Windows, SSDs and Defragmentation: the definitive answer

Discussion in 'SSD and HDD storage' started by Watcher, Jan 21, 2015.

1. Watcher

Watcher Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Dual RX6700 XT
    http://www.ghacks.net/2015/01/20/windows-ssds-and-defragmentation-the-definitive-answer/

2. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
  3. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    With such an article I'd like to know how to turn it off even more. I'd like to know that my OS lowers the lifetime of my hardware on purpose, would be nice to make that known.

4. Pvfc-Epic

Pvfc-Epic Maha Guru

GPU:
    ASUS GTX560Ti DirectCU II
    in windows 8.1 click search in the charms bar and type optimize drives

you can turn off auto optimization there but no idea if it completely turns it off or not

5. Killswitch

Killswitch Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire ATI R7 240
    I just did that. Windows "optimised" my SSD 28 days ago :3eyes: No way of completely stopping it.

6. fantaskarsef

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    Shouldn't it supposed to be my own problem if my os gets slow because of a fragmented drive? You just have to come to hate all that stuff technology does these days without asking for the admin's decision.

7. ESlik

ESlik Guest

GPU:
    EVGA x2 1080 Ti SC Black
    Or buy a Samsung and use it's "Magician" software to do everything needed with an SSD.

8. fantaskarsef

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    And still have windows optimise it.

9. zipper

zipper Maha Guru

GPU:
    GTX 680M
    What about replacing Windows defrag with a 3rd party app - does it stop that behaviour?

10. thatguy91

thatguy91 Guest

It depends on how complete the defragmentation is. I believe it is only a 'mild' defragmentation, it optimises files and still leaves them partially fragmented if it is deemed not necessary to defragment it completely. This is different behaviour to older Windows and defrag which just constantly moved stuff around as the layout.ini file changed, as well as needlessly moving the rest of the files based on how often they are used. This it's flawed since it often meant by the time it decides your game needs defragmenting you have finished playing it and moved on to the next, fragmented game.

In other words, yes, it may defragment every 28 days, but the algorithm the defragmentation is based on won't take long to complete, and won't do any harm all things considered.