970 memory allocation issue revisited

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by alanm, Jan 23, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. stevevnicks

stevevnicks Guest

GPU:
    Don't need one
    I still can not see any case for false advertising .... not one bit of false info to see here pls move on ....

even says on gigabyte's box "graphics cards specs may not be exactly as shown pls confirm with your dealer" so they passed the buck to the dealer ...lol poor fecker lol ... EDIT no I mean they passed the buck on to consumer .. it up to me to ask for spec's of the cards which I didn't (mainly because I didn't need to know as I had already seen the benchies ) well when was the last time you asked if the card has partition ram and how ROPS does it have also could I have that in writing just in case your lien about the spec of the card .. mate the shop owner would laff in your face, and ask if you would like cream on it ...

I know its not like this, but some of the small print makes gigabyte sound like as soon as you got the card its fook all to do with them lol ....

Last edited: Jan 27, 2015
  2. Rhowmwolf

Rhowmwolf Guest

GPU:
    GTX 780 3GB SLI x2
    What's interesting though, at least in ryan's anandtech's article, is the claim that they are given a reviewer's guide by Nvidia, and that's probably something that could be asked to other review sites as well in a theoretical deposition, as can NVIDIA employees, under oath. (Again I'm not saying there's some airtight case against NVIDIA here, or even if there will be a court case. I don't know of your credentials, but I am not a lawyer myself)

Additionally, if the interview is correct, Nvidia implicitly admit providing incorrect information(ROP/L2) when essentially saying that a possible lack of coordination between departments was the cause of that issue.

"The error, as NVIDIA explains it, is that in creating the GTX 970 reviewer’s guide, the technical marketing team was unaware of Maxwell’s aforementioned and new “partial disable” capabilities when they filled out the GTX 970 specification table. "

I also don't know if the interview was recorded for the purposes of transcription, but that is another possibility perhaps.

If one believes that anandtech is lying(I do not), then I see no reason why NVIDIA wouldn't correct them on that almost immediately as it seems to be significant part of the bad-taste some people are getting out of this.

3. ---TK---

---TK--- Guest

GPU:
    2x 980Ti Gaming 1430/7296
    It was advertized in every single review on the WWW as 64 ROPS, as per the nvidia review guide. It has 56, and "questionable vram usage" after 3.5gb. Not sure on the second part, but up until today everything on the net pointed to 64 rops. That is the very definition of false advertising, that said the 970 is as good as when it was released. Think nvidia owes the 970 owners a couple games or some cash back to save face.

4. leszy

leszy Master Guru

GPU:
    GB 7900XT Gaming OC
    After all this mess with testing on Tom's Hardware R9 290x cards, I'm afraid that some of the technology websites also use the NVidia testing guide for testing the AMD cards.

5. Spets

Spets Guest

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    Funny thing is majority of 970 owners more than likely didn't know how many ROPS the card had and before this announcement probably couldn't care less.
    I agree though they should offer a freebie.

6. Spets

Spets Guest

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    All reviewers are given a testing guide for said product by the manufacturer..
    In other words, AMD give their own testing guides for their products too. You can ask HH.

7. ---TK---

---TK--- Guest

GPU:
    If they did`nt put the extra bork on the 970 it would of ended up being faster than our cards. 1664 maxwell shaders would of beat 2880 kepler shaders.

8. HunnoPT

HunnoPT Guest

GPU:
    Tri-X OC 290 CF 4GB+4GB
    GURU3D LAST GAME REVIEWS - DRAGON AGE & CALL OF DUTY AW

DRAGON AGE - ULTRA - 2xMSAA (FULL HD) 1920x1080

GTX 980 55 FPS
    GTX 290X 54 FPS
    GTX 970 50 FPS

DRAGON AGE - ULTRA - 2xMSAA (WQHD) 2560x1440

GTX 980 37 FPS
    R9 290X 37 FPS
    GTX 970 31 FPS

DRAGON AGE - ULTRA - 2xSMAA (ULTRA HD) 3840x2160

GTX 980 20 FPS
    R9 290X 21 FPS
    GTX 970 18 FPS

CALL OF DUTY AW 2xSMAA (WQHD) 260x1440

GTX 980 109 FPS
    R9 290X 94 FPS
    GTX 970 88 FPS

CALL OF DUTY AW 2xSMAA (ULTRA HD) 3840x2160

GTX 980 57 FPS
    R9 290X 54 FPS
    GTX 970 45 FPS

Now please tell me were is the GTX 970 faster then the 290X , if at some point its equal or faster than a GTX 980 at 2k and 4K!!

GTX 970 is a great cold and "green" card but its not even close to the 290X when it comes to performance...bit´s and RAM matters at 2k+ much more then just clocks.
    Learn this and drop the "green" and "red" glasses please .
    Its a fail card for Nvidia. period..move on..its still a good card for the money guys, let it go..

9. ---TK---

---TK--- Guest

GPU:
    I could care less what them amd cards do, this is the nvidia section.

10. HunnoPT

HunnoPT Guest

GPU:
    Tri-X OC 290 CF 4GB+4GB
    Sure thing baby boy, now go cry green tears please..:3eyes:

If you got nothing to say, post comment click was a really big mistake for you at this one homie.
    Stay well

11. ---TK---

---TK--- Guest

GPU:
    Peddle you benches in the amd section.

12. rflair

rflair Don Coleus Staff Member

GPU:
    5700XT
  13. HunnoPT

HunnoPT Guest

GPU:
    Tri-X OC 290 CF 4GB+4GB
    2 Nvidia cards , 1 AMD card , how come this is a AMD section post?!

Seems to me i talk about Nvidia..seems to me that 2 Nvidia cards are stated at the post and compared...seems to be that Nvidia cards were mention on the small text... YUP this is exactly the section were this post needs to be.. Maybe you need to buy some new glasses, but not a green lens one please :)

14. HunnoPT

HunnoPT Guest

GPU:
    Tri-X OC 290 CF 4GB+4GB
  15. Spets

Spets Guest

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    They made something out of nothing, now they're going to start pushing amd products. Saw this coming when the shills were on a posting frenzy.

16. ---TK---

---TK--- Guest

GPU:
    Yeah plus cherry picked bench.

17. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    Obviously NVidia needs someone from each department proof-reading their "reviewer's guide".....which, honestly, should be nothing but an explanation of the architecture used, how the architecture works and the specs for the specific graphics card. Unfortunately, that's not the case and is unlikely to ever become the case.

Now, it's my understanding that a "reviewer's guide" typically contains guidelines for testing a product, which I don't agree with. If this is in fact the case, it's misleading, period.

I'm not a fan of misleading consumers in any way. I am a fan of buying the best product for the money I have to spend though. In my case, nothing changes. I bought my card based on a performance evaluation done by Hilbert Hagedoorn (the owner of Guru3D).

Over the years, dealing with various products from different companies, I've learned that specs in and of themselves can be very misleading so I tend to ignore them for the most part. Honestly, I didn't even know how many shaders the GTX970 had prior to this thread as it wasn't relevant to my decision to buy the card.

Now, do I think NVidia would have come out about this on their own? No. There was no reason for them to so long as people weren't questioning it. Do I think this has been blown well out of proportion? Of course. This could have been handle much better by all involved, but some chose to throw around lies and false accusations across multiple forums because they wanted to do as much damage as possible while waiting for a response. I doubt this is going to have any long-term effect though. People seem to forget everything NVidia does wrong. The FX5600XT with high failure rate, the G84m/G86m high failure rate due to NVidia knowingly/willfully misrepresenting TDP to OEMs....the magical driver that caused fan issues resulting in damaged graphics cards. This incident really isn't as bad as those. At least this particular product is in fact fully functional as designed and isn't going to fail as a result of misrepresented data.

I didn't know prior to all this garbage. I still don't care after all this garbage. As I said, I didn't even know how many shaders the card even had prior to this garbage.

18. scipio

scipio Guest

GPU:
    Evga 1080 gaming
    Just in time for the anticipation of the new amd cards in acouple months

Don't buy 970 new 380 soon!

19. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    Notice he's comparing AMD's "flag ship" to NVidia's second-tier card......

That's probably what they were paid for....

20. JohnLai

JohnLai Guest

GPU:
    ASUS GTX 970 3.5+0.5GB
    Phew, finally finish reading from page 41-53.
    So, my original theory on 208bit is wrong. It is actually 224bit effective width judging from new diagram for 3.5GB which resides on 256bit memory controller. (Note: I am still in process of reading anandtech article).

While I wouldn't say GTX970 is a bad card (power efficiency is impressive and it is my focus), I say Nvidia should have correctly listed the actual specification/limitation in the first place.
    I would have purchase GTX980 instead. Now I am stuck with GTX970. Geez....
    Since this issue became hot, resale value of GTX970 dropped by 8%-15% at my local trading forum. If I am to sell it, I will be making loss. Sigh....

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.