970 memory allocation issue revisited

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by alanm, Jan 23, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    Why do you have an issue with a 3rd party, who has absolutely no stake in the outcome, trying to determine if a problem actually exists?

Seems to be a trend here lately.....

I would venture to guess at this point that you have some connection to the post directed at me in another thread seeing as how that username was created just after my first mention of that site, and your defending it.

2. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    Let me report something I mentioned on page 23:

I've reopened this thread since most of you are calmed down by now I hope.

Fights and arguments will result in instant bans, no warning, no infractions. Just so that I am clear, I'm not joking here.

3. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    omg... a 27 page thread I've missed over the weekend. :3eyes: and it's even closed and reopened and about to be closed again... omg :eyes:

4. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    Looks nice and relatively fluent, but where does it shows actual vram utilization?

You know, I would like to get here some transparency. Not things skewed by too high details or not being in are of test at all.

5. Twiddles

Twiddles Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI 2080 2190-7550
    I really admire all you've done, all the time, energy and dedication you put into this(Thanks to the others as well!). Don't bother proving and explaining anymore, you've proven your point multiple times (Yes I've read all the pages). If they think it's an issue let them sort it out with their retailers etc, don't bite every time they bait you ;) If they're so eager to bait or whatever let them, shoot to kill has been confirmed and this is only derailing and distracting from the issue.

Kind regards,

Moi.

6. Raider0001

Raider0001 Master Guru

GPU:
    RX 7900 XTX Nitro+
    Does MSI Afterburner detect how much video memory there is at the upper limit or its stuck at 3072MB as a default value ?

7. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    You would have to present questions regarding exactly how Afterburner works to Unwinder, as he's the developer and has intimate knowledge of how Afterburner works.

From what we've seen though, it has no issues detecting VRAM usage beyond 3GB which would lead most to believe that it's either not concerned with how much VRAM actually exists or detects the "installed" VRAM quantity.

8. Hilbert Hagedoorn

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    No there is no limit, you simply haven't passed 3072MB usage. Below a GTX 970 btw.

[​IMG]

9. 4KOLED

4KOLED Guest

GPU:
    SLI GTX 970 EVGA FTW
    Someone's GTX 980 also concerned

Not only 970s ?

10. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    wow, thank you Hilbert.

11. Raider0001

Raider0001 Master Guru

GPU:
    RX 7900 XTX Nitro+
    I mean the probably detected "upper limit" not what's actually loaded in to the memory

12. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    [​IMG]

13. Raider0001

Raider0001 Master Guru

GPU:
    RX 7900 XTX Nitro+
    Yes i see - does msi afterburner set it automatically for u ?

14. Anarion

Anarion Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce RTX 3060 Ti
    It's not always possible to fill exactly 4096 MB for obvious reasons, you should know that. The game might want to use more than that 39 MB but because it can't fit that data it just can't completely max it out. I any case we are talking about 39 megabytes here - that's absolutely nothing.

It will use that 3,5GB pool first...

Last edited: Jan 25, 2015
  15. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    I had to change mine to 4GB, not sure if it auto changes once you go past the default

16. da_unique

da_unique Member Guru

GPU:
    GTX770 + GTX670 (SLI)
    Sadly the benchmark seems to only work for 9xx series, getting this on my gtx670:
    http://i.imgur.com/FZLeRlD.jpg
    lol
    So far the accuracy of the bench :X

17. rflair

rflair Don Coleus Staff Member

GPU:
    5700XT
  18. Hilbert Hagedoorn

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    RTSS output will show you the total Vmemory used. You can change the upper limit for the graph plotting in properties btw.

On a generic notice, I've been using and comparing games with both a 970 and 980 today, and quite honestly I can not really reproduce stutters or weird issues other then the normal stuff once you run out of graphics memory.

Once you run out of ~3.5 GB memory or on the ~4GB GTX 980 slowdowns or weird behavior can occur, but that goes with any graphics card that runs out of video memory.

I've seen 4GB graphics usage with COD, 3.6 GB with Shadows of Mordor with wide varying settings, and simply can not reproduce significant enough anomalies. Once you really run out of graphics memory, perhaps flick down the AA mode a tiny bit from 8x to 4x or something.

The 3.5 GB partition on the GTX 970 is a big miss from Nvidia, but mostly for not honestly communicating this. The problem I find to be more of a marketing miss with a lot of aftermath due to not mentioning it.

Would Nvidia have disclosed the information alongside the launch, then you guys would/could have made a more informed decision. For most of you the primary 3.5 GB graphics memory will be more than plenty in 1080P and 1440P.

19. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    You should see it run on a GTX590....lol. According to that "benchmark" the GTX590 has ExoBytes of memory bandwidth.

Thank you for responding to this Hilbert.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2015
  20. iTile

iTile Member

GPU:
    MSI R9 290 4GB OC Gaming
    I called it.. LOL

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.