Which 970 should I get?

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by Darkprime, Jan 13, 2015.

1. Darkprime

Darkprime Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 660
    So I want to get a 970 that will run on my Antec VP500P psu.The MSI,EVGA or GALAXY versions will all run on a 500w psu however the GIGABYTE version for what ever reason requires 550w so I guess that one is out of the question. would like to hear some thoughts on the those particular brands of 970.

2. Goldie

Goldie Guest

GPU:
    evga 760 4gb sli
    see which one has the new zero-fan tech.
    your fans won't spin until 65C or some such.
    pretty impressive.

3. khanmein

khanmein Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1070 SC
    take the new zotac version they released on 2015. 5 yrs warranty i personally think better than msi or gigabytes.

4. CPC_RedDawn

CPC_RedDawn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PNY RTX4090
    MSI GTX970 GAMING 4G has this feature. Fans stay at 0% until temps reach 65C.

Its a good feature for a single card and a for a silent PC, but in all honesty even at 100% fan load these MSI cards are barely audible and if your using headphones like my self they are completely silent no matter what.

Best thing to do is to load up a program that can control fan speeds like msi afterburner and just load up the default fan profile which pegs GPU at 40% at 30C and under and boosts to 60% when GPU reaches 55C or something like that. The noise is totally quite but temps will be lower at idle as fan is actually spinning and temps at load will be lower too allowing for better clocks in GPU Boost 2.0 and also better custom overclocks too.

Its is very much needed with SLI 970's like I have as the top card even though I have 3x 120mm in take fans at 12v in the front of my case (which is right next to the gpu's and I have the fan profile on pretty aggressively the top GPU always run around 10-12C hotter than the bottom card and they have a whole PCIE slot of space between them as well.

I dont want to remove heatsink and replace the paste as it will void warranty on the card as there is sticker over one of the screws. Temps are still fine though top GPU never exceeds 66C after 4 hours of BF4 at max 1080p 4xmsaa and 130% res scale so GPU's are being used 99% both all the time during play.

5. kpo6969

kpo6969 Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1070 Gaming
    I would worry about your psu before considering 970's.
    How old is it ?

Last edited: Jan 13, 2015
  6. I've just ordered two EVGA GTX 970 FTW's. One of the highest out of the box factory overclocked 970s (1367 boost clock) money can buy and yet one of the more affordable models too. It also has the zero fan until 65C feature too. Most reviews see this card boosting over 1400mhz when thermals allow too and in terms of manual overclocking it seems pretty standard to get up to 1550-1590Mhz - obviously this is not guaranteed though.

In terms of pricing I live in NZ so not sure what prices will be like where you live.

Good luck with whichever you decide for, even the reference 970's are beasts for the coin.

7. topcat77

topcat77 Master Guru

GPU:
    msi gaming 6900xt
    I'm a EVGA FTW owner and can say don't expect much from them. Its been said ( at the EVGA forums) there faulty cards. In fact EVGA are planning to release a FTW plus card to replace the first card. The new FTW plus has more power. I got my FTW card overclocked pretty good but it was a struggle as these cards are very temperamental at OCing due to the power. Also the fans were a bit strange as once the temp hits 60c the fans pretty muck run at high speed. You will most likely need to set up a custom fan profile with MSI AB.

8. Oh mate that's not the kind of news I want to hear ;), my FTW's have just arrived this morning too lol...So due to these cards only running dual 6pins rather than 1 8pin + 6pin they don't seem to clock high?

Thanks for the info anyway man and i'll see how my two go once I install them tonight - if I have any trouble i'll return them. Thanks again.