ROG SWIFT PG278Q Premium Gaming Monitor

Discussion in 'Computer Monitor Forum' started by Pzykotik, May 14, 2014.

1. sounar

sounar Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080
    i almost purchased this monitor but the price tag of $1030 after tax is hard to swallow considering with all the faulty units =,(

Last edited: Dec 4, 2014
  2. ubercake

ubercake Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 2080 Ti XC Blk
    You don't need to push frame rates that high while using G-sync.

It's the low minimums and tearing that is more noticeable at low frame rates that really make you feel the drops.

For one, tearing is eliminated with G-sync.

And when it comes to low frame rates, things will look choppy/stuttery below the mid 20s as we as humans can start to see the individual frames when frame rates get that low no matter what the setup (like a flip book animation that is flipping too slow and the animation stutters). Minimum frame rates will stay above 30 with any settings and with any AAA title with your setup and a Swift monitor.

Changes in frame rates with a G-sync monitor are not really discernible as the video is smooth whether you're at 30fps or 100+fps.

Last edited: Dec 11, 2014
  3. anthonyl

anthonyl Member Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX 7800XT
    Have had my ROG Swift for a few weeks now and touch wood have not had any issues.

Running it with 2 x Gigabyte G1 GTX 970's.

4. TeX_UK

TeX_UK Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080 FE
    Had mine over 6 months now & touch wood its still rocks :D .

5. signex

signex Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Upgrading
    I hope they still make these after 6 months, when i get my financial sh*t together i'll be picking one up for sure + 980 that i will SLI later.

6. 007.SirBond

007.SirBond Guest

GPU:
    NVIDIA GTX Titan 6GB
    Is your OD set on extreme?

7. Dillinger

Dillinger Guest

GPU:
    GTX 950
    It's set to normal.

8. Dillinger

Dillinger Guest

GPU:
    GTX 950
    I tested with overdrive on normal, extreme & off.

Neither setting eliminated the green ghosting.

Even though the green ghosting was less prevalent on the extreme setting when moving windows around on the desktop or when scrolling it had no effect in games.

When walking along a mesh fence in a game it shows green, but when walking along a tin building its a red & green distortion.

I used a different monitor and didn't see this at all.

9. Dillinger

Dillinger Guest

GPU:
    GTX 950
    The ghosting appears to be more visible on games with a lot of bloom effects.

On BFBC2 for example, the ghosting is pretty awful.

Any object with lighting behind it casts this green, red and sometimes purple ghost trail.

Last edited: Dec 30, 2014
  10. 007.SirBond

007.SirBond Guest

GPU:
    NVIDIA GTX Titan 6GB
    If I were you, I'd RMA yours or exchange it with the vendor.

11. VultureX

VultureX Banned

GPU:
    MSI GTX970 SLI
    Yea gSync is a blessing. Before gSync on a 60Hz monitor I always noticed when the framerate makes dips to 55 or something when using vSync with triple buffering. With gSync it's really hard to distinguish these minor dips anymore and even at 40 fps you're still having an amazing time with awesome picture clarity.

Highly recommended to the 'I can't game at anything below 60fps, but I CAN watch movies at 24fps and don't notice anything' community.

12. BarryB

BarryB Guest

GPU:
    Palit SJS 780 in SLI
    Ugh! My mates Swift has just died!

He's just rung me to tell me it's dead, said for the last few days it's switched off immediately after switching on, then today it won't switch on at all, no red ring! Said it flashed briefly before switching off!! He bought this in August from SCAN so he's ringing them tomorrow for an RMA or refund, so he's back on his old Hanns-G HG281DJ 28"

Is this a known problem with swifts?

13. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    Just go to the ROG forums -- there are tons of people with tons of problems.

14. TeX_UK

TeX_UK Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080 FE
    Has he checked the fuse in the plug might be an idea.

15. 007.SirBond

007.SirBond Guest

GPU:
    NVIDIA GTX Titan 6GB
    Question about hz, if my game can only run at say 75 fps, does running at 144hz or 120hz have any benefit?

Will running at higher refresh rates lower the lifespan of the monitor?

16. BUFDUP

BUFDUP Guest

lol people jump to conclusions so quick. You the swift uses a 90watt ac adapter? Also some new asus laptops use the same one. Id know... I work in a computer shop where we repair desktops/laptops. So many chargers die

17. BarryB

BarryB Guest

GPU:
    Palit SJS 780 in SLI
    The power is fine as apparently it had turned itself on he said today and the red ring was flashing, so he switched it off on the monitor. But, when he came in later it had switched itself back on and the red ring was flashing again and now he says it's working?

Told him to ring Scan and get it replaced!

18. yasamoka

yasamoka Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac RTX 3090
    Yes. The frame will be scanned in 1 / refresh rate. In the case of 144Hz for example, even if you're getting 75FPS, the frame will be scanned on the screen in 1/144 s, reducing input lag and increasing responsiveness. It will be updated every 1/75 s though, so the screen spends an additional (1/75 - 1/144) s waiting for the next frame.

The electronics are working harder at higher refresh rates. The panel is refreshing more frequently. I would not go as far as saying that would lower the lifespan of the monitor, as it's designed to handle those refresh rates (both electronics and the panel). The monitor will work less at lower refresh rates though, so I would go the positive route and say that this will possibly increase lifespan. I would not be bothered though, and would just set it straight to 144Hz 24/7.

19. 007.SirBond

007.SirBond Guest

GPU:
    NVIDIA GTX Titan 6GB
    Will my eyeballs increase in power because I stare at a 144hz screen when everyone else only watches screens that refresh at 60hz?

20. Deasnutz

Deasnutz Guest

GPU:
    Titan X 12GB
    Too me the lower refresh rate of 85Hz produces a clearer image (eye getting less changes), but with slightly choppier motion. Where 144Hz produces smoother motion, but less clear (more updates to process).