Razer Releases 180 EURO Seiren Digital Microphone

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Dec 12, 2014.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    Razer today announced the Razer Seirēn (stylized as "Seirēn" and pronounced "Sigh-ren"), a plug-and-play digital microphone designed for studio-grade recording and stream...

Razer Releases 180 EURO Seiren Digital Microphone

2. Ven0m

Ven0m Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3080
  3. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    Using 25€ mono mic, no noise issues. While this one looks lovely, I would buy it if only it came at price tag under 120€.
    Because most of voice communication systems will not improve in quality with better than 15€ microphone.

4. Adamora

Adamora Guest

GPU:
    Zotac 2070 Super
    What in the hell...

Why the premium price? Is it because of the brand? is the SQ and the Frequency Response that good to warrant the price tag?

With no history of microphones in general (aside from headsets), I don't see any Gearhead worth his salt buying this.

5. MM10X

MM10X Guest

GPU:
    3080 FE
    looks like they just taking high end audio stuff, re-marketing it to gamer and slap a bit higher price tag.

Makes since, as most average gamer don't know much about high end audio stuff so they just buy what is marketed at them.

I notice this a lot in the emergence of livestream and lets play stuff. A lot of the people doing it are not really knowledgeable in AV.

6. vazup

vazup Guest

GPU:
    r9 280X
    Looks pretty cool but I dont buy a decent mic just because my friends dont plan to.. If im not hearing good sound from them sure as hell not going to spend money so they can hear me better :D

7. INSTG8R

INSTG8R Guest

GPU:
    Nitro+ 5700XT
  8. Tat3

Tat3 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4070 Ti Super
    Frequency Response doesn't matter much as long as you get the mic calibration file so you can make it flat. At least if you want to use it calibrating stuff. If you don't get calibration file for mic this expensive, I don't see this being worth it. Being USB is more like a downside than positive for me.

9. Lane

Lane Guest

GPU:
    2x HD7970 - EK Waterblock
    Last edited: Dec 14, 2014
  10. BLEH!

BLEH! Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Fury
    You can grab a fairly decent USB condensor mic for about 40 quid...

11. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    Yeah I never really understood the popularity with Yeti and clones. I see lots of streamers using them and yet Shure produces a 10x better product for a similar price.

12. Ven0m

Ven0m Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3080
    It's easy to use. Just buy it, plug in, and then record, switch modes etc.
    These recording modes are interesting, but I think that the most of the users don't really change them once set up. There are lots of podcasters and youtubers using Yeti with great results - it's basically good enough, and put in an easy to use package.

With "stand-alone microphone", you need a few extra devices to make it work as intended. So when you sum it up and want great quality, it doesn't necessarily have to be cheaper than Yeti (yes, it can be but it's not that easy).

If I was using mic extensively for something more than gaming, I'd probably get something pro-grade. And for gaming a desktop Logitech USB mic is kinda okayish, but I'm considering getting ModMic.

Last edited: Dec 15, 2014
  13. Lane

Lane Guest

GPU:
    2x HD7970 - EK Waterblock
    Well, thoses stand alone microphone exist too with pro grade mic... all you need is a usb switch connector as the xu2: http://www.shure.com/americas/produ...problem-solvers/x2u-xlr-to-usb-signal-adapter

They provide combo since a while for it.
    The classic SM58+xu2 or SM57+xu2 USB digital bundle version: 199$
    http://www.shure.com/americas/products/microphones/sm/sm57-x2u-usb-digital-bundle

This said i aggree with you about the fact sometimes it is more convenient to buy thoses products.. Specially for peoples who are not used with professional material.. ( could be a real jungle of brands, products who are sometimes so specialized ) .. The yeti is not bad at all too.

Last edited: Dec 15, 2014
  14. Ven0m

Ven0m Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3080
    Thanks for the links, I didn't know it's as simple now.

Some people use kinda okayish mics, but the gap between average computer mic and Yeti is huge. Although I have to say that Logitech USB desktop mic is great for its price. Anyway, if I listen to many podcasts, you can easily appreciate the quality microphone. It's so much easier to understand what they're saying, and it makes you less tired and more focused.

There's also a question of good enough. I can't speak of mics too much, as I have little experience with them, but I had some headphones. I was using Plantronics 777 gaming headset and the sound was pretty much ok, and it had good directional mic. Jumping to Philips HP890 and Audigy 2 made music so much better, and it made in-game positioning easier. Then I got 2nd hand Philips HP1000 for some silly money, paired them with Xonar D2X and the difference was night and day. Custom amp added music clarity and BFBC2 kicks/bans for claimed hacking :) Later on I bought Westone UM-3X RC for work, which made me ask, how much better the sound can be. My brother got himself Razer Blackshark headset, which does some awesome work in games, especially shooters, but when I bought AKG K712 for home usage... well... no gaming headset that I've tried is even close. The sound/music fun, immersion, clarity, scene, and positioning are completely outclassing "good gaming headsets". Once you grab some higher end stuff (some audiophiles would consider K712 low-mid-end), it's and eye-opening, revealing experience and you don't want to come back. But if you never give it a try, you won't know, because how can you know without experience?

Now, I wonder if I should go for ModMic or pro-grade cheap microphone. I don't do podcasts/recordings, so it would be just for gaming, but I respect my teammates, so I'd rather get something that makes my voice clear and easy to understand.