Google Glass

Discussion in 'The Guru's Pub' started by Pzykotik, Jan 16, 2015.

1. Pzykotik

Pzykotik Guest

GPU:
    ZOTAC RTX 2070 AMP
    I'm VERY excited about this whole Augmented Reality thing.

They're stopping sales of the current version at the moment, and shifting development under the same guy that's managing NEST.

Honest to God I'm on the edge of my seat. I can't wait to finally be able to have virtual vision complimenting my day to day life... Get a text message, it just appears in the air in front of you... Want to search Wikipedia for something, it's just there!!

Awesome! Even in its current state of having a window up in the corner of your vision, and having a limited number of applications when we finally get a production model it's going to change the world.

Has anybody had a chance to play with one, or anything like it!?

2. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    Not me. I refuse to buy something that's already been banned in nearly every place I go.

3. Loobyluggs

Loobyluggs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060 12GB
    Anyone that wears one of these looks like a wally, and is just a target for a thief to snatch it off their face.

It's beyond useless. I got a smartphone, it does everything these overpriced designer sunglasses do AND I got it for free.

/facepalm

I had laser surgery so I don't have to wear glasses - nothing would make me change. Not even if they allowed me to see through undergarments on women.

4. Brasky

Brasky Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 4070 Ti Su
    +1, i completely agree.

5. Yecnot

Yecnot Guest

GPU:
    RTX 3080Ti
    Why the hell is that legal?

The fact that people claim privacy to the light rays that are literally reflecting off of them proves their stupidity. :roll:

Last edited: Jan 16, 2015
  6. Brasky

Brasky Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 4070 Ti Su
    Right to privacy still technically exists here in the US, it's not bad.

7. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    Because they're an invasion of privacy.

It's also, technically, illegal to film someone without their knowledge. At least in my state anyway.

8. Brasky

Brasky Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 4070 Ti Su
    Ditto.

9. Goldie

Goldie Guest

GPU:
    evga 760 4gb sli
    i imagine it must've been the privacy thing that messed up their intended plans for the device.
    the uk papers are calling the device a straight out fail, and they're off again to the drawing board (and prolly some privacy experts).

10. shoja

shoja Guest

GPU:
    2080 GAMING X TRIO
    I used to be a big fan until I saw some people using them in public. The people wearing them are normal, but they way they interact with it is very creepy and weird. It's not one person doing that weird interaction, but bunch of them in different places. It's very hard to explain, but what I will say is you won't be you with that thing in your vision.

11. keasy

keasy Banned

GPU:
    d1cK
    I've honestly never seen anyone wearing the device.

If I did I don;t know how I'd react.
    But I can say one thing, I don't think I'd reckon on them looking half as d*ckish as people that wear bluetooth earpieces. Those guys are prats.

12. scatman839

scatman839 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080, KD55XD800
    Seen one once, guy getting off a bus, it was bright orange, looked silly. No idea why you'd get that colour other than to draw attention to yourself.

13. Veeshush

Veeshush Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 680 Lightning
    Given Google's various other ad-money motivated invasions of privacy, it'd be a cold day in hell before I'd strap one of those on my face.

Separate from that, the tech itself is interesting much like the Occulus Rift. I just hope the open source bunch come out with something better.

14. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    Sometimes....I want to walk up to people using those bluetooth earpieces and just punch them in the face. Most of the time, they're talking to someone and paying absolutely zero attention to what's going on around them. I had one walk into me, then act like I was wrong for being where they decided to walk.

15. Clouseau

Clouseau Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ZOTAC AMP RTX 3070
    some people just have problems walking and chewing gum at the same time. This is why it has to be considered a miracle that we as a species progressed past the stone age.

16. The Laughing Ma

The Laughing Ma Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 4070ti
    Oh yes because big companies are in the habit of not selling big world changing tech. They've stopped selling the product so clearly it isn't the big world changing tech that someone somewhere thought it would be...

...ahhh could it be because everything that this tech does can be done with a smart phone with the added advantage that

a). It doesn't intrude on everyone else around you all the time
    b). It doesn't intrude on everything that you do all the time
    c). You don't look like a right d*ck when you're using a smart phone

Just out of curiosity how did someone who already wears glasses end up using these?

17. J.B.west

J.B.west Guest

GPU:
    nVidia GeForce GTX 660ti
    NSA will know every word you utter and every place you go...

google is garbage and they bend at every will of the govt

18. Labyrinth

Labyrinth Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Tri-X R9 290 4G
    Is this the thing that costs a whooping £1,000? even designer glasses only a fraction of that.

19. keasy

keasy Banned

GPU:
    d1cK

You know, that is really profound and reflective of today's attitudes.

A nice one liner right there.

20. Yecnot

Yecnot Guest

GPU:
    RTX 3080Ti
    I'm honestly curious. How is this device more intrusive than the eyes that we already possess?

If a technology was created that gave us all photographic memory and the means to communicate this memory, would you ban it for the sake of privacy?

Last edited: Jan 18, 2015