GTX 970 VRAM allocation bug

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by Milan, Jan 7, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    Already underway.
    Same persons behind the others are behind this one it appears. I'd type the name however it has been censored. I wonder why.

2. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    I'd like to see some actual proof, from trusted members of this forum. But, since neither the sub-256bit memory bus claim, nor the claim of sub-4GB memory can be proven, I'm not too concerned. If games are using that much memory at 1080P, there's an issue with resource usage that needs to be corrected.

3. doktor

doktor Guest

GPU:
    GIGABYTE GTX970 G1
    The Results of the Memtest:

4. ---TK---

---TK--- Guest

GPU:
    2x 980Ti Gaming 1430/7296
    All this vram allocating is a big yawner to me. Enjoy your cards and have enough systrm ram.

5. Memorian

Memorian Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    Just played Evolve Closed BETA, the game used ~3760MB Vram at 1600P(All Very High plus SMAATX2) and it was really smooth, not a single stutter.

6. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    There's really no point in running MemtestG80 on a GM204 based card. They use different memory types, controllers and compression. MemtestG80 is expecting to see the results that would be returned by a G80 based graphics card, which it won't see from a GM204 based card. Try running MemtestCL, which actually works properly and was designed for such purposes.

7. Vidik

Vidik Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 1070 Gaming Z
    Run Shadow of Mordor and see how much VRAM does YOUR GPU use. And then compare results to GTX980 - in that exact place and frame 970 will allocate 3500MB while 980 would use all 4000MB

Last edited: Jan 17, 2015
  8. Spets

Spets Guest

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    This thread has been all over the place from the start. Some are angry they can't reach 4GB with their VRAM, others angry when they do hit 4GB in ridiculously high resolutions and 8xMSAA they see poor performance, people complaining about no PF creating crashes, etc..

9. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    The only people pushing this abortion of a thread are new members with low post counts. On every other forum with this same thread, you'll see the same pattern.
    New members with low post counts claiming they have problems, old timers and regulars who don't get what they are on about. Hmmmmmm. Hmmmmm.

Google this thread title, read the posts and make your own mind up.

VultureX aka - take your pick - is involved, he is either name is Nik.olas Nik.olau, the the guy from obscure site Hardware PAL or associated with it and who was banned from Guru3D.

He/ they have been instigating the vram threads here, likely using TOR.

I'm not the only one aware of this btw. You guys are all been trolled.

10. Goldie

Goldie Guest

GPU:
    evga 760 4gb sli
    being trolled by amd.

11. ---TK---

---TK--- Guest

GPU:
    I tried reading the whole thread but gave up on like page 1.

12. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    Nice try.

13. ---TK---

---TK--- Guest

GPU:
    Aint goldie sli756? You change your name?

14. Headd

Headd Active Member

GPU:
    GTX970
    evolve new PC game.GTX980 uses all Vram in 1920x1080
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fj7IQq8R4PY

GTX970 same settings all time bellow 3600MB in 1920x1080
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DKUTbOgIf80

Thats just wierd.I really dont understand why nobody already test this issue.Some pc websites like techreport or even guru3d must have both GTX970 and 980 so its really that hard test both cards in some games and watch memory usage?
    Nobody even write about that.Do all websites are silent because Nvidia told them do not write about it or what?

15. Goldie

Goldie Guest

GPU:
    evga 760 4gb sli
    big hitters are out now folks, be careful out there.

16. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    Either way I'm going to ask for a ban. This has gone far enough.

17. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    I don't own Shadow of Mordor, nor do I really care that someone else's card doesn't fill it's entire vram capacity in a game. It's actually better for performance that the vram isn't completely filled. Hell, if I really wanted to test vram capacity, I'd just write my own app to do so. It's really not that hard to do.

You're right. It has gone far enough. All the data is available to explain exactly why the GTX970 and GTX980 might not have the exact same memory usage in a given game. The drivers are only going to transfer the data as needed by the GPU.

18. VultureX

VultureX Banned

GPU:
    MSI GTX970 SLI
    Why don't you get out of the thread that doesn't concern you at all and stop clouding the results.
    The last few pages is you acting like a big shot and talking random allogation again.

You're the one derailing it. Not the posters that witness the vRAM allocation anomaly.

19. Memorian

Memorian Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    Yeah, it used 3760MB at 1600P/SMAATX2 on my system, but it was butter smooth.So, who cares ?

20. tarasis

tarasis Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte Gaming GTX 970
    Well I have a new account because I've only just built a computer for the first time in 10 years. Your welcome to find me on Twitter, Facebook, Flickr, and many other services under the same ID. (Though not all Tarasis's are me)

I've no stake beyond I'm a recent owner of a GTX 970, I'm certainly a little concerned by the framerate drop off when running the 3GB version of the Kombuster test. Plus reading the comments about stuttering and people needing to underclock their cards (on the GeForce forum) and then seeing about this (potential) issue where these cards use ~3.5-6GB and more than that starts to impact frame rate is concerning.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.