Xbox One SDK reveals developer privileges to seventh CPU core

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by 1nstant, Jan 3, 2015.

1. 1nstant

1nstant Guest

GPU:
  2. Aura89

Aura89 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    how does access to another core "stop terrible ports"?

This will basically do nothing, microsoft is just freaking out about how much more powerful the PS4 is and is trying to do everything they can to even it out. 1 extra core won't really make a difference

3. scatman839

scatman839 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080, KD55XD800
    It will sort of, especially in more CPU heavy games where it already has a foot up from the slightly higher clock speed.

4. Redemption80

Redemption80 Guest

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    Yeah, shouldn't make any difference to PC ports as PC games also need around 2 cores for the OS.

Not sure what difference it will make to most X1 games either, might be good for exclusives though.

5. Loobyluggs

Loobyluggs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060 12GB
    My PS3 is better than this for teevee.

Was watching netflix and amazon prime years before this media box came along. My Panasonic telly even integrates with it so I don't even need to use another remote control for doing stuff on the PS3, it's easy.

So many problems with the design of the xboner from a technical and general standpoint, too. That guy on youtube who does the teardowns for stuff opened it up and the inside just looks like a PC, with loads of grey and black plastic with 1990's silvery frame and chassis elements - yuck. And the size of the fan, yikes, what a joke.

And now we got this - a back-peddling attempt from a technical standpoint on the xboner.

When are people going to realise that Micro$oft are not a hardware manufacturer and only got into the console market by accident when Nintendo and Sega screweedup and Sony got into the market. Sega then screwed up on the Saturn technical design, and then again by releasing too late/too early (depending on your point of view) with the dreamcast, and left the market for good - which left room for another player.

The irony of this is that Microsoft is now getting pushed put by the very company who let them in. Sony.

If you got one, trade it in now, there are plenty of suckers out there who will buy one.

6. Redemption80

Redemption80 Guest

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    Did you click on the wrong thread??

7. (.)(.)

(.)(.) Banned

GPU:
    GTX 970
    The appearance of the internals are irrelevant, why bring up something that no one is going to see. The Japanese specialize in hardware manufacturing and at compact sizes. The ps3 was nearly half way through its lifespan before it was useful for anything other than gaming and blu-ray, the xb1's tv features work now.

Tbh, while the ps4 maybe more powerful, the lack of proper (non side scrolling 'HD' me-too indie titles) new gen games is just as bad as anything MS have or havnt done. Dont even get me started on Sony's useless $450 paperweight that is the Vita.

If you want to brag about performance, capabilities and games. Stick to pc gaming and complement it with a wii-u.

Oh and lets not forget that the ps4 still doesnt support the playing of personal movies from usb or from the HDD. All of MS's video/music feature sets worked out of the box from day-1 or had done with in a year.

I dont like either of the consoles as they simply lack what they're designed for - Games. Dont try to tell me otherwise, i could care less about all the ****ty (and they are ****ty) indie titles that are now saturating the market and being used by sony and ms to say "look at alllllll the games weee have". Dont bitch about kojima and selling a "demo" as a game and then use indie titles to defend the new consoles. Im well over that argument.

Last edited: Jan 4, 2015
  8. Black_ice_Spain

Black_ice_Spain Guest

GPU:
    5700XT
    2 cores for a mostly idling OS? :3eyes:

what for?

9. CalculuS

CalculuS Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1660Ti
    I think because of how the messaging system and friend list stuff works. Also the fact you can always open that overlay wherever you are.

10. Redemption80

Redemption80 Guest

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    Yeah, think Sony/MS just reserved two cores rather than it needing two cores.
    As for the PC, last I checked a dual core CPU was the minimum for an OS these days.

11. Black_ice_Spain

Black_ice_Spain Guest

GPU:
    5700XT
    well, they implement security crap there AFAIK, ps3 had security hard-coded in one of the cell accelerators for example.

Dual core CPU is mostly the mininum sold today, but noway any OS takes 2 cores only for it. I think if you dont want to share cores, 1core is muuuuuch more than enough for windows. But anyways, sharing cores is not that bad for games, unless there's a cache poisoning app around, and games can't decide wheter if they'll be alone in a core or not, so I don't think anyone would program a game ignoring two cores @ PC, maybe some workbalance can be done to avoid cache poisoning on one core hurting all of them, but anyways not many external apps shud be running while a full-screen game is running.

Plus one core of any overclocked i5 its capable of executing enormous amounts of instructions per cycle ( average) :p

I meant @ PC, idk how console OS's work but if i had to bet they should be even a ligther version of a regular PC OS (like windows), except security :p.

12. Aura89

Aura89 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    I just skimmed it and went to the verdict and see that the xbox and PS4 both display at 1080p, however, the PS4 has more foliage and a couple of other effects (more lens flare) and runs at 30fps pretty much average, yet the xbox one doesn't run at 30fps, not much below, but still below, with less stuff to put on the screen. So unless i missed something, the extra core doesn't seem to have helped much

i did read it does a LITTLE bit better with high-density traffic, but that's only one thing, the rest is still not performing aswell

As to ACU, i'm not even going to try and touch on that one as it's a horrible game, performance wise, no matter what system you are running, and because of that, any perceived "win" over the PS4 can't really be taken into account as it's so screwed up in its origins who knows what the real reason one system performs better then the other

in fact, after patches, the PS4 has improved far more than the xbox one, which tells me they didn't code for the PS4 very effectively, and again who knows why one system performs better or worse then the other when it comes to ACU as it's a very big mess

13. laststop

laststop Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire Toxic 2GB 5870
    the extra core aint helpin much cause xbox games are shader bound not cpu bound. maybe they figure out a way to make games a load a tiny bit faster and or maybe use some background features but games really don't take much use over 4 cores as the norm. Instead of unlocking the core they shoulda just bumped the clocks a little more.

14. Cyberdyne

Cyberdyne Guest

GPU:
    2080 Ti FTW3 Ultra
    They already released, what was it, that 10% of resources for the kinect to help speed up games. Now 'a' cpu core? Lol, talk about desperate. They are going to these measures to speed up the console, and this is the piece of hardware that is supposed to last you for the next 10 years? Riiiight.

As far as clocking it higher, obviously that would help a lot more. I doubt it's heat preventing them from doing so this time around. Probably the simple fact they can't guarantee stability on all their consoles with clocks higher then they are. (remember, a consoles performance needs to be 100% the same across the board, can't be having xbones with different clock speeds) One thing they REALLY do not want to happen is another mass recall like with the 360. Something like that could easily convert xbox loyalist to the ps4, could be the last nail in the coffin of the xbone.

15. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    Sticking mobile apu/mobile/low power cpus single worse thing both Sony and MS could done to console.

They anit lasting 10 years there are 4 year old i5/i7 out there that have more raw power then the apu/cpu in this consoles that could be had for less specially in bulk, Hell the cell cpu has more raw power then ps4 and one is only slight better cause of slight higher clock "if" the cpu test by ubisoft are to be trusted

http://www.worldsfactory.net/2014/10/15/ps4-gpgpu-doubles-xb1-gpgpu-ubisoft-test

In all honesty a unlock core wont help a already terrible apu/cpu Now if those apu/cpu if clock they were at min of 3.0ghz that is another story which what they should of been to being with but seriously 1.6ghz?? these are consoles not effing tablet/phones. that have batteries and none extant cooling systems.

I am disappointed by both sony/ms with there choices in cpu's this gen and and the reasoning is apparnt more so on ms side things as 1080p@60fps still not happening and for most 30fps dont actual stay 30 fps either.

16. XP-200

XP-200 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI Radeon RX 6400
    ^^Of course the only problem i see with offloading stuff that the CPU was doing, onto the GPU, is that if the GPU was already having issues with doing its normal GPU tasks, then won't having it do even more stuff it can't cope with impact even more on the stuff it was having issues with before.

Stealing from Peter to pay Paul is fine, until you find out that Peter was also stealing to pay Paul. lol

17. Loobyluggs

Loobyluggs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060 12GB
    Watching and commenting on M$ flush themselves down the toilet and reiterating the mistakes which have been made in the past and reminiscing how lucky M$ have been.

Definitely in the right place.

18. Redemption80

Redemption80 Guest

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    It has nothing to do with the thread though and MS are hardly in a bad place lol.

19. ManofGod

ManofGod Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire R9 Fury Nitro
    Well, personally, I am pleased to see more improvements as the consoles life cycle moves on. Honestly, for those who want to whine or claim desperation, I hope that Sony just stays in business considering how much cash they are bleeding. It would royally suck to have the PS4 go belly up because Sony did.

20. kinggavin

kinggavin Guest

GPU:
    gtx 980TI super jetstream
    game developers are to blame when a pc port get relesed its always broken unoptimized then a modder fixes it you get better performance and game looks better, enb is an example on gta 4 transforms the game and better performance if you get the right modder game developers cold easy make games look better on pc and games they all should be 60 fps on a 4 core cpu and a mid range gpu then people with high end card get 100 fps and sli users get 150fps for the 144hz monitors that should be the standard