Rumor has it: LG wants to release consumer 8K-tv next year

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Dec 11, 2014.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
  2. lucidus

lucidus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Super Ultra HD ...

Has Capcom bought them out?!

3. Koreans and their weird screen resolution fetish.

4. k3vst3r

k3vst3r Ancient Guru

GPU:
    KP3090
    Well first came 720p, then not long after 1080p came. 4K is like 720p standard whilst 8K 1080p standard is waiting in background. We all know 8K will be better, 4K is the stepping stone to 8K.

5. rflair

rflair Don Coleus Staff Member

GPU:
    5700XT
    If they did it on a PC monitor at around 36" the PPI would great, you could literally run many lower resolutions with no ugliness.

6. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    Does "consumer" word indicates it will cost less than arm & liver?

7. Ven0m

Ven0m Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3080
    You made my day! :D

But I can hardly find a purpose for such device except for CAD presentation/collaboration panel.

8. jimdove

jimdove Guest

GPU:
    Windforce 1080ti
    christ, i wish they would just stop with the resolution spamming. Here in the UK, we get apallingly compressed SD stuff, hell, most stuff is not even converted to widescreen yet, let alone full HD via satellite. Lets make HD the standard for ALL channels first, then start thinking about 4k and 8k. Id rather they started focusing on higher framerates. Watching sport at 60fps would look miles better than the usual stuttery TV 24fps, even if its at 8k it still looks like **** with the stuttering,blurring when its moving.

9. laststop

laststop Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire Toxic 2GB 5870
    you're a douche if u buy an 8k tv and spend the super high price when there is zero content. Anyone with a brain would wait some years for the prices of 8k to come down and for there to actually be content. No reason to rush and pay a higher price when there isn't even any content to watch on it.

Can probably get a 4k OLED tv for the same price as an 8k LCD

10. Toss3

Toss3 Guest

GPU:
    WC Inno3D GTX 980 TI
    What if you buy one to use as a computer monitor (need new GPUs with support for 8K first, but should be fine next year)?

11. Lane

Lane Guest

GPU:
    2x HD7970 - EK Waterblock
    Im pretty sure it could be well used for any presentation on any wall: shops / mall publicity ( luxury shops ), office reception, etc etc. As for home, no content available anyway.
    Untill someone release an absolutely monstruous upscaling system for 1080p > 8K and 4K > 8K... ( I try to imagine how a simple DVD could look on it... maybe using a 180p video from youtube on a 1600p monitor is close )

Last edited: Dec 11, 2014
  12. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    Very, very useless with little gain at all. Also, I'm not aware of any native 8K and quite few native 4K contents besides PC gaming, so for me personally, this is pure stupidity, nothing better than a tech demo one can buy.

13. Matt26LFC

Matt26LFC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080Ti
    Lol 8K already, I've not long had a 1080p TV (Samsung ue40h6400) and aside from my blue rays and Netflix got virtually no HD content and 1080p has been around for years! Seriously how long will it take for 8K to be the norm? 2030!?

14. Noufel

Noufel Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1080 ti xtrem
    I can't imagine what monster gpu can run a game at that resolution

15. Seketh

Seketh Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 580 8GB
    I agree.

8K is useless, waste of money. Forget TV, most stuff is just upscaled SD content anyway, it's 2014, what are they waiting for?

But I hate LG, so I'm biased.

16. ruiner13

ruiner13 Guest

GPU:
    Asus Strix 1080
    They haven't even gotten a UHD standard for optical media yet, so why not go for the gold and go straight for this. Sure.

17. russ1

russ1 Guest

GPU:
    GTX 970 Hurricane
    I'm going to wait 12 months and get a 16k :)

18. Ryu5uzaku

Ryu5uzaku Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6800 XT
    Well Japan is slowly getting 8K tv. They will test broadcasts in 2016 :D We got hardly 1080p here...

And they started 4K broadcasts last july :eek:

Last edited: Dec 11, 2014
  19. rflair

rflair Don Coleus Staff Member

GPU:
    5700XT
    It is innovation, sad to see people complain about it.

Leading edge tech has always been this way, expensive, initial limited use, the technology in it will be superseded. Glad that it happens though, we would be no where without it.

20. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asrock 7700XT
    True but you can argue the same about 4K screens. There are a small handful of videos on youtube that support 4K, and I know of nothing else. The amount of load it puts on your GPUs isn't worth it - I'd rather go with 2K and some AA (assuming the 2K resolution wasn't enough).

I find using a PC for anything that isn't gaming to be annoying if the resolution is greater than 1080. If you happen to make everything scale nicely, I just don't see the point - a little bit of pixelation isn't that big of a deal when I'm reading text.