Windows 7 and 8 users can upgrade for free to Windows 10

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Jan 21, 2015.

1. Killswitch

Killswitch Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire ATI R7 240
    Same here. I always fresh format, never upgrade. For me XP - amazing (at that time) Vista - used for a day, got back tp XP - 7 - wow no more XP, then 8.1 wow- no more 7. Now after using 10 - wow no 8.1 once 10 rolls out.

2. Anarion

Anarion Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce RTX 3060 Ti
    It looks like it's impossible to please some. Some hate the change because things would change even though things would be better. They just don't even try to adapt. Ribbon hate is one of the most ridiculous thing that I've heard. You can hide it if the space is problem.

Right click the damn windows button. :bang:

Last edited: Jan 22, 2015
  3. DiceAir

DiceAir Maha Guru

GPU:
    Galax 980 ti HOF
    Yeah. I think anyone refuse to use windows 8.1 clearly should not use a pc in the first place. I'm using windows 8.1 at home and on at least 2 pc's at work and it's been working better than any windows 7 machine with same specs. Heck a slower machine is better in windows 8.1 than faster one in windows 8.1. Bare in mind the performance of the 2 pc's is not that far off. I feel windows 8.1 is the start of something great and windows 10 will just make it 10x better.

I'm upgrading for dx12 and other enhancements so it's a no brainer for me. i really can't see why people won't upgrade to windows 10. is it because windows 8.1 had the awkward start menu/metro interface. you know what install classic start or similar and boom start menu is back like it should be and BF4 runs 30%+ faster on windows 8.1 than windows 7 so it was already the one reason i upgraded to windows 8.1. Anyhow if you don't want to use windows 10 then so be it. use windows 7 but don't come crying on forums and so on when you don't get 100% support in games while using dx11.

4. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    Better is always a subjective term. There's little gain with features I don't need, like a new ui. If you happen to see your use of the pc being easier than before, that's perfectly fine with me.

I bought win8.1 for my htpc, used the metro ui, and found it to be lacking the access I wanted to have (couldn't put all programs as 'apps' on the screen for instance), while on the same time I had a harder time getting where I needed to go (settings for instance). I did not see much to me besides maybe contemporary looks, so I got the classic shell and went for the desktop again and had everything done in a matter of moments.

My point I'm trying to make, why should I try to like something just because it is new? I and me only, I'd rather have 100% of options with 10 clicks than 80% with 3 clicks, just a matter of personal preferences though.

5. darkdrone48

darkdrone48 Guest

GPU:
    ASUS GTX1070
    meh,first rule of PC's never buy anything that's just released,half the features i wouldn't use and i usually only upgrade for new hardware or because games are moving onto the newer OS,so maybe in a year or so after the verdict comes in,but it's not really on my list at the moment

6. XP-200

XP-200 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI Radeon RX 6400
    Well i bought Windows 8.1 on sale there for £35 in case the whole free upgrade to W10 rumour was true, and now it is, i think i will get mysef another pc case, throw in my old i3 core and 560 gtx with windows7, and get another free copy of windows 10.

Thanks MS. :)

7. DiceAir

DiceAir Maha Guru

GPU:
    Galax 980 ti HOF
    Get yourself classic start then you back to normal

8. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    Yeah, I'll probably do that anyway, I've got classic shell running on my htpc win8.1 too. So having newer design isn't my reason to switch to a newer os.

9. Seketh

Seketh Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 580 8GB
    I can only assume that some people here are too old to learn anything new.

That's the only logical reason to why you wouldn't want Windows 10.

10. TheDeeGee

TheDeeGee Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4070 Ti
    "wouldn't want" is not an option tho.

Unless you don't mind being hacked once an OS goes EOL.

11. WhiteLightning

WhiteLightning Don Illuminati Staff Member

GPU:
    Inno3d RTX4070
    yes everyone is doomed if we dont upgrade. :bang:

12. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    Sometimes I read posts from people I have blocked, and instantly remember why I blocked them in the first place

13. tigermoth

tigermoth Banned

GPU:
    2x r9 290 amd cards
  14. Barry J

Barry J Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX2080 TRIO Super
    Very pleased looks like all my laptops and PC,s will be windows 10

15. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    Microsoft doesn't decide what the lifetime of a device is. You're free to use the device for as long as you want....or as long as it's supported by it's manufacturer (or cell provider for smartphones).

It's not Microsoft's fault if a manufacturer doesn't drivers for old hardware, that are compatible with a new operating system. That's the fault of the hardware "manufacturer".

The way this deal will work. Once you've installed Win10 on a "device", it will always be able to install on that device, so long as that device stays in tact. If you replace a motherboard/processor, it's no longer the same "device" under the terms of the Windows EULA so at that point you'll either have to buy a new copy or "downgrade".

16. TheDo114

TheDo114 Guest

GPU:
    GTX970 4GB
    Will definitely upgrade to windows 10 when it comes out. Looks like a worthy upgrade and eager to test all those new dev tools that will come with the release.

17. Solfaur

Solfaur Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 3080Ti Gaming OC
    Great news, Windows 8.1 is already a great gaming OS, I hope that 10 will improve that even more, besides the other features.

18. Loobyluggs

Loobyluggs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060 12GB
    I'm not I agree with a subscription model for windows.

/ducks

19. leefuji

leefuji Member

GPU:
    GTS 450
    W10 is looking swaahet

I went from W7 directly to W8.1 with no issues at all for both work and gaming environments.

20. Seketh

Seketh Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 580 8GB
    Tell me one good, logical reason not to upgrade.