GTX 970 Owners Thread

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by ScoobyDooby, Sep 19, 2014.

Tags:
  1. moparbjt

moparbjt Guest

GPU:
    Evga Ref-GTX980 in SLI
    Love My 2 Msi GTX 970's

That all being said about all the difference in all the cards. I got 2MSI GTX 970 GE,They play the games a lot smoother and 4 out of 8 of my GTX780 SC Score's have already falling to my GTX970's So I'm not complaining about the way the MSI 970's Work.:)

2. ScoobyDooby

ScoobyDooby Guest

GPU:
    1080Ti & Acer X34
    Hey bud, we get it okay? You're not impressed with the 970s as you've made abundantly clear.

If you don't care for these cards, why are you crawling around this thread still?

Seems to me recently its been to grief 970 owners. Poor showing.

Last edited: Dec 8, 2014
  3. moparbjt

moparbjt Guest

GPU:
    Evga Ref-GTX980 in SLI
    Well Put ScoobyDooby

4. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black

I posted because you all make it like they're uber fast while they aren't, basically old gen perf., that's all. :)

Last edited: Dec 8, 2014

5. Icanium

Icanium Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 4090TUF
    Sorry buddy, but you are confusing some with all.
    And aint that what basically all new gen midrange cards do, give you old gen high end performance?

6. ScoobyDooby

ScoobyDooby Guest

GPU:
    1080Ti & Acer X34
    No, you continue to post, not posted, as in singular.

You're entitled to an opinion, and users in this this thread are allowed to react and comment on these cards however they like as well. Get over yourself.

If you can't handle that and instead choose to grief people based on your snarky comments, it makes you look like a tool.

Just do everyone a favor and leave if our comments and opinions about these cards are so asinine to you. No need to stand up on a soapbox when you're so dismissive of the 9 series is there now?

7. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black
    ^
    Im just saying, yes my opinion, this thread is open for all.. So what ignore my rambling.

Its just funny you know, most say its so uber while in fact its just around 780GTX perf., 4-5 fps faster or pardon up to 10-12% faster. And in today's gaming world that's nothing anymore. Sometimes just enough @ 1080p.

Anyway, sorry I won't say anything more.

Bye. :nerd:

Last edited: Dec 9, 2014
  8. Icanium

Icanium Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 4090TUF
    Iam not asking you to not say more, cause the Unigine anomaly brings up an interesting point. I read a fellow guru's comments that the 256 bus width would be a limitation to these cards performance. Do you know of anyway to test Unigine to determine if the 970 performance is choked by the 256 bus width vs the 384 bus on the 780's?

9. ---TK---

---TK--- Guest

GPU:
    2x 980Ti Gaming 1430/7296
    Valley loves memory bandwidth, run the bench with vram underclocked to 6ghz, stock 7ghz and as close to 8ghz as you can get. Heaven is not affected as much with vram speed.

10. moparbjt

moparbjt Guest

GPU:
    Evga Ref-GTX980 in SLI
    Wow. Sure sounds like a little difference going on here
    780's 780ti's there all good cards and each to there own
    I always say
    But the new Maxwell do play a lot smoother
    AS for 980 verses The old well look at the Graphic's score
    From a 780ti SLI Compared to my 970's in SLI
    http://www.3dmark.com/3dm11/8745597 780Ti SLI

http://www.3dmark.com/3dm11/8997588 970' SLI

I think they will hold there own ( not in everything but they have it where it counts Smooth and high Framerate )

11. ---TK---

---TK--- Guest

GPU:
    You didn't go from 2 780ti to 2 970, did you? Even 2 980 is an awful upgrade from 2 780ti. Like 10 to 15% faster.

12. moparbjt

moparbjt Guest

GPU:
    Evga Ref-GTX980 in SLI
    No.. I only ever had 1 GTX780Ti the Asus Super Clock and yes It was
    an excellent card in fact it was the best single card I have owned
    However I did just move out of 2 EVGA GTX780 SC's AND MY 970'S DO GAME ALOT BETTER

As I said 770's 780's 780ti's have all been good cards :)

13. ---TK---

---TK--- Guest

GPU:
    I might get 2 980 if I had 2 780. But tbh that isn't very appealing to me either. Gm200 is what I am waiting for.

14. Simon719

Simon719 Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX970 gaming x2
    I love my two 970 but I too would not have upgraded from a 780ti to two 970 personally, but then I prefer to not waste my money on tiny upgrades ;)
    My two 970 do run all my games very well however and a great upgrade from a lower spec card, for example I wouldn't buy the 980's either as they cost around 70% more than my 970 for only about 15% increase in speed
    But it their money to spend on what they like but I have another expensive hobby and don't have unlimited funds :(

I have to add though that it's a far better card than the standard 780 ;)

Last edited: Dec 9, 2014
  15. Anarion

Anarion Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce RTX 3060 Ti
    It's tier below GTX 780. It's a GTX 770 replacement. GTX 970 is an impressive overall package - it's roughly 15% faster than my previous already overclocked GTX 780 in 3DMark11 for example while running way cooler and quieter (and obviously consuming less power). It also has one GB more ram which is a nice bonus. Starting price for these is way lower than what GTX 780 originally was. Considering that I get those improvements pretty much for free one I sold the GTX 780, I can't complain.

16. Johnny Rook

Johnny Rook Active Member

GPU:
    GTX 780 3Gb
    What "marketing strategy"? (Allegedly) that only happened once with GTX600 - and I have doubts we can consider GK104 a "mid-range" consumer GPU. Don't forget GK110 was an enterprise grade GPU, not a consumer grade GPU -, and to be "a strategy" it has to happen a lot more times. So, let time roll and we'll see how it goes. Just don't give straw-man arguments at this point in time. Did I mention both GTX900 cards BEAT the GTX780? Oh right...

17. ---TK---

---TK--- Guest

GPU:
    I been saying that forever. When I had 2 680 people accused me of defending my purchase but I upgraded to newer cards and my stance is the same. Go figure.

18. ---TK---

---TK--- Guest

GPU:
    2 970s is a tiny downgrade for 2 780ti. It ain't than much but its measurable.

19. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080
    I wonder if Nvidia has been neglecting driver optimizations for kepler cards lately in favor of maxwell. Some of the latest games show the 970/980 well ahead of kepler, yet AMD cards holding well.

http://www.techspot.com/articles-info/925/bench/1600.png

http://www.techspot.com/articles-info/917/bench/r2560.png

http://www.techspot.com/articles-info/903/bench/2560.png

From another site:

http://gamegpu.ru/images/remote/htt...GPU-Action-Far_Cry_4-nv-test-FarCry4_2560.jpg

Again, this only in the newer games. In older games the spread between kepler and maxwell is less.

20. Gizmo

Gizmo Guest

GPU:
    Which card are you upgrading from? : Powercolor 7970 V3

Which card are you upgrading to? : MSI GTX 970 GAMING Twin Frozr V

Why did you choose the card you did? : Idle & load noise based on this video from computerbase

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wmiVf9cmA9I

& OC results from various forums.

So had my MSI GTX 970 GAMING Twin Frozr V for a few days now and have to say im very happy with it :)

Did a bios update to bring it up to 84.04.2f.00.f1 and it boosts nicely to

1530 Mhz core & 2000 Mhz mem no artifacts & ZERO coil whine :banana:
    load temp @ 99% usage 58c 55% fan! kicks the S**T out of the 7970 for temp and fan noise.

I did have the core stable at 1550 Mhz for over 2 hours in Saints Row IV+GemFX last night but it crashed out with driver recovery so i backed it down a little for now.

Sorry no benches as IMO they are a total waste of time as they relate little to ingame feeling/game play and all vendors profile there drivers out the wazoo for them

Coming from a 7970 its quite a boost in some games that have heavy CPU usage (down to AMD's continued poor CPU overheads with there drivers)
    Frametime it way way smoother that the 7970 ever was(or will be)

Running the 344.80 Hotfix drivers atm and im getting intermittent blackscreen On Wake from Sleep on my main monitor (Hazro 127wc on DVI-D) & when i switch on the Pan Plasma (HDMI) and pull up Nv CP it reports no screen on DVI-D but signal will pop back on if i unplug/replug the Hazro......

Wiped Cmos + tried all combo's of PCI-e Gen and render sleep states & new/old cables but still wake is intermittent....looking that the various tech forums as well as Nv's own boards it seems they have been chasing this problem for a while with out 100% sucess....anyone fixed this with a driver roll back?