New BIOS out for GTX 970

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by MichaelT, Dec 26, 2014.

1. brutlern

brutlern Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 1070 X Gaming
    Thanks, EDKiefer. But I'd rather not risk turning my card into a very expensive brick to eliminate such a minor issue.

2. Agent-A01

Agent-A01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 FE H20
    As long as the hardware is the same, there will be no issues.

Of course up to user to find that out

3. OrdinaryOregano

OrdinaryOregano Guest

GPU:
    MSI 1080 Gaming X
    MSI's LiveUpdate shows no BIOS update for me, do I need to manually do it or should I assume it's already updated?

Got the GPU today itself.

EDIT: It's the latest, phew.

Last edited: Jan 5, 2015
  4. UZ7

UZ7 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    nVidia RTX 4080 FE
    Usually the later batches of the cards will have the latest BIOS installed.

Here is the NV316MH.185 (Previous 125, 182, 184) for the GTX 970 Gaming 09S / 03S / 010 S/N, no release notes, should come up on updater later on. No word if Golden edition will have one as well. BIOS version seems the same but the checksum shows up differently.

You can download it here:
    http://forums.guru3d.com/showpost.php?p=4988312&postcount=1722

Or from their official forums:
    https://forum-en.msi.com/index.php?topic=252150.msg1449187#msg1449187

5. skacikpl

skacikpl Maha Guru

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX 4090
    What about
    V316-050B

MSI Live Update reports that my VGA BIOS is NV316MH.184, but my S/N seems different than others i've seen.

6. UZ7

UZ7 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    nVidia RTX 4080 FE
    You seem to have a later card (newer batch) so it came with .184 the latest BIOS at the time, not entirely sure what they changed or if they changed anything on .185, you could update to it if you'd like but certainly not needed/required. If you do decide to make sure you back up your old BIOS via GPU-Z.

7. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    If you have the money to risk bricking a card, go for it. For those of us on a budget, it's not really a wise idea to use a bios from a different vendor.

If all works out, I should have my 970 on Wednesday.

8. ---TK---

---TK--- Guest

GPU:
    2x 980Ti Gaming 1430/7296
    There is very little risk if you have a spare card or use the igp in case something goes wrong, if you do not have a back up I do not recommend flashing gpu bios.

9. Deasnutz

Deasnutz Guest

GPU:
    Titan X 12GB
    Is it a reference card? If so, then very little risk at all.

10. EdKiefer

EdKiefer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS TUF 3060ti
    The EVGA acx is a reference design If I am not mistaken but MSI gaming is not reference so don't do it .

11. Astug

Astug Member Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4070 Ti
    Could someone be so kind to point me to a guide or sth similar on how to flash on a Maxwell card? I've done it before on my GTX680 but this was a long time ago.

I installed the MSI Live Update but the latest update showed 182, when 184 and now 185 are available.

12. UZ7

UZ7 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    nVidia RTX 4080 FE
    You can either use this and run 185.bat, taken from: https://forum-en.msi.com/index.php?topic=252080.0

http://s000.tinyupload.com/index.php?file_id=00115977708184555128

OR

You can download 185 yourself and use NVFLash from:

http://www.overclock.net/t/1521334/official-nvflash-with-certificate-checks-bypassed-for-gtx-970-980

Which all you have to do is go to your Device Manager, under Display Adapters disable NVIDIA Geforce GTX 970, drag the .rom to the nvflash.exe and then follow the directions, after it successfully flashes then you reboot, go back to your device manager and reenable, thats how I do it myself and flashed plenty of bios just fine :).

You can also follow this guy's guide if you'd like more visual:
    http://www.overclock.net/t/1523391/easy-nvflash-guide-with-pictures-for-gtx-970-980

13. Memorian

Memorian Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    185 ? Already ? Damn, they're fast..

14. Ital

Ital Master Guru

GPU:
    ZOTAC GTX 1080 AMP
    Why so many VBIOS updates for the MSI card? Is there something seriously wrong with its design?

Also the MSI card has a fan defect which cannot be fixed with a VBIOS update and MSI refuses to disclose what the defect is as mentioned in https://forum-en.msi.com/index.php?topic=184604.50

I almost bought the MSI GTX 970 Gaming 4G, but I'm glad that I went for a Palit GTX 970 JetStream instead.

Last edited: Jan 7, 2015
  15. UZ7

UZ7 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    nVidia RTX 4080 FE
    MSI actually has a lot of variants so there will be many BIOS for different cards but for the most part the fan issue was fixed with the .182 BIOS if not then there is probably something wrong with their fan themselves as I've not encountered any problem, .184 came out and shortly .185 came out these are for the Gaming Edition mostly as there are Golden Edition versions as well.

Previous fixes were like UEFI and windows 8 and stuff but other than that they don't really disclose much information (if any). If there is no problem with the card, you don't really need to update the BIOS unless for the sake of getting the latest and/or if you're into a lot of BIOS modifying/editing.

The thread is a little dated so all those could have already been resolved, and many stuff such as new Drivers, new BIOS, new Afterburner have been released so hopefully there isn't any other problems after all that. I haven't seen any myself but on the other hand I modded my BIOS to run the fans at 700rpm on idle but my bro who also has a golden edition hasnt had any problems on his stock either. So if you're on a more recent one like .182 with the fan fix or bought a card after end of November, chances are you won't have the fan issues.

As for the later versions I have no clue unless its more for UEFI stuff :p

16. slickric21

slickric21 Guest

GPU:
    eVGA 1080ti SC / Gsync
    Is .185 for Samsung for memory aswell ?

Iirc there were different vbios for different brands of vram.
    .125 for Samsung, and .126 for Hynix.

Then suddenly from .182 for all cards ?

Got Samsung vram and just wondering what the latest vbios is for me. (Currently on the fan fix .182)

17. Elite3540

Elite3540 Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 970 GAMING 4G OC
    Thanks very much man, I was looking for those threads/Guides. :)

18. EdKiefer

EdKiefer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS TUF 3060ti
    It goes by SN# like here
    https://forum-en.msi.com/index.php?topic=184740.0

I don't know on which SN# has which memory .
    I guess once they had both brands running they maybe could make 1 bios compatible with both .

19. EdKiefer

EdKiefer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS TUF 3060ti
    What you are talking about was early on at release some of the fans had issues of not spinning up right .
    If you had one of these cards you needed to RMA it and AFAIK most had no trouble doing that , though I did see some Europe resellers giving users hard time returning .
    The bios fan fix is just something many cards that support 0 fan idle speeds had set wrong in bios with new Nvidia drivers .

20. Astug

Astug Member Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4070 Ti
    Cheers mate.