GTA V for PC eats away 65GB of storage space

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Jan 14, 2015.

1. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    I'm trying to imagine somebody carrying his rig like a backpack with two straps :D Hilarious

2. SoloCreep

SoloCreep Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2080 TI
    If this were being released by Ubisoft we would all would be trying to play a steaming pile of dung right now. I have no problem waiting longer for a working game. As for the size of the game. I installed 2 new SSD's last week so bring it on =)

Last edited: Jan 14, 2015
  3. cps1974

cps1974 Guest

GPU:
    Inno3d GTX770 4GB
    65GB via DVD-ROM? just bizarre

it's been so many years since I last purchased a game on any disc format.

A previous post suggested the downloadable version would have some compression, will the DVD version also have some compression?

assuming they are not shipping on double sided, dual layered discs (DVD-18) I suppose they will come on DVD-9, DVD-10 or DVD-14 (capacities range from 7.95 to 12.33 GB) - so how many discs will this require?

time for folk to get better ISP / lines, or pester the government to come good on their promises of rolling out super speed broadband to folk who aint got it yet!

I get a good constant 150Mbps any time of day when downloading from steam so I'm good

bizarre

4. Shadowdane

Shadowdane Maha Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia RTX 4080 FE
    I wonder if they will ship it on Blu-ray for PC??

Granted I'd imagine the 65GB is the full uncompressed size... I'd hope it would be delivered on disk or digitally compressed to some extent?

5. Prince Valiant

Prince Valiant Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080 ti
    I thought Sony lost exclusivity on BD a while ago?

6. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asrock 7700XT
    Assuming 75% of all that storage is just media (primarily radio stations and cutscenes) I wouldn't mind the old 90's approach of a "minimal" install, where you're required to have the disc inserted to load some of the game. You don't need anything high-performance to read media stuff. I doubt they'll make any changes to audio at this point so I don't see why they couldn't do this, just as an option.

But really, until there's a way to reduce this asinine install size, I won't consider getting this. I have enough disk space, but the game isn't released yet and it's already showing sloppiness of a PC port. But seriously, people have PCs powerful enough to handle compressed media and compressed textures - USE THEM.

7. Cyberdyne

Cyberdyne Guest

GPU:
    2080 Ti FTW3 Ultra
    That's crazy. They need to start offering options for downloading games, you select your language for example and it only downloads the voices and cut scenes for your language.
    Game ripping scenes have been doing this for years and years, usually very successfully.

8. Santa666

Santa666 Active Member

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX1080TI
  9. DoingNumber2

DoingNumber2 Guest

GPU:
    2 x 760 Gigabyte OC
    Just delete or move CoD and BF4, who even play those games :puke2:

10. dsbig

dsbig Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 4070
    hopefully the download servers will have good speed.

my 200mb connection is ready.

11. Shadowdane

Shadowdane Maha Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia RTX 4080 FE
  12. Gen Techa

Gen Techa Guest

GPU:
    Geforce 1080TI SLI
    Valid

How valid or old is this information. 65gb is a lot, but what I noticed is the minimum requirement for Graphics Cards. Considering they don't make drivers for the 9800 GT anymore, I'm wondering how that made the list?

13. Prince Valiant

Prince Valiant Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080 ti
    I presume it can be decreased by including the branding, I know that's how HDMI works. It would be nice to see new PC games available on BD considering that the major publishers are releasing them on BDs for the console versions.

14. thatguy91

thatguy91 Guest

Surely it couldn't be because of uncompressed audio. I guess we'll see by the installation media if its like Titanfail. Wasn't Titanfail a respectful size for the installation messages because the audio was compressed on the install media? The sound quality argument was complete bull.

If licencing is an issue, why not just use Ogg? Games in the past have used it, and it gives slightly better than MP3 quality (although in 2015 it really should be AAC, which in itself is quite old).

15. Rich_Guy

Rich_Guy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 2070S X-Trio
    The games only 5GB, the DRMs 60 :D

16. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asrock 7700XT
    That's what I was thinking. I guess they just want to appease the audiophiles.

Also, doesn't matter how old an audio format is as long as it is technically up-to-par. Audio evolution has pretty much reached it's limits. The only thing we can do now is improve sound processing for environmental effects and multi-channel setups.

17. elkosith

elkosith Maha Guru

GPU:
    PowerColor RX 6600
    I think I still have my old 80 GB HDD somewhere. I could dedicate that one specially for this game

18. CronoGraal

CronoGraal Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 6900XT Merc 319
    It's 2015, applications get bigger and we have plenty of disk space solutions. Bring it.

19. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asrock 7700XT
    If you install games to hard drives, then sure, whatever - not really a big deal. If you have an SSD though, well, that's a bitter pill to swallow. For me personally, I install my OSes and applications to SSDs and I put my games on a hard drive RAID 0 setup, because I don't want to spend $60 to buy a game and then another $40 worth of disk space.

20. CPC_RedDawn

CPC_RedDawn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PNY RTX4090
    That was a good excuse if you ask me.

The games download was only 19GB in size but it decompressed the audio files once download completed. This freed up CPU time during gameplay as it didn't have to decompress the audio on the fly. Leaving the devs to use another CPU thread/whole core.

What isn't to like about this method?

It saves on CPU resources,

It saves on download times,

It saves on people having download caps,

It saves on people with slow internet.

What isn't to like?