Elite: Dangerous

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by JonasBeckman, Nov 6, 2012.

1. HonoredShadow

HonoredShadow Ancient Guru

GPU:
    msi 4090
    Quote from someone on the ED Pilot Training - Basic Flight Controls video.

That in part is what I'm having problems with, at least with keyboard and mouse.

2. ScoobyDooby

ScoobyDooby Guest

GPU:
    1080Ti & Acer X34
    Answer:

Stop playing with Keyboard and Mouse. This game SUCKS with K&M.. quite honestly, if you wish to enjoy the game, use a joystick or gamepad.. unfortunately, that is how the game is meant to be played.

Even just escaping from interdictions or general dogfighting is made WAY easier and more managable by using a hotas.. at least it was for me.

As for the turning speed, it can be made faster, but obviously you have to maintain a particular scope towards your throttle. I personally don't mind this so much, but it would be handy to overboost your positioning thrusters in some instances (Particularly when landing)

Yes.. and, See above :)

Last edited: Dec 16, 2014
  3. HonoredShadow

GPU:
    msi 4090
    Which stick and throttle did you get again scooby? I'm thinking of the X52 but Amazon says it's discontinued by manufacturer. Is there a new one? Is this one better?

4. Sempaii

Sempaii Member Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 2070
    Check this out, HOTAS is abit more then just a "joystick" but it will give you alot better felling when you fly.

http://www.reddit.com/r/hotas/comments/2ebf5d/introduction_what_is_a_hotas_anyway/

I have started out with the T16000M ( holding of for Costum Hotas from RSI)
    Must say realy enjoy the T16000 :)

5. Veteran

Veteran Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2xTitan XM@1590Mhz-CH20
    Get a Microsoft force feedback 2 from ebay and a CH pro throttle.
    Best combo. You can do things with the throttle that you just cannot do with a keyboard and mouse or even a Joypad.

6. HonoredShadow

GPU:
    msi 4090
    I know you say it's a great joystick. I would just rather have something new and not second hand. I'm still looking at the X52, X52 v2 and X55 but I don't know enough about sticks to know if it's good for ED and does not have to much floppiness.

7. Bond!JamesBond!

Bond!JamesBond! Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080
    CH Products, I love EM!

8. HonoredShadow

GPU:
    msi 4090
    What about joystick software? Would I need any if I was only playing ED? I'm concerned about the need of decent software too.

9. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    lol https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AylO0WEWotY

EDIT: I'm thinking about picking up a Thrustmaster T16000M joystick for this, don't really have space for a HOTAS atm and this joystick seems to have really good reviews.

EDIT: Sod it, tweaked my key bindings and I'm happy with m+k. One problem, the game runs at 40-50fps for me, then I noticed it was running my 970 at 540mhz, so I'll obviously have to force it to run full 3D clocks otherwise it's just not fun :)

10. Veteran

Veteran Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2xTitan XM@1590Mhz-CH20
    Dont bother with the X52 as they have deadzone issues after use as ive said before on here. There are fixes like using a magnet and such (youtube) but tbh i would just steer well clear of any X52 device if you want it to last.

The x55 i have no idea as personally i dont buy saitek products, on another note the x55 looks good but have no idea how it performs or how well it is regarding longevity.

All keys are mappable in game, if you want the best software for a HOTAS then CH products wins hands down. There software is best out of any (CH manager) and there support is also one of the best including there forum.

11. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    So now that I'm running full 3D clocks, the game is reporting over 100fps, but there's stuttering when manouvering the ship around sometimes. Anyone else getting this?

12. Veteran

Veteran Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2xTitan XM@1590Mhz-CH20
    I have my nvidia inspector tweaked .xml to run at 98-99 fps as i have my monitor running at 100hz. When i was running at 100fps i got the odd stutter but now i get nothing, very smooth just like FC4.

Find the value below and change the bold portion, all idid was give myself the option to select to have 99fps frame limiter from nvidia inspector beings as my monitor is running at 100hz. Decimal to hex blah blah blah etc.

Once you have done this you can select it for all games within Inspector.

<UserfriendlyName>73 fps ( might improve inputlag on vsync 75Hz )</UserfriendlyName>
    <HexValue>0xF0000049</HexValue>
    </CustomSettingValue>
    <CustomSettingValue>
    <UserfriendlyName>74 fps</UserfriendlyName>
    <HexValue>0xF000004A</HexValue>
    </CustomSettingValue>
    <CustomSettingValue>
    <UserfriendlyName>75 fps</UserfriendlyName>
    <HexValue>0xF000004B</HexValue>
    </CustomSettingValue>
    <CustomSettingValue>
    <UserfriendlyName>99 fps ( might improve inputlag on vsync 120Hz )</UserfriendlyName>
    <HexValue>0xF000005f</HexValue>
    </CustomSettingValue>
    <CustomSettingValue>
    <UserfriendlyName>119 fps</UserfriendlyName>
    <HexValue>0xF0000077</HexValue>
    </CustomSettingValue>
    <CustomSettingValue>
    <UserfriendlyName>120 fps</UserfriendlyName>
    <HexValue>0xF0000078</HexValue>

13. Bond!JamesBond!

Bond!JamesBond! Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080
    I can't say how many times iv'e herd people complain when playing the game, "space feels empty".........

Really?
    [​IMG]

Well, there is dark matter..
    That must be where all this content people want is hiding..

Maybe Aliens
    [​IMG]

14. Veteran

Veteran Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2xTitan XM@1590Mhz-CH20
    Thargoids.

15. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    I'll try just to cap it in Inspector first, if that doesn't work, I'll try that ^

16. drewho

drewho Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX3090
    one thing i really want to do is look at the ship exterior, is there any exterior camera view or anything? seems such a waste because they're seriously nice looking ships

17. Bond!JamesBond!

Bond!JamesBond! Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080
    when you go in the hangar you can.

18. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    Guys, you playing Open Play or Solo?

19. Veteran

Veteran Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2xTitan XM@1590Mhz-CH20
    There is an external view coming later on so you can view your ship from any angle.

Eclap I wont be playing until next week when I have 10 days off from work.
    What is your name in game I will add you?

20. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    So I sat down last night to "play a bit". Didn't get up from my chair till 4:30am. The game is great. Frustrating at times, but it all makes sense.

There are some really cool touches, like you fly to a space orbital, one of those small terminals with only a handful of landing pads, and you ask for a landing permission, it'll be denied. You try again, denied... so you linger around, you see a ship leave the terminal and guess what, you get the permission as soon as that pad is available.

I like this, it makes perfect sense. What I found a bit frustrating was finding the landing pads in general, at times, you have to orbit the whole thing to find your pad sometimes, also the entrance into the big space stations takes a while to find, if you're not lucky, the first few times.

All in all, did a few delivery missions, one pirate mission. The game is immense. I really really love it.

The name is eclap mate ^

Off to play some more.