange which i would not expect them to do, but there is nothing else to choose that I can think of that's better for the same money .. stick or twist ... stick I guess lol

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.