Ubisoft might block Far Cry 4 copies bought through third-party key sellers

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Jan 27, 2015.

1. Repo Man

Repo Man Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060Ti
    Care to elaborate ? You seem to have a lot of built up anger towards these sites but you don't say why. I'm going to echo Hilbert's post and say that these sites bring some much needed competition to the market which is healthy for economy in general not to mention that there's absolutely nothing wrong in trying to bag a bargain.

When people are shopping for a new phone/car/TV/washing machine etc. they shop around because people in general aren't quite as dumb as they seem to be. Nothing wrong in shopping around for a game deal, its ok to do it with a boxed copy so why not a digital one ?

2. Sprig

Sprig Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX560
    I like stories like this. Everytime it justifies my ban on ubisoft titles.

3. Redemption80

Redemption80 Guest

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    So has anyone managed to get a refund from g2a yet?

I've never used them myself but i've recently had issues with g2play and a Steam key and recently found out that a work colleague also has, and both are still waiting on refunds or new keys.

That G2A shield sounds like a good idea though, bit of extra cash for the site and abit of peace of mind for the buyer.
    I have heard dodgy stories about them though, stuff like selling Humble Bundle keys etc..

4. ezodagrom

ezodagrom Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1660 Ti 6GB
    If you buy it from an authorized reseller, shouldn't have any problems.
    Places like G2A, G2Play and such are not authorized resellers.

5. vidra

vidra Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX1060 6GB
    Not authorized by whom? Ubisoft? It's not up to them to authorize sales or not. It's a free market. The fact that they overcharge for games is biting them in the @ss now and they're crying blue murder because some less greedy seller undercut their fat profit margins. Well, boo-bloody-hoo! The keys sold by these allegedly unauthorized re-sellers are legal and if Ubi doesn't like that, well that's too bad. They're gonna get sued and so they should.

6. Gaizokubanou

Gaizokubanou Maha Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire HD 7970
    They must get their keys from somewhere, right? If they are not 'authorized' sellers then I presume that means they get their keys from anywhere but from Ubisoft itself or do stuff like Russian key-resale.

Not that Ubisoft is some paragon of virtue that is beyond fault, but sites like G2A must be getting their keys somehow and the options doesn't seem that many.

But again, Ubisoft has been pretty freaking dubious recently and the super delayed ban time with absence of any proof doesn't really help their case either. I see this purely as issue of trust (who do you trust more) and I find both parties involved (Ubisoft and these third party key sellers) to be of dubious reputation at best.

I wouldn't go far as Darren (simply because I know so little about the whole ordeal outside of what I get told, and none of taint that stinks Ubi's image is about actual scam, but more of complete absence of quality control as of late) but I get how he could come to such suspicion. This is opposed to say, the issue with Natural Selection 2 but that's mainly because I just have much more benefit of the doubt towards smaller indie team cause they don't have the bad history of Ubi and by being small, lacks that "big bad coporate" vibe which is more or less just gut feeling and I'm ok admitting that is how my mind works.

7. ezodagrom

ezodagrom Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1660 Ti 6GB
    Authorized by the publisher, of course.
    This is from Steam, but I assume it works the same way with Ubisoft and Uplay.
    https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=7480-WUSF-3601&l=english
    For it to mention "authorized" resellers, that means there are unauthorized ones. If places like G2A and G2Play were authorized resellers, this whole revoking thing wouldn't be happening, right? (It even has happened in the past with other publishers/developers, from what I see)

8. Redemption80

Redemption80 Guest

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970

I don't blame the sites themselves as many of us have been doing this for years without an issue, but i think their suppliers might be to blame.
    Well that is who they blamed anyway.

I logged into my G2Play account and noticed it went back over 5 years with no issues, then in the last few weeks myself and a friend both bought Steam keys that had already been sold and activated, just at the same time this all happened.

9. Gaizokubanou

Gaizokubanou Maha Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire HD 7970
    Yeah, I mean unless these sites actively encourage illegal key acquisition or ignoring the most damning proof in their face (both of which I have no way of knowing so giving them benefit of the doubt that they are trying to act in good faith), the core problem is most certainly the suppliers.

10. MaxBlade

MaxBlade Master Guru

GPU:
    980Ti/970/390/+ more
    You as long as were talking physial copy of the game box dvd blah blah then I would understand. Yet they do the same.. they sell you a key no more no less you download it all.

Were just talking money and its UBI.. Origin.. EA.. these guys dont care about people just money. I just started playing one of there games and I cant play it unless THEY are up and running and its been up and down for over the one week I been playing. So with THEM unlike steam that I do buy and run my games off line anytime I wish.. I will find other ways to play if its Origin only play.. sorry rant.

11. Redemption80

Redemption80 Guest

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    It's about money with everyone though, these cdkey selling sites aren't running a public service it's a business and probably a very profitable one.

If they are selling crap that doesn't work then they need to refund or replace, or just stop selling stuff.

12. somemadcaaant

somemadcaaant Master Guru

GPU:
    Red Devil 6900XT LE
    I don't quite understand the point your making if for or against spending another $180 on top, the demograph for the demand of HD price drops is elsewhere i'd say, i'm a hard working peasant who works hard for his coppers.

At any rate ppl that dont have access to something be it thru lack of circumstance or forced circumstance, like nature will find a way eventually to get around said circumstance, in this case if it's not paying to get cheaper which is a consumers right, then by the many many other avenues that exist.

G2A.com go thru the legit method of bulk vpn purchases I would say as i got an email from them and Kinguin about buying a Russian vpn copy (which isn't valid in my country due to region locking rubbish anyways but separate issue), not copying of physical keys like the dodgy individual merchants are most likely doing.

13. brunopita

brunopita Guest

GPU:
    MSI Gaming R9 270X 2GB
    I'm getting this when it hits 5 dollars on Steam. Anything more than 5 dollars is worse than war-crime.

14. bigfutus

bigfutus Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 3080 VENTUS 10G
    I just buy Ubicrap on massive Steam sales and all is fine. Every retailer that sells RU or versions that need VPN activation is a shifty one for me.

15. Mineria

Mineria Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 3080 Ti
    Eh what?
    You do realize that games sold on G2A are sold by regular people and not the site itself?
    If there are Russian keys, G2A dos NOT tell you to activate them via VPN, they tell you that those keys are region restricted and which country they work/don't work for.
    So the one with shiftiness must be you or those who intend to buy keys outside of their region anyway.

16. Mineria

Mineria Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 3080 Ti
    What are you on about?
    If as example Steam has a sale going on where I can't reach to get one or more of them games while the sale is going on, it is very nice that there are such sites where keys/games from these sales are sold for a tiny bit more.
    As for keys being legit, sites like G2A can only go to a certain point to make sure keys sold by people around the globe are legal, if not they have reputation to refund.
    Heck, there is even a reputation meter at each seller showing how many copies they sold and how many % of them that have no issues (which always should be 100%).
    Having a bad apple in between there for some reason needs to be further investigated by the site since it's not in their neither their customers interest.
    Luckily that most of the games sold there are 100% legit.
    So what is your problem?

Besides that, do you think it is alright that publishers sell their games for more than what you can get the exact same boxed retail version for locally for 20 Euro + less?
    FarCry 4 keys go as example for 37,- Euro at local retailers here, and 42,- Euro for the limited edition (60,- is what Ubisoft takes via their online shop, wtf?!).
    Heck, not to mention what you can buy Xbox 360 games for @ local retailers.
    Those "official" web-shops must be high on something.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2015
  17. Valagard

Valagard Guest

Time to never buy another Ubisoft game ever again.

They just won't learn, they refuse to learn.

Let them go bankrupt and that will be the end of it.

18. Redemption80

Redemption80 Guest

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    The only people likely to go bankrupt are the CD key selling sites who must be losing alot of business over this.

Ubisoft will likely see profits rise as already hearing of people buying a full priced version rather than wait for a replacement key.

19. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    They'd be stupid if they did that, imho...

20. TeX_UK

TeX_UK Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080 FE
    Well all of these particular keys were bought with stolen credit cards so Ubisoft have come out & said. So whoever had a key can probably expect a knock on the door ;) .