major GPU driver update "Catalyst Omega"

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by deathfrag, Dec 5, 2014.

1. The Mac

The Mac Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire R9-290 Vapor-X
    Brent over at [H], he said they have an article ready to go but cant publish it till the 9th.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2014
  2. ravaged

ravaged Guest

GPU:
    ASUS 2080 Super
    I used to always look for new omega drivers, even after he long since stopped updating them. ;-;

Damn, I used AMD GPUs for basically every rig I built up until I bought a 660ti.

3. millibyte

millibyte Maha Guru

GPU:
    Smoothbore125mm gun
    Nice looking drivers, I do hope we can VSR functioning on 7000 series gpus though. If gedosato can do it on any card, I'd be really suspicious if AMD doesn't implement it on all its range of GPUs.

4. caleb59

caleb59 Master Guru

GPU:
    KFA2 RTX 3070 8GB
    Yeah - they also long ago promised better Mantle support for HD 7xxx cards - just stop dreaming and realize that those cards are not supported anymore - AMD supports frequently only R9 series - HD 7xxx users may feel cheated by AMD in some way...

Last edited: Dec 6, 2014

5. Espionage724

Espionage724 Guest

Last I checked, my 7850 worked fine with Mantle; but in any case, this isn't really the place to discuss that...

6. DiceAir

DiceAir Maha Guru

GPU:
    Galax 980 ti HOF
    I just hope this is one amazing driver. I know you can only do so much but my crossfire hasn't been great.

7. DiceAir

DiceAir Maha Guru

GPU:
    Galax 980 ti HOF
    It's not like Nvidia cheated some people in some way before.

8. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    Yes I feel cheated, because I bought AMD card based on benchmarks and I considered that performance sufficient for price. Card did perform at that level.

And then evil AMD fixed those issues in drivers for HD7xxx, gave me huge performance boost.

Then they came with new features which were not promised at time card came to market. And those extras somewhat work.

*sarcasm on*
    But I am pretty sure they should have return 1/2 of money along the way.
    *sarcasm off*

9. theoneofgod

theoneofgod Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 580 8GB
    What's ironic here is you forgot to turn on sarcasm while being sarcastic :D

10. zer0_c0ol

zer0_c0ol Ancient Guru

GPU:
    FuryX cf
    hahaha

11. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    Not really, that one was obvious. I was afraid, that someone would be too distracted by 1st one and took last one seriously.

12. theoneofgod

theoneofgod Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 580 8GB
    It was all clearly sarcastic :)

13. theoneofgod

theoneofgod Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 580 8GB
    Last edited: Dec 8, 2014
  14. ravaged

ravaged Guest

GPU:
    ASUS 2080 Super
    don't you love how oc.net prints a bunch of marketing fluff as fact. the users will determine what boost if any and if it's the 'best driver yet'. get that **** outta here.

15. theoneofgod

theoneofgod Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 580 8GB
    To be honest, all I did was look at the pictures :D

16. IceVip

IceVip Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4090 Liquid X
    this

17. thatguy91

thatguy91 Guest

I think the main reason why VSR is restricted to the high end cards is because it's very demanding on performance. No point having the option on a R9-240 and not being able to use it.

Okay, so the below is for the GTX 980 and DSR, but you can use it as a guide because the principle behind VSR is similar to DSR:

http://www.gamersnexus.net/hwreview...980-game-fps-benchmark-review/Page-3?showall=

I highlighted in red an important thing to look at, and bolded the especially interesting point. It's not that it's meant more for those lower end games, it's just that the GTX 980 simply cannot DSR higher end games. Even though the graph doesn't look too bad, obviously the reviewer thought in the actual gameplay the games suffered too much for them to actually count as being worthwhile playable like that.

Interestingly enough, graphs like that can be a little deceiving. If you are using DSR, then you would be maxing out the other settings in the game too. It would be absolutely pointless not to. You can mislead people in the graphs by lowering some of the other graphics settings in the game, but ANYONE doing that so they can use DSR or VSR is a complete moronic idiot (no offence to the complete moronic idiots out there, because they are guaranteed to exist).

So, DSR is barely even usable on a GTX 980, and even that is debatable. What use does DSR have on lower end cards?

AMD most likely realises this and that's why it is only on those couple of cards listed. Sure, they could add support for other cards, but it may not be beneficial on them due to the performance hit. Also, it may require a lot more coding if the newer GCN provides a better means of doing it than the older GCN.

To sum it up, AMD are damned if they do, damned if they don't. If they don't provide it for other/lower end cards people complain they aren't supporting them, if they do support the other/lower end cards people will complain that the performance penalty is too high, and AMD should have known this, and not provided the feature on these cards ;).

Nvidia users, well, they're the ones on the lower cards that enable DSR and then cut back on the other graphical features in the game so the can use it ;).

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 8, 2014
  18. Espionage724

Espionage724 Guest

That's implying people use it with demanding games.

I wouldn't mind being able to use VSR with older titles, and even newer, less-demanding titles. I wouldn't expect to use it with something like BF4 though.

19. shadow_craft

shadow_craft Guest

GPU:
    ASUS StiX OC 1070
  20. thatguy91

thatguy91 Guest

Think of this :)

If this driver is official WHQL, which seemingly it would be, it probably means the driver is say, a month old. This may mean that there is already a superseding beta driver lurking somewhere in the development team. AMD have released a current beta driver around the same time as WHQL drivers in the past, wouldn't it be great if they release a beta driver alongside this one?

I doubt that it will happen, nevertheless it would be great if they did :).

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 8, 2014