NVIDIA Moving to TSMC 16nm FinFET process

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Dec 5, 2014.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    TSMC is ready to move to volume production of their 16nm FinFET process, Nvidia is joining them based on a recent report. This is interesting news for several reasons, included the one that is called ...

NVIDIA Moving to TSMC 16nm FinFET process

2. Spets

Spets Guest

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    I hope Skylake is available when we have the GPU's released on 16nm FinFET.

3. xIcarus

xIcarus Guest

GPU:
    RTX 4080 Gamerock
    Aaaand I just bought a 970. Haha crap.

4. laststop

laststop Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire Toxic 2GB 5870
    makes ya wonder why tsmc even wasted any resources on 20nm r and d when only a few products even use it might as well just focused totally on 16nm and got there a bit faster even.

5. Spets

Spets Guest

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    By the looks of it you have plenty of time :p

It's on schedule at the moment for Q3/4, I'm just hoping it's more Q3 than Q4
    [​IMG]
    http://www.extremetech.com/computin...pdate-4g-tablets-skylake-on-track-for-h2-2015

6. (.)(.)

(.)(.) Banned

GPU:
    GTX 970
    I dont know why, but Skylake is calling out to me. Seems like a logical upgrade from my 2600k for some reason.

7. xIcarus

xIcarus Guest

GPU:
    RTX 4080 Gamerock
    Yeah I guess you're right. The old 560 wasn't cutting it anymore.

I second that.

8. thatguy91

thatguy91 Guest

Skylake is reportedly about 3 percent faster than Broadwell. The first locked Skylake CPU's will be released alongside the unlocked Broadwell CPU's, so that suggests the performance differential. Unlocked Skylake may not eventuate, they may try to push people who overclock on to the -E platform. No competition! However, if the AMD post excavator CPU is decent, especially if it's VISC based, Intel will quickly lift their game.

Wonder what process AMD will use next.

9. laststop

laststop Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire Toxic 2GB 5870
    meh i doubt even skylake will be that big of an upgrade from sandy bridge. Even from the gulftown cpu i have it wont be that big a deal. Unless you are doing time critical heavy duty stuff with your pc there is no reason to upgrade unless you are on core 2 duo/core 2 quad still.

It would be nice if intel actually upgraded their performance for real not these BS at max 10-15% upgrades and thats being generous usually performance gain is much less then that even. What happened to the 50-100% gains?

Last edited: Dec 5, 2014
  10. laststop

laststop Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire Toxic 2GB 5870
    I wouldn't mind if they locked out all overclocking on the mainstream chipset. I only build on enthusiast platform anyways

11. Spets

Spets Guest

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    They haven't had competition for a long time and they still brought out their products. I don't see it being any different.

Same here, I just want it to be ready when the new GPU's are though so I can make a killer rig :banana:

Last edited: Dec 5, 2014
  12. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    I wonder how this 16nm iteration will change the performance of gpus, or if nvidia uses it for it's mobile devise chips (have they closed that down or do I recall it wrong?). Because, even if amd switches to 20nm before nvidia does, they'd still have to go until they get to 16nm after the 390x, for instance.

13. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    I see a lot of people using numbers 28/20/16/14. But not many of those who use them know what those are and type of devices are they meant for.
    Nor they know what is limitation of each specific node and its variations.

14. kenoh

kenoh Active Member

GPU:
    TitanXP 2.1GHz
    16nm FinFET is actually an enhanced 20nm

15. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    The same is true with 14nm FinFET but they still decrease leakage and lower power consumption. The only downside is that performance won't increase much from it -- but that really hasn't been happening directly from die shrinks much anyway.

16. flashmozzg

flashmozzg Member Guru

GPU:
    R9 290 4GB @ 947/1250
    Could be jsut Tegra SoCs

17. Solfaur

Solfaur Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 3080Ti Gaming OC
    I bought 2x 1 month ago and I don't regret it one bit, the best bang for your buck price/performance cards I had in years.

At the same time I'm looking forward to the 16nm cards, and hope they will land in hard, already dreaming at a MSI Lightning 16nm flagship beast. :nerd:

18. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    im sure my next gpu will probably be on the next nm size down seeing how long i wait between gpus, impressive none the less

19. laststop

laststop Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire Toxic 2GB 5870
    if I still had a 1920x1080 monitor I would wait for the next shrink unfortunately at 2560x1600 a 5870 just doesn't cut it plus the card is acting weird and i think its gonna die soon. I'm barely able to hold on for 390x vs gm200 to see what I am going to upgrade to. Whichever card wins the performance/energy use + heat ratio will be my next card price is disregarded. Zero brand loyalty here.

20. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black
    all this nm talk is nothing, bring then 16nm/20nm gpus already.. :p

Power consumption is overrated, I personally buy gpu for performance not to save power.. Unless it runs hot, but then there are custom coolers. Maxwell turned out not so power friendly, but all praise it like GK104 (mostly diehard nv fans), useless.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2014