Seagate Technology Launches 6TB HDD

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Dec 3, 2014.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    With enterprise reliability and NAS optimized performance in up to 16-bays, the Enterprise NAS drive is available in capacities up to an industry-leading 6TB, and is designed to perform at high levels...

Seagate Technology Launches 6TB HDD

2. Noisiv

Noisiv Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2070 Super
    How's this for reliability

2x 120 GB Seagate ST3120026AS, Power-On Hours > 80,000
    I bought them around 2000., and ran them pretty much 24/7.

Their manual reads:

Mean time between failures (power-on hours): 600,000
    Service life: 5 years

Quick calculation:
    (600,000 - 80,000)/80,000 x 14(disks age) = 91 years left in them :banana: :banana:

3. Speed Weed

Speed Weed Guest

GPU:
    GTX 260+
    Anyone else still remember when a 100Mb hard Drive was considered large enough for anyone's needs?
    But that was back in the days of elegant coding, when every byte counted, and no storage space wasted.
    Read on one of the other threads a couple of days ago that some coders are putting games within games.
    Mind you, back then a 100Mb HD did cost as much as a 3Tb HD does today, and so I'm not going to grumble at all.

4. Noisiv

Noisiv Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2070 Super
    ^^ In the words of my professor:

Every fool is using double precision nowadays /shakes head

5. rl66

rl66 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire RX 6700 XT
    i remember when 40Mb was a huge volume :) i was student and had a 286 card in my Amiga 2000 (btw what a great computer).

when i look at my 6To nas that is too small right now...

Wow i feel old now lol

6. waltc3

waltc3 Maha Guru

GPU:
    AMD 50th Ann 5700XT
    My very first HD was a Great Valley Products(TM) 40MB scsi in an Amiga 2000...that set me back a cool 500 clams...!...;) Along with everything else, how times have changed! (Yes, the Amiga was fabulous in its day...easily a decade ahead of single-tasking monochrome Macs and 4-color CGA PCs with beeps for sound..!)

7. waltc3

waltc3 Maha Guru

GPU:
    AMD 50th Ann 5700XT
    Well, you have to also consider how small the average program size was at the time...not necessarily because it was coded in assembly, either. Back then programs could only access by-comparison tiny amounts of ram, and they simply did not require much space at all...I remember well one particular quote from an EA developer at the time (long before EA turned into what it is now...50% populated with nitwits...), he said he could not imagine developing a program large enough to fit on a single 1.44MB floppy disk...!...;)

All things are relative...games today, for instance, ship with GB's of textures which are loaded onto gpus with GB's of on-board, local ram...;) Resolutions are far higher, etc. & etc.

Back then (as well as today), nothing stressed your hardware--allowed you to push its limits--like game software. It's the one thing that allows us to "get our money's worth" with the hardware we buy--Internet browsers and word processors certainly don't...Today, too, the software market is exponentially bigger and there are far, far more programs that people can choose from than existed in, say, 1987, or 1992, etc. And now people have the room to install and run them; whereas back then they didn't.

Yea, sure, some of it is inefficiency, bloat, and waste--but a lot of that is strictly in the eye of the beholder. No way would I trade the power and capability I have today for the so-called "efficiency" of yesteryear...but that's just me...;)

8. leefuji

leefuji Member

GPU:
    GTS 450
    Last edited: Dec 4, 2014
  9. ManofGod

ManofGod Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire R9 Fury Nitro
    I want my Amiga 500 with side expansion, 4MB of ram and 40MB SCSI hard drive again. :D I loved that computer the most of any I have ever owned.