AMD Catalyst 14.12 Omega WHQL (14.501.1003.0 November 20)

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by shadow_craft, Dec 9, 2014.

1. MSIOCGenie

MSIOCGenie Guest

GPU:
    2x 280X
    I want to use SMAA, and as a result, I would need a proper Crossfire profile.

2. MSIOCGenie

MSIOCGenie Guest

GPU:
    2x 280X
    From what I've heard it'll come later, just like Nvidia did.

All Ultra, 4x AA, fullscreen and 1080. So I did what MacT said and fired up the game, which I hadn't played for about two months. Using DX I mostly get above 60, but just barely and on a pretty light map with 32 players, GPU usage is really low.

So then I switched to Mantle, and my FPS flew through the roof, like steadily above 90. There were some very rare dips, but they exist with DX too. So it seems like this has been fixed to some extent, although I could not test for a longer period of time, I know that memory usage used to increase over time, so it could potentially start to stutter after a while.

However, it's at like 2999MB usage, so it's really pushing the limit. Which is kind of a bummer since I have quite a lot of GPU power left to spend, which would have been nice to use for the built-in oversampling, but I can't since Mantle uses memory like nothing else. Maybe I'm asking too much since it's only natural that games require more and more memory.

Obviously this is something both you and Nvidia are working on for the next gen cards, with new types of stacked memory and compression for even greater memory bandwidth.

Anyway, it would be awesome if you kept working on improving Mantle performance for Frostbite, especially with crossfire.

Regarding Far Cry 4, they did fix that issue, but I don't believe they released a statement about it, nor did they up the version of the game. The build ID is different though. I suppose 1.7 is around the corner though.

3. LtMatt81

LtMatt81 Master Guru

GPU:
    4x Fury X
    I had a feeling you were using those settings. To be perfectly honest with you, using Mantle in Battlefield 4 at Ultra preset 1080P your gpus don't have quite enough video memory to use those settings. I would recommend using 0XAA or maybe x2AA. Experiment and find out what works for you and your setup. Lowering texture quality to high should help, as will shutting down the web browser as the map loads. The latter will save you 100-200mb.

We continue to work with our partners at Dice to bring the video memory usage down under the Mantle Frostbite implementation.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2015
  4. the9quad

the9quad Guest

GPU:
    1080ti MSI Gaming-X
    Any news on AMD unlocking the pixel clock for us yet? is this something they are even looking at fixing for us?

5. gx-x

gx-x Ancient Guru

GPU:
    1070Ti Phoenix
    which pixel clock are you referring to? Display?

6. David Ryder

David Ryder Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 980 ti SC ACX2
    Any news on a 15.1 relase or beta drivers?

7. jaju123

jaju123 Guest

GPU:
    2x AMD R9 290 Crossfire
    Yeah... been so long without my driver fix :'(

8. the9quad

the9quad Guest

GPU:
    1080ti MSI Gaming-X
    The one AMD users have to patch in order to run korean monitors overclocked. Nvidia had the good sense to get rid of the limit, but we still have to patch it every driver release, which breaks HDCP. It's a pain, easily fixable and supposedly for like almost 2 years now, the "Driver team is aware of the issue"..... but you know how that goes. If AMD can't some how spin something into a marketing plus for them, they refuse to do it. So instead of a fix we will get them wasting time on +2 more fps in 3dmark!

9. gx-x

gx-x Ancient Guru

GPU:
    1070Ti Phoenix
    if they unlock that they mught as well give up on their new virtual resolution gimmick and just give us "Custom Resolution" option back. I am with you, I just don't think AMD will do it. :/

10. Espionage724

Espionage724 Guest

If you have to manually patch it and break HDCP... did NVIDIA really lift the limit then? Or are you just using some 3rd-party method to lift it?

Also, what's wrong with this exactly?

11. the9quad

the9quad Guest

GPU:
    1080ti MSI Gaming-X
    . Because using that patch breaks HDCP. So if you want to use Blu-ray software or other protected content you can't.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2015
  12. Nick0602

Nick0602 Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire Vapor-X R9 290
    Indeed, although there are some workarounds on the internet, most of the video players just don't work. Everytime I want to watch something on Sky Go I have to switch to the unpatched drivers otherwise I get an error due to HDCP broken.

So yeah, it would be great if they could unlock the pixel clock sooner or later.

13. Espionage724

Espionage724 Guest

So it isn't different than NVIDIA's situation then?

14. Goldie

Goldie Guest

GPU:
    evga 760 4gb sli
    now i know why i can't watch my dvd, happened right after usung the patcher and didn't put two and two together.
    was getting 'copy-protect fail' error with mpc.

15. The Mac

The Mac Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire R9-290 Vapor-X
    why doesnt someone patch the drivers then have Leshcat Labs re-sign them?

16. DiceAir

DiceAir Maha Guru

GPU:
    Galax 980 ti HOF
    Agree. I run qnix qx2710 @ 96hz and would also like it if they can make it so that we don't need to have 2 bridges installed to enable monitor overclocking.

17. aufkrawall2

aufkrawall2 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    7800 XT Hellhound
    AMDMatt, would it be possible to add in option into the CCC to limit the amount of prerendered frames, e.g. to 1?
    This feature probably already exists in the driver, it just needs to be made accessible to the user with a GUI option, I suppose.
    Nvidia got such a feature and they recently extended this to virtual reality apps.

18. the9quad

the9quad Guest

GPU:
    1080ti MSI Gaming-X
    You think you could ask them?

19. nirad9er

nirad9er New Member

GPU:
    980Ti SLI
    Has anyone had issues with the second card in crossfire getting stuck in 3D clocks on boot? Happens every time with my 290x and I have to either reboot or launch a game. Had some issue with 14.11.2. I've disabled ULPS but still have the issue.

20. The Mac

The Mac Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire R9-290 Vapor-X
    I dont know anyone over there.

Asder00 does though...