Techland Announce Dying Light (PS3/360/PC/PS4/XBOXONE)

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by Stone Gargoyle, May 23, 2013.

1. Redemption80

Redemption80 Guest

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    Unless you enable the features they add it makes no difference who sponsors the game.

I don't think AMD have added anything in recent games, is it not just Mantle stuff?

2. Monchis

Monchis Guest

GPU:
    GTX 950
    Not true, they mess with game code directly to inject their stuff. In any case, amd games are usually far better optimized and polished. Seriously considering to support them for my next card.

Last edited: Jan 19, 2015
  3. CPC_RedDawn

CPC_RedDawn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PNY RTX4090
    Not really a good thing.

Nvidia gameworks is a joke with literally every game coming out that supports it has serious performance issues on both Nvidia and AMD cards.

COD Ghosts = a total mess on launch
    FC4 = a total mess on launch
    Watch Dogs = a total mess and still a total mess
    Assassins Creed 4 & Unity = a total mess on launch and Unity is still very buggy

It just seems to me that Nvidia and game devs are trying to pile in too much stuff to games.

Sure PhysX, Hairworks, HBAO+, Advanced shadows and lighting are all nice to have but these games that use gameworks are pushing too much of this stuff and a lot of it really doesn't change a game too much if at all.

To me PhysX is a joke plain and simple, it adds nothing to a game and it looks completely out of place. I see it, I don't think oh that is awesome physics, I see it and think there is PhysX at work taking me out of the game yet again. Maybe its because I am looking for it, or maybe its not being implemented properly but to me it looks totally out of place in every game that it has been released in.

4. Monchis

Monchis Guest

GPU:
    GTX 950
    Oh man, latest cod ghosts (the one with the two suns) was a mess on my card (stuttering, poor performance) couldn´t play it like that. Then cod AW drops gameworks and bam!, it flies rock solid 60fps in my pc and looks next gen in comparison. There is a problem with twimtbp games lately :bang:

5. VultureX

VultureX Banned

GPU:
    MSI GTX970 SLI
    Yea the 'Geforce Experience' is a crappy one :wanker:

6. Monchis

Monchis Guest

GPU:
    GTX 950
    They are doing it wrong.

7. (.)(.)

(.)(.) Banned

GPU:
    GTX 970
    This.

Though I personally stick with Nvidia's card due to driver and multi card support. Id rather pay that little bit extra for raw performance and also the Inspector tool is invaluable to me. If sli or aa etc isnt work at all or properly, then inspector solves the problem 99 percent of the time. After using RadeonPro for sweetfx, that tool is is bloated slow and has issues with Win8.1 (flickering ui), with that said, dont get me started on Geforce Experience.

Gpu vendors need to go back to gpu vending and driver support and leave the silly effects to the developers. There hasnt been one GFX feature from either amd or Nvidia that id take over far smoother framerates and better driver support. Physx is rubbish and looks tacked on, tressFX for TombRaider made lara's hair look worse than what it does in Underworld. Just a bunch of messy pointy polygons wiggling away on top of her head.

8. VultureX

VultureX Banned

GPU:
    MSI GTX970 SLI
    It does? I've been playing all my games non-SLI lately, because there are just too many bugs or glitches. Far cry 4 has finally been sort of fixed, but I already lost interest. The Evil Within doesn't support SLI, Wolfenstein the new order doesn't support SLI, Titanfall after all this time finally got SLI support, but it's glitching like crazy (lights shining through surfaces). Non triple A Games that are still heavy on the gpu almost never take advantage of SLI. There are a lot of those and I find myself disabling SLI more than playing with it :bang:
    I've got a 3D monitor and have been wanting to play in 3D, using SLI for extra performance but there is a bug SPECIFIC to the ROG SWIFT monitor and these cards that breaks SLI, so I can never use SLI when playing in stereoscopic 3D. It's really a mess.

My guess is that this game will be no different at launch, but it should still be good with a single 970GTX. I was glad to see that Alien Isolation had decent SLI support at launch, so it's not all bad, but lately the majority sure is :(

9. Carfax

Carfax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac 4090 Extreme
    You're blaming Gameworks, when you should be blaming the developer. NVidia doesn't make the game, they just add a few PC only effects and thats it.

If you don't like it, you can always disable it. But if it weren't for programs like Gameworks, or even AMD's GamingEvolved, PC games would be near carbon copies of their console counterparts, with just the ability to run higher resolutions and faster frame rates.

None of those games you listed use PhysX. And PhysX 3.x is probably the fastest software physics engine available out there.

If you want to see a great example of PhysX, play Metro Last Light Redux. The PhysX runs perfectly fine on a CPU, and has effects that you won't see in Havok powered titles.

10. (.)(.)

(.)(.) Banned

GPU:
    GTX 970
    • Wolf is an engine limitation
    • Evil Within is an engine limitation even though its DX, the dev team just butchered the Idtech.
    • FC4 and AC are broken games and either will work on your system or wont but will on someone else's system even if its the same as yours.
    • TitanFall is the fault of, cant remember the dev teams name....Respawn! (I could be wrong here)

My recommendation is dont go muilti-gpu if your're more interested in direct ports (FC4 AC, TitanFall, COD etc etc) as they're never going to care enough about the PC platform to be all that concerned with PC features or proper support. The sooner pc gamers get to grips with this and act like the adults they claim to be all in control of "speaking with their wallet", the better.

Most devs care about the PC as much as Nintendo cares what the rest of the industry is doing.

Stop buying games on release day unless there is more people commending the games performance vs not, stop pre-ordering, stop buying dlc for crap games hoping a few more map markers are going to make a crap game magically not crap. Its just a skin, its just another m4 variant, its just another clothing item. Modders have been doing that since before publishers found sticks that wont splinter when beating dead horses.

Real game developers that care about their products dont care how many copies Ubi or Activision and EA sell of their annual games. The real developers arent all of sudden gonna go "No pc version of out game as AC 21 only sold a few 100 copies on PC this year" or "COD PC - sales down by 500,000. No PC version of our game". So not pre-ordering crap products or even not purchasing them at all isnt going to affect other developers that want your money and who are prepared to earn it.

/r to-the ant.

Or not..

Even disabling these effects still have an affect on performance - Remember Batman AC and DX11.

Sometimes thats all thats required and in fact more often than not. Give me a stable product that works over one with tacked on features that look out of place. Gee, i wounder why we have no AA forcing in DX11 games these days, could it be cause Nvidia and AMD want to push their own crap variations of AA as a "feature", when AA use to be a simple switch in the control panel of options menu.

11. Monchis

Monchis Guest

GPU:
    GTX 950
    Even amd gpus have to deal with gameworks injected code, bloated stuff is always slower.

12. Darren Hodgson

Darren Hodgson Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    I really love to disagree with you but I find myself agreeing with everything you've written. PhysX is a disappointment in just about every game I've played (even with SLI it causes stuttering), TXAA is frequently poor in many games (it barely works at all in The Crew and AC Unity and looks rubbish in Far Cry 4 for example) and the other stuff is superfluous at best.

13. Redemption80

Redemption80 Guest

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    It can all be disabled though, and it's always better to have it and not use it than not have the choice.

I think some people just dislike not being able to max a game, so would rather it wasn't there in the first place.

14. (.)(.)

(.)(.) Banned

GPU:
    GTX 970
    None of the games that actually stress a system have any of these features though. Crytek game use TXAA and thats about it i believe. Outside of multigpu issues, they stress a system waaaaay more than any of Nvidia or AMDs features do.

Ubi games, COD and Batman AC were/are all bugged with or without these feature enabled. So its not like these features are stopping people from maxing a game out, its the fact that the games are broken already. If they werent broken and properly optimized, theyd run fine with such features and on a modest system.

Physical copies outside of North America Delayed

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2015-01-19-dying-light-physical-release-delayed
    Paying more for digital...hahaha:bang:

15. Kezen

Kezen Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 4080 X TRIO
    I don't think Gameworks has anything to do with how buggy games can be. I would not blame it for the state above mentioned games launched in.

16. Darren Hodgson

Darren Hodgson Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    I had pre-ordered a physical copy of Dying Light from ShopTo.net here in the UK but only because it was £23.61 and not the £39.99 that the digital download version costs (even with a 20% discount from GreenManGaming that still works out £8 more expensive). I was going to just wait a week but I found the digital version for £24.99 from SimplyCDKeys (SimplyGames) so I cancelled the DVD copy and ordered that instead with a small loyalty discount so it only costs 84p more than the disc version.

Now I have had one of my game keys for Sniper Elite III from SimplyCDKeys removed by Steam but I've never had problems with any of the others so I'm willing to take the risk. I will be refunded if the key is removed anyway and, to be honest, I prefer digital downloads on PC now, simply because the discs are all but useless once installed and have no resell value unlike console games (hence why I still buy physical releases for those where possible).

17. WhiteLightning

WhiteLightning Don Illuminati Staff Member

GPU:
    Inno3d RTX4070
    i really must strap my arms to my chair to not order this before next tuesday.
    :D

Does anyone know if this season pass is just chalkenges and extra weapons ? No added story mode ?

18. Redemption80

Redemption80 Guest

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    That was my point as people were specifically going after the added stuff.
    There are conspiracys that Nvidia gimp the code so the game runs worse no matter whats enabled, im assuming the belief is probably them thinking people will only buy Nvidia and only buy the most expensive.

Saying that Batman AC was perfect if you disabled all the Nvidia stuff though.

19. lorikano

lorikano Master Guru

GPU:
    2x Sapphire 7950@1150
    Nvidia Gameworks ? Crap port confirmed.

20. Kezen

Kezen Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 4080 X TRIO
    How profound.