Elite: Dangerous

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by JonasBeckman, Nov 6, 2012.

1. signex

signex Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 Ti
    Is there some kind of demo you can get for this game?

Cause i'm done buying games without trying them first...

2. Cubemonkey

Cubemonkey Member Guru

GPU:
    Crossfire 7970s
    Unfortunately, no.

I'll say this.

Don't buy it if you don't have a joystick or don't want to buy one.

Don't buy it if you can't deal with a learning curve.

Don't buy it if you need a lot of direction in games - this is a game about making your own goals and adventures.

3. signex

signex Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 Ti
    Yeah i guess it's not for me then, i tried EvE once, it was kind of fun but it was too hard to get into. :bang:

4. ScoobyDooby

ScoobyDooby Guest

GPU:
    1080Ti & Acer X34
    You will find this game tough to get into for sure.. the lack of real tutorials and info in game is a problem, and has been for a while.
    I still don't understand some stuff in the game because the game itself doesn't explain or give ideas on how they work, and no, I'm not interested in having to go online for everything I wish to learn about a game.. there should be more in game.

Also, the start is pretty boring to try to grind and find credits, so you may find that you'll tire quickly. In fact, I think many people who are casual gamers will tire of this game very quickly.. I personally wouldn't, I enjoy the game for what it is, but even I can see that the game has some serious lacks in content and excitement.

5. Anarion

Anarion Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce RTX 3060 Ti
    IMO they should have officially launched it then and not now.

6. Bond!JamesBond!

Bond!JamesBond! Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080
    At the top it says Training, it's Youtube Videos.... http://elitedangerous.com/guide/training/ ......on how to play, better than reading a manual.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 20, 2014
  7. Bond!JamesBond!

Bond!JamesBond! Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080
    I use a gamepad. Works fine for me. I tossed my flight stick aside for it.
    Advanced gamepad settings in game works great. Everything you need. I can fly just fine.

Game does have a deep learning curve, but if it was easy, it would suck! The Training Videos Help A ton. I learned the hard way on my own in Beta.

8. Bond!JamesBond!

Bond!JamesBond! Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080
    I think they needed money so they could keep working on DLC's.

9. ScoobyDooby

ScoobyDooby Guest

GPU:
    1080Ti & Acer X34
    I get that, but there are many things in the game that are not explained in game and having to find answers while watching YouTube videos gets old.

Again, I personally don't mind it THAT much, but I can definitely see how it can be a drawback from the perspective of a new player which is the same perspective from which I wrote my initial post.

I do agree with anarion as well though, that this game needed a couple more months before release for it to be considered "release ready". It to me is still unfinished in many ways.. As it is now I would still consider beta.

10. Im2bad

Im2bad Guest

GPU:
    3080 Gaming X Trio
    I think part of the fun in the game is finding out stuff for yourself, but that's just my opinion.

Personally, I find the game very enjoyable from the ~6 hours that I've played it. Darn exams got in the way of playing it, but they're over now at least.

Concerning the "Don't buy if you don't have a joystick", I don't really have any problems with using keyboard and mouse, I can manoeuvre just fine. I do have a gamepad, will have to try it later tonight.

11. Bond!JamesBond!

Bond!JamesBond! Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080
    Gamepad works great, i think in settings its under advanced controller.
    They did a real good job getting all you can out of a gamepad.

12. jimdove

jimdove Guest

GPU:
    Windforce 1080ti
    whats the best joystick for this game lads? Im sure I heard about one during beta but just cant remember what it was

13. Veteran

Veteran Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2xTitan XM@1590Mhz-CH20
  14. Im2bad

Im2bad Guest

GPU:
    3080 Gaming X Trio
    So I tried a PS3 controller with the game and I could fly well enough but dogfighting was such a pain that it just isn't worth the effort.

Changed back to K&M and instantly felt better.

15. Bond!JamesBond!

Bond!JamesBond! Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080
    I kick butt with my gamepad.

16. AlxFitz

AlxFitz Maha Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 970GTX
    On my way to Hutton Orbital in Alpha Centauri as part of a branched mission. Never again though that's for sure as it takes ages (1/4 of a light year away), so be warned!

17. millibyte

millibyte Maha Guru

GPU:
    Smoothbore125mm gun
    This and GTAV are probably the only games I'll buy (and need) in 2015.

18. h4rm0ny

h4rm0ny Guest

GPU:
    R9 285 / 2GB
    Someone posted with exactly the same issue you have over on the Elite Forums. I'll reproduce the exchange here for your entertainment:

Which then provoked several responses of how it's "realistic" and go play Eve. But this reply stood out as my favourite:

So there you have it, apparently. No mercy! You should have known before you took the mission! :D

19. ScoobyDooby

ScoobyDooby Guest

GPU:
    1080Ti & Acer X34
    ^ you will get that alot on the Elite forums.

According to the masses there ED is the perfect game and nothing at all is wrong with it ever. EVER.

20. Veteran

Veteran Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2xTitan XM@1590Mhz-CH20
    People know that the game can be boring to some but what veteran players of the game understand is that more features and content will follow. Its the vision in the future that holds true.

I love the game as it is I but then again I'm an original elite player from 1984, had it on the speccy, c64, Amiga and I also played the clones like foft and captain blood. I still have a physical copy of elite boxed on the Amiga and zx spectrum as well as the sequels.apart from frontier.

Also played All the sequels to death as well like fanmade conversions like pioneer and f3d....

I'm.alzo a member of the original forums since 2010, back in the dark days when you was lucky to get 1 post per month, no joke. Hardcre players yearning for an update after elite 4 vaourware was cancelled after the outsider.

Basically I'm an elite fruitcake and the legacy alone holds true for me, however I could be blinded by rose tinted spectacles while reminiscing years long gone but I know a lot more content will come. Anyway 10 days off from work I'm on it :)