GTX 970 VRAM allocation bug

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by Milan, Jan 7, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ---TK---

---TK--- Guest

GPU:
    2x 980Ti Gaming 1430/7296
    Has this been confirmed by nvidia?

2. CK the Greek

CK the Greek Maha Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2060S
    Half of posts in this thread are about pagefile and if 8 GB ram are OK for a 4FB gpu...you have ruined this thread. Stick with main reason why this thread opened or continue to take it to the graveyard.

Nvidia has skipped this after the first 4 pages.

3. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    Just for a good laugh, I decided to look at the gameplay videos you linked....

This video, claiming to use a GTX970, is at 1920x1080
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MgRus2W7aN4

This video, claiming to use a GTX980, is at 2263x1273.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cf5faUdRVqk

The higher resolution is obviously going to use more memory.....

4. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    The "evidence" that headd is parading, uses 2 different resolutions as "proof". This was pointed out in another thread, on another forum as well.

It's hard to confirm what doesn't exist.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2015

5. kroove

kroove Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 970 Gaming
    I posted some videos too on pg14.

GTX 980 8GB system ram Shadow of Mordor @ 720p and beyond = 4GB vram usage

youtube.com/watch?v=Y8GNMQxg0gs

Different example...
    GTX 980 8GB system ram Shadow of Mordor @1080p = 4GB vram usage before the loading screen even finishes

youtube.com/watch?v=eOZUJATDt9Q

6. VultureX

VultureX Banned

GPU:
    MSI GTX970 SLI
    So what you're saying is that we should see the same usage as the 980GTX on the 970GTX with higher resolution right?
    Well that's easy to fix, isn't it? Does anyone have a video of the same game running at 1440p or 4K on the 970GTX?

EDIT:
    Here we go 2880x1620 and 4K, not near 4GB at all, stuck at about ~3700MB at 4K:
    http://youtu.be/ZvE0zfF7xEo?t=2m18s

7. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080
    'Headd' didnt get very far with his theory at AT forum either. Soundly debunked and refuted at every turn. Something like this would be a juicy story for tech sites and and would have been investigated thoroughly and reported on very quickly... if it had substance. A few users personal findings do not count for squat. There are a whole host of variables that could affect whatever they believe their findings to be. Most ridiculous of all was the theory that the 970 did not have an actual 256-bit bus :D. Could you imagine the legal troubles and lawsuits Nvidia would face for false specs? Jeezuz FC.

I have had nothing but a flawless experience with my 970 since day one. Not even a hint of a stutter even in FC and even before the 1.6 patch. Yet I've seen people with 980s complain about stutter in this game. This just goes to show once again the huge variables in software, hardware, settings, etc that could affect any gaming experience no matter what GPU they have.

8. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    ^Yeah too late, we've covered that one already. lol

These guys are just complete idiots. I mean if you're gonna do it, do it right.

Don't put Czech Republic on your profile when every single image you post is from a German file hosting site. And at least make sure your IP geo loc matches the country you're from.

This sort of behavior is not a good look, are we amateurs here or are we professionals??

9. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    I got a good laugh from the posts on the AT forum. At this point, aside from the obvious reasons, I'm rather curious exactly what all these people have to gain. I'm aware some are associated with dsogaming and Hardware PAL....neither of which have stellar reputations....but fabricating such non-sense doesn't help either site. In fact, it doesn't help any site making such claim without actual proof that an issue really does exist.

I actually had a discussion with my local graphics card vendor about this thread. Even he found it funny and admitted that he couldn't reproduce the claimed "issues" either.

10. VultureX

VultureX Banned

GPU:
    MSI GTX970 SLI
    Just because your local graphics card vendor can't reproduce these results, doesn't mean they are not real for other people. :3eyes:

We are still waiting for answers. The first 4 pages of this thread say it all. The rest of this thread is merely directed against taking users down and cherry-picking bad results to falsely generalize that everyone is making this up.

11. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080
    I dont doubt some some 970 owners may have legitimate issues. But to attribute it to the lesser memory being read by their software and that that is the definite cause, is what some of us may have trouble swallowing.

12. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    -----

Edited at OPs request.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 18, 2015
  13. Dorlor

Dorlor Guest

GPU:
    2x evga 780 ti sc acx
    Same people as always just arguing for the sake of arguing...

And funny that some members believe that high post Count equals reputable - id rather take tech advice from a guy making his first post, than from tk for instance.

14. rflair

rflair Don Coleus Staff Member

GPU:
    5700XT
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.