How does crossfire work?

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon' started by TyrantofJustice, Jan 17, 2015.

1. TyrantofJustice

TyrantofJustice Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080
    Does it work in all games or just a few ... I have never ran dual cards so forgive the silly questions.

Thanks

2. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    No it doesn't work for everything, the games and drivers need a CF profile, some get CF support immediately, some takes a while to get added, and some never get it

Benchmarks all seem to work fine with it, games, hit and miss

3. TyrantofJustice

GPU:
    RTX 4080
    so for gaming did i make a mistake ordering a second r 290x?

4. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    Depends which games, there is a thread on G3D somewhere that lists non-working for CF games

When it works, it's great, but like I say, it all depends if the support is there for that game

EDIT - here you go
    http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=393783

5. TyrantofJustice

GPU:
    RTX 4080
    my whole purpose for getting it was to run games on highest res on the qnix monitir i will be getting 27 inch ... i figured i would need more than one 290x to run it well.... was i correct?

if not needed i will return cause i also need to purchase a new 1000 watt psu cause i am under powered right now .... if not worth it or not needed i can save 400 usd

here is monitor http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA5JJ2CA1185

the description says i need dual link dvi can u point me on newegg to all i need please.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2015
  6. ---TK---

---TK--- Guest

GPU:
    2x 980Ti Gaming 1430/7296
    Yeah you need a beefier psu. Might be cheap selling your card, keep your psu and get 970s. That will work on your psu.

7. TyrantofJustice

GPU:
    RTX 4080
    No no lol ... i was just asking if a second card is worth it to run my new monitor and for crossfire or not... i can use a better psu anyhow but i just got my 290x 3 weeks ago and just ordered the second but if its not worth it i can return it..... just looking for some good input.

Thanks

8. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    While CFX works fine I would just stick to a single gpu. 290x is a decent card still, I would just stick to a single 290x for now and then get a new offering from either AMD or nvidia, when they're available.

9. TyrantofJustice

GPU:
    RTX 4080
    So eclap ... can i run the monitor i linked to with just the card i have now? if so ill cancel my order get my 280 back save on a psu and get the qnix while i wait for the new cards

10. rogue221979

rogue221979 Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 3090 GTX
    If you like corsair PSUs, get at least a Corsair HX1050 or better if your going to go dual GPU.

In case you didn't know those letters at the end signify what tier that PSU is in. HX and AX are there top grades. The HXi and AXi just means they work with corsair link.

Its goes VS, CX, CS, RM, HXi, and AXi.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2015

11. crisrodrigues

crisrodrigues Guest

GPU:
    3x GTX 980 SLI
    I would stay away from amd if the plan is to use multiple cards. The crossfire support is pretty terrible lately

12. LtMatt81

LtMatt81 Master Guru

GPU:
    4x Fury X
    It works in most games, but not all.

13. Deathchild

Deathchild Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    SLI isn't very good either.

14. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    I'm not eclap, but I guess you should be fine with the 290X at 1440p.

Also, I wouldn't say crossfire or sli have any real advantages above each other, but I may be wrong, my last cfx setup was 5 years ago, so....

15. ---TK---

---TK--- Guest

GPU:
    2x 980Ti Gaming 1430/7296
    It is not?

16. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    I've gone from CFX to single gpu about 3 months ago but last I used it it was just as good as SLI. Unless things changed since then.

17. Rich_Guy

Rich_Guy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 2070S X-Trio
    Badly! :D

Sorry, couldn't resist :(

18. the9quad

the9quad Guest

GPU:
    1080ti MSI Gaming-X
    Running 3 290x's and pushing 1100 watts at the wall under full load. So yeah A beefier power supply would be a good idea. Wish I would have got a bigger one, but it's been trotting along just fine.

As far as crossfire goes. Well it is like this, in games that use it, it's really nice to have. If they don't use it, then just use one card. Don't expect AMD to be timely with crossfire profiles (probably the same issue with Nvidia to be fair, since SLI/CFX is just a marginally supported gimmick to sell cards from both camps imo), since they inexplicably tied them to actual driver releases...why?why?why?

Anyway, if you go into it knowing before hand some games will work with it, and some won't (especially new ones for anywhere from a week to a couple of months), then you will be happy with it. If you think everyt game should work (and lets be honest for what they charge and how they market it..it should), or are really excited to crank stuff up in a brand new game day one, well you will be disappointed. Same thing happens with Nvidia too sometimes.

Some games will not push 60 fps on a single card with everything cranked at 1440p, btw so CFX is nice in those situations.

I went 3 290x's so I could maintain 120 fps in BF4 at all times on my QNIX for example, so in that regard I have been happy. Other games not so much.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2015
  19. TyrantofJustice

GPU:
    RTX 4080
    thanks guys ... i canceled that order for the card shortly after placing it .... bad impulse move.... used the money for the qnix screen i now have and im happy

20. red6joker

red6joker Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 980TI Gaming
    If its a 27" at 1080p you should be fine with one card. Thats my setup and I can play all games on ultra or whatever highest settings are. and my card is just a regular 290.