NVIDIA Moving to TSMC 16nm FinFET process

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Dec 5, 2014.

1. Lane

Lane Guest

GPU:
    2x HD7970 - EK Waterblock
    The problem with this type of information, they dont precise at all what product it is, just it will be available. You have different type of process for each node, HP ( high performance ); HPL ( HP low power ), LP ( Low power used generaly on SOC ). But with FinFet i think there's less difference between the type of process used. Then there's 2 version of the 16nmFinfet ( Finfet and Finfet+)

For be honest, TSMC care more to say Apple will be their client ( only for 10% of the next A9 soc, 90% will be made by Samsung for the 16nm Finfet. This could mean Samsung+Glofo have some good advance on it ).. Or today SOC ...

Last edited: Dec 5, 2014
  2. Clouseau

Clouseau Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ZOTAC AMP RTX 3070
    Depends where on the Laffer Curve this development is. Law of Diminishing Returns will always make its presence known.

3. IhatebeingAcop

IhatebeingAcop Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte RTX 2080
    You guys are right about the 970! I want one badly, I can also afford it. The reason I am not buying one is I have a backlog of games, which I highly recommend everyone starts. Basically get away from gaming for 6 months or so. Either start playing old favorites so you can allow the new releases time to age or find a new hobby for 6 months. This is awesome for a few reasons. First, everything will be cheaper in 6-12 months after the release. Second, all those games you get your hopes up for are play tested like crazy by PAYING customers. As we all know the consumer will let the developers know if there is a problem. So you get to play games after they drop in cost, you get them AFTER they have patched the heck out of it and lastly one that is most important to me now is this. By the time you get to the games you really want to play, GTA V, Witcher 3, FC4 etc... there will be NEW hardware out that can run everyone of those games at max settings bc that hardware is designed to run the newest most demanding games, not your backlog :p. So for me this is a no brainer. I feel like I get more out of games AND my hardware.

That being said I am ready to pee my pants in excitement for skylake and this new 14nm. I will likely get the hardware at the newly released price. So yeah, some times I can't follow my own advice. However I'll be playing all those above games at max settings without a frame flicker, stutter or anything else. Plus a lot of these games that are sold 12 months after the release come cheaper AND with extra downloadble content. Win all around if you ask me.

Best
    Adam

4. moab600

moab600 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PNY 4090 XLR8 24GB
    Nothing in PC gaming can assure u that u gonna play everything or something smooth, nothing.

Hardware is irrelevant when game is poorly optimized, nothing can be that.

5. IhatebeingAcop

IhatebeingAcop Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte RTX 2080
    Okay I guess I did a poor job articulating myself. LESS likely to have problems along with being cheaper. The reason it's less likely is bc of those things we usually get. What are they called? Oh that's right patches. I did mention that above right?

6. Andrew LB

Andrew LB Maha Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080@2,025
    Tegra SoC's are being manufactured on the 20nm generic process much like the chips for iPhone's and iPads because that node well suited for low power draw SoC's that are not very complex.

The upcoming nVidia graphics cards like Titan 2 are using TSMC's 16nm FinFet process which is entering volume production any day now. This process is geared toward highly complex designs that require high power like GPU's do. This process entered risk production in early 2014 and is just about ready for ramping up.

The confusion here is many people keep saying that 16nm FinFet wont be producing graphics chips till late 2015 or 2016, which is completely false. What happened is many people confuse the standard 16nm FinFet with an updated variant of the node called 16nm FinFet Plus (16FF+) that just entered risk production last month and wont be entering volume production till at least july. we wont be seeing any mass produced GPU's using that process till early Q4, 2015 at the earliest.

7. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black
    I hope we see them soon, current gpu scenario is nothing special..

Although Im more interested in new next-gen games next year, they better not disappoint, otherwise looks like Im not gonna bother with new gpus anymore.

8. Alpha Gammer

Alpha Gammer Guest

GPU:
    Galax 970 gtx Ex Oc
    so Maxwell 980 gtx 28nm = 2048 cores
    16 nm should just about double the core's count too 3000-4000 cores and say 300watt
    so really there could be many cut down versions, my 2 cents

9. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    Wouldn't surprise me. That's basically what they do all the time, more or less.

10. Solfaur

Solfaur Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 3080Ti Gaming OC
    It will 100% be the case, unless they get pressured by AMD with some amazing cards, there will be no point in going all out with the 16nm ones.