Official Intel Haswell (K) Overclocking thread

Discussion in 'Processors and motherboards Intel' started by -Tj-, Jun 7, 2013.

1. SpecChum

SpecChum Master Guru

GPU:
    7900xtx - Neo G9
    Tinylake is off, yes.

Works well on performance actually, I get the power saving without having to ramp up the frequency.

2. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black
    Well turn it on if you want proper C-state control via Rapid storage technology (while also enabled in perf. tab). And no you still get CpuVID at max voltage all the time so its not really 100% efficient, only cpuv drops there, cpuVID in bios is not the same as internal cpuv.

3. IcE

IcE Don Snow

GPU:
    3070Ti FE
    Bumping this thread back from almost the grave. Can someone explain to me how turbo mode works? Is "adaptive" voltage mode required for turbo to function properly and not crash? I know that most motherboards have a "multicore enhancement" that turbos on all cores, which I have disabled, but I'm still seeing vcore hit 1.254 in general usage which seems obscene. If I set the voltage mode to "override" yet leave the actual voltage on automatic, what will happen?

4. StrikeQ

StrikeQ Guest

GPU:
    1080 Waterforce 2139/5500
    Well I finally upgraded from my Sandybridge since my mobo was dying. Got the i7 4790k and currently running it at 5GHz w/ 1.3v

Haven't spent much time with it, so might be able to drop the v some, or even go higher. Just know that 1.25 didn't work. But been up all night putting it together/installing stuff.

5. SpecChum

SpecChum Master Guru

GPU:
    7900xtx - Neo G9
    5Ghz is great! Well done.

I can boot at 5Ghz @1.3v and do general stuff, but it BSODs on prime95 etc

I've got the cooling power to give it more volts but I don't see the point for what, lets be honest, is minimal gain from 4.6Ghz for a 0.76v increase.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2015
  6. Fender178

Fender178 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070 | GTX 1060
    Nice OC. Did you get one of them Silicon Lottery chips?

That is how mine was @ 4.7ghz @ 1.265V it booted and I was able to to that h.265 encoder benchmark thing and I thought It was stable but when I started to use a dvd or a blu-Ray Ripping program my rig blue screened which probably meant that I needed a tad more like 1.275 or so.

7. StrikeQ

StrikeQ Guest

GPU:
    I haven't done lengthy stress test yet to see how stable exactly. I use a Corsair H100i (Kind of wishing I took more time, it does get loud but my old comp started crashing like every 5 seconds under load) and the temps at 5ghz/1.3 get high during stress tests, like ~95° during AIDA64. Did a 30m game session too, but finally went to bed at 6am.

Running Prime95 again atm and temps get to ~85° or so

Nope, just straight from Newegg

8. Fender178

Fender178 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070 | GTX 1060
    Wow then you got a golden chip as the Overclockers say.

9. StrikeQ

StrikeQ Guest

GPU:
    Must be, the more I look into what others get. I probably could push it higher. Not sure if I want to try, took 5m to get 5GHz stable with messing very little with voltages. And using XMP on the Trident 2400 RAM.

Edit: Had to turn off some USB suspend things so Corsair link was working right, now the sound isn't too bad. See if still cools.

10. dove

dove Master Guru

GPU:
    Powercolor 6950 2GB
    I've had to install Win8.1 in a VHD for now, as I don't have sufficient space on my SSD to make a spare partition for it (the VHD is hosted on my SSD's secondary games partition so I can move it if needed). I needed to do a fresh install as my existing one is a bit cluttered and has some issues but I can't wipe that at the moment, as I have some work that needs doing at short notice but once I've migrated what I need to, I'll copy the VHD install over to the primary partition.

Anyway, the issue I'm having is that I've experienced a couple of crashes with this VHD install. One was a BSOD and I can't recall exactly what I was doing but I wasn't gaming, think I was just running the mouse config editor or something mild like that. Unfortunately I didn't have a pagefile enabled at the time so no memory dump for that.

The second crash was whilst playing Assassin's Creed Unity and didn't BSOD but just got stuck on the "program has crashed" popup and my mouse cursor was nowhere to be seen and I couldn't even use the keyboard to OK and close it. Even Ctrl-Alt-Del and opening the taskmanager didn't help as it instantly went into the background behind the crash popup and Alt-tab didn't let me change that. I fixed it in the end by Ctrl-Alt-Del and Sign Out and then logging in again.

As I never had these problems with my old cluttered install, which as far as I know has the same drivers installed (certainly the latest AMD Omega driver), I was wondering if running from a VHD makes the system less robust and thus more likely to crash if the overclock is at the edge? I did stress test the OC when I first set it up and it seemed fine (I had to use 1.26v to be stable at 4.4Ghz but temps are well under control with a good tower heatsink) but that wasn't running from VHD, hence why I wonder if that could be a factor?

EDIT: I bumped it up to 1.265v and it seems to be stable again now :)

Last edited: Feb 1, 2015

11. dcx_badass

dcx_badass Guest

GPU:
    Palit GTX 1060 6GB
  12. beppe_7

beppe_7 Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 980
    has anyone thought about attempting to solder there own IHS to CPU?

13. fisher6

fisher6 Active Member

GPU:
    MSI GTX 970 GTX 4GB
    Got my 4790k stable at 4.8 with 1.295 and temps are in the mid 70s with 83C being the highest while stress testing. All this with a Noctua U12S. I'm thinking of getting the D15 tomorrow. What do you guys think, or should I go with an AIO solution?

14. kakarot

kakarot Maha Guru

GPU:
    pny rtx 4090
    Silly question but wth does pci latency timer do on a board with no pci slots? Do some onboard devices run on a pci bus?

15. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    Heh.....probably nothing. The bios template will be shared between several boards, some with legacy devices. Asus likely forgot to remove the option in yours.

Sabertooth bios will let u change the serial port IRQ.......if it had one. :D

Last edited: Mar 21, 2015

16. kakarot

kakarot Maha Guru

GPU:
    pny rtx 4090
    Thanks, probably right on that which is pretty sad

17. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black
    Just heads up, don't fiddle with mobo bios IMEI firmware @ Z87 chipset, I learned it now the hard way..

I used Asus 5th gen firmware update and it updated fine etc, 9.1.xx.xxxx but now problems started, it glitched my bclk to 100.94mhz (some had 99.94mhz) which also made my OC 50mhz higher, windows reads it as 101mhz, nothing helped..

Only asus flashback2 somehow downgraded it again, and now its back to 100mhz, lesson learned for good.. Took me 4hrs now, almost freaked out to the max..:3eyes:

lol my clueless trip post here :D
    http://www.win-raid.com/t596f39-Int...rs-Firmware-amp-System-Tools-76.html#msg15690

18. jura11

jura11 Guest

GPU:
    RTX 3090 NvLink
    Probably bit of thread resurrection,I've got as temporary PC with i7-4790k and Asus Maxiumus VII Gene

I've done quick dirty OC and seems everything is fine,in AsusBench I can easy run 1.228v and no BSOD,tried several other benches like AIDA,OCCT etc,no BSOD,but when I do render in 3DS MAX I'm getting BSOD,due this I raised vCore at 1,259 with which I can render without the BSOD

Here are my settings

[​IMG]

Validation link

[​IMG]

http://valid.x86.fr/xukjep

Temps are in 30's on idle,in 60's when I render etc,in benches like OCCT,RealBench,Prime and many others temps are in 70's

Cooling I'm using H100i V2 with BeQuiet Pure Wings 2 fans and those fans I'm running at 750RPM

On other hand,feels bit slower than my X5670 which has run 4.2GHz,maybe is placebo,but doesn't feels as I thought so will be,in rendering is bit slower too

As I said this is my temporary PC and I will be switching to X99 with Xeon E5 V3 or V4

Thanks,Jura

19. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black
    You can use lower input voltage (SVID aka VCCIN), 1.79V is enough instead of 1.85V. Also it will lower temperature further. 1.80v+ e.g. 1.85V is mostly for higher cpuV 1.35V+

Also if it feels a bit sluggish maybe its your cache frequency/voltage a bit "unstable" or not ideal, are you using auto voltage or did you manually input 1.20v? If you set manual adaptive try 1.21 or 1.22V. Otherwise x42 @ 1.15 -1.16v is enough and "ideal".

And in bios DIGI+ tab, did you change e.g. cpu power current limit from default auto or manually changed to e.g. 120% - 130%?

Last edited: Apr 4, 2016
  20. jura11

jura11 Guest

GPU:
    RTX 3090 NvLink
    Hi TJ

OK I will try to lower VCCIN when I finish rendering,right now I'm rendering and temps are in 64 on hottest core,but times are slower(around 9 minutes slower against the X5670)

I'm using auto voltages on cache frequency,I didn't played with the cache voltages,OK I will test this too and post results and post my findings

My DIGI+ CPU power current limit is set at 140%,not sure if this is high or low,but I changed that from 110%

Thanks again,Jura