Elite: Dangerous

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by JonasBeckman, Nov 6, 2012.

1. Anarion

Anarion Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce RTX 3060 Ti
    Feature wise, content wise.

2. Bond!JamesBond!

Bond!JamesBond! Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080
    I know the mission board will get updated from time to time.
    i would like to see some rescue type missions.
    the developers said this is just the beginning.

Last edited: Dec 2, 2014
  3. Bond!JamesBond!

Bond!JamesBond! Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080
    [​IMG]

Took my Cobra to the paint shop..

4. Grimbarian

Grimbarian Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3070 Ti
    Hope you didn't pay any money for that...

5. Bond!JamesBond!

Bond!JamesBond! Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080
    no they had the cobra paint pack free last week.

6. Grimbarian

Grimbarian Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3070 Ti
    Aha I see, that's good then, it's abhorrent IMO to charge money for such trivial things, completely tacky behaviour on their part, Oblivion's horse armour DLC rightly received huge bad press and negative opinion and this is easily as bad, not to mention every one I've seen so far looks ugly! The sooner we see modders releasing quality works the better!

7. h4rm0ny

h4rm0ny Guest

GPU:
    R9 285 / 2GB
    well not really news on ED but they've just lost one more player - me. joined the ED forums to ask my questions, as someone here suggested. such a barrage of obnoxious, elitist knee-jerk defenders i've rarely seen.

someone started a thread over there asking for mission timers to pause when you log off. highlighted responses include:
    * you should warn your loved ones you're about to play a game and it's your fault if you haven't
    * you need to accept responsibility in your life and quit whining if there are consequences to you not paying attention to something
    * it's impossible for Frontier to do this - stop being so entitled
    * don't start a game if it's near your bedtime
    * there was a poll on this forum and 53% said they were okay with the timer running whilst logged off so you're wrong
    * and winner of the Destined To Be Single Forever award: tell your girlfriend to be grateful you're not boozing in a bar being chatted up by hot temptresses.

all pretty much verbatim, but was accompanied with extra servings of disdain that i couldn't be bothered reproducing here. thread is representative of most of the ones i saw or participated in over there.

they should rename the game "Elitist". given the massive lack of content in the game right now, its major unwillingness to accept the needs of a large part of the gamer community (not just the above - many things) and a highly uncertain business model (no subscriptions means eternally trying to push extra sales for things onto people and no offline means if too many people are happy with the game as is, their costs are rapidly going to exceed their revenue and they'll have to backtrack on subscriptions or collapse and no-one will be able to play it anymore), combined with a bitter and defensive community right now, i'm done with it.

i get the impression from those forums and the daily "rage quits" as the loyalists are calling them, i'm far from alone.

8. mR Yellow

mR Yellow Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire R9 Fury
    Very rude from them.

9. h4rm0ny

h4rm0ny Guest

GPU:
    R9 285 / 2GB
    Meh, I'm thin-skinned probably. But anyway, the attitude is enough to tip the balance for me. There's a long list of things that were planned for ED which aren't materializing. That can be okay - the game still looks really good as a spaceflight game. Really good.

But I think it will hurt the uptake of the game and a lot of the things they planned can't be introduced later if it's a persistent universe. Drive degradation and related ideas to make exploring more interesting, pirate bases being hidden things that you need to build up pirate reputation to get their locations and quite a few other things. You can't suddenly change the exploration rules and leave people stranded far from the nearest supply base, you can't suddenly make a lot of public locations secret. And so forth.

Other things can be introduce fine - letting friends jump together so they can actually meet up in the game for example. But I think it will be a problem for many at the start. I honestly think they should take the hit (if they're able to - I don't know their financials) and put the whole thing back five months so they can release with a much more solid game.

But it's easy to criticise. We'll see how it goes.

10. Bond!JamesBond!

Bond!JamesBond! Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080
    Your not playing the game because of dummy's on the forums?
    Why are you done?
    I don't get it.

11. h4rm0ny

h4rm0ny Guest

GPU:
    R9 285 / 2GB
    There are quite a few reasons the game is problematic for me, lack of content is one, I'm extremely suspicious of a business model that sells an online game with no subscription fee and the lack of offline / single-player is causing lots of subtle problems for many of us (like the mentioned way you can never truly pause the game). The sheer foaming hostility I encountered in the community just wearied me enough to tip me over the edge - there's a real strong attitude of don't like it, move on. (in fact, I've seen countless polite posts greeted with exactly that). It just removed faith that these things will be addressed and it's clearly driving people away which isn't good for the game.

Just my decision, not saying anyone else needs to. And in fact, I hope they don't - the game needs all the support it can get in terms of players. But it's not fun for me to participate in that right now. I was just expressing my disappointment really, no big deal.

12. mR Yellow

mR Yellow Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire R9 Fury
    Well, i bought the game. Looks solid.

13. ScoobyDooby

ScoobyDooby Guest

GPU:
    1080Ti & Acer X34
    Looks can be deceiving.

The more that I've learned about the game and the state of the game, the less impressed I am.

I still will play the game, but I forsee quite a few problems with this game.
    I'm talking exploits, which could lead to further 'wipes'
    A universe that is fairly empty
    A multiplayer system that is not even a real system.
    Pretty repetitive mission system
    Mining that is overall pretty pointless and above all boring.

Not to mention bugs and other issues.

I hate to sound like a doomsayer, but this game is still a ways off from being close to complete.. They have a looooong way to go for it to be releasing in just over a week from now.

14. KissSh0t

KissSh0t Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 3060 OC 12GB
    From what I understand development does not stop when the game releases.

I have not played previous Elite games, or even Elite Dangerous yet.. but I must say from what I have seen, and what I have read.. it looks to be a Fantastic game.

That is of course just my opinion, and I do release others have different ideas and take away different experiences from playing games.

What a boring world we would live in if we were all shared the same opinion and thought the same way.

15. Scerate

Scerate Guest

GPU:
    2080@2.1/1070N@2.0
    did you buy it today? I bought it on 1.Dec and still havn't got my key yet, still "Processing Order" :puke2:

16. ScoobyDooby

ScoobyDooby Guest

GPU:
    1080Ti & Acer X34
    Exactly.. it looks great.. this is what pulled me in as well.

Its not before long that you realize certain critical shortcomings.. but anyway, I'll quit my rambling and raining on your parade.

17. Red River

Red River Guest

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 6, 2014
  18. KissSh0t

KissSh0t Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 3060 OC 12GB

Last edited: Dec 11, 2014
  19. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000