GTX 970 Owners Thread

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by ScoobyDooby, Sep 19, 2014.

Tags:
  1. nanogenesis

nanogenesis Guest

GPU:
    MSI R9 390X 1178|6350
    So I was wondering, the G1 Gaming, and several other 970s have a few Memory ICs on the back. How in the hell are these cooled? I don't believe passive is enough. The G1's backplate has no thermal pads to make contact with the backplate (quite stupid imo on gigabyte's part).

Even the cheapest Zotac 970 has a proper cooler where the thermal pads make contact with the heatsink and all memory ICs are on 1 side.

2. slickric21

slickric21 Guest

GPU:
    eVGA 1080ti SC / Gsync
    Agree completely.

I bought some copper ram sinks to go on my MSI 4G. On this card 5 out of 8 have no cooling at all !!!
    4 on the back, and 1 between the GPU and the PCI-E

Here is what i did, (note that the 1 between GPU and PCI-E is only accessible because I have the Accelero cooler on it. The heat pipes of the MSI Frozr would normally prevent that)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. Ragingun

Ragingun Guest

GPU:
    295x2
    After going the X99 platform like you've got, here's my score:

http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/4882308?

I only pushed my CPU to 4.4ghz since it's 2 hours old lol! My goal is to break 20k with my 970's and to break 12k with a single card.

4. balthier

balthier Active Member

GPU:
    Gigabyte 2070 RTX
    -Upgrading from burned 570GTX to G1 :banana:
    -Choose besause i waited for maxwell card and needed a replacement for my dead gb 570GTX :( The G1 seems to me the best overclocker with best cooling and it looks so cool :)
    -rev 1.1. bios 84.04.28.00.4C with fan mod
    -core 1566
    -mem 7600
    -stable OC with stock voltage :)
    -no coil whine :banana:
    http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/4883990

5. CK the Greek

CK the Greek Maha Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2060S
    Good man,however about coil whine...I think all 9xx gpus have this,play some games muted or try Valley bench and hear it..mine G1 rev1.1 has it from 400-500 fps and more(not so much though,not an issue due to H110s' fans and case ones too :))

6. Radical_53

Radical_53 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3
    All cards have had coil whine since ages. The first one I remember quite graphically was the 8800GTX during Crysis benchmarks.
    It's a little louder here and there but none of them will be perfectly quiet.

PS: My card's whine is more quiet than my monitor's backlight whine, so... guess I'm happy with the "noise" :D

7. balthier

balthier Active Member

GPU:
    Gigabyte 2070 RTX
    You are right but it needs a loot of frames around 2000 to hear it.I cant hear it in firestrike or other benches and games.Barely in some game menus when turning of vsync.Maybe it wil come with the time like the dead 570gtx.Got with the time louder and louder.

8. Simon719

Simon719 Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX970 gaming x2

Nice score :)

9. CK the Greek

CK the Greek Maha Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2060S
    One question to all Gigabyte G1 owners..my new G1 came with a stock boost clock at 1418 Mhz and I saw that most same cards come with a stock boost clock around 1329..right? So is this good,ok,or *bad-for-something* ?
    I haven't try oc yet because TBH I find no reason,at least yet.

Here some screens just to check the numbers:

http://i.imgur.com/oS2vACo.png

http://i.imgur.com/adpqDRl.png

Check this "est.MAX"..what is this?

[​IMG]

EDIT: ok..found the "reason", GPU Boost 2.0 feature from Nvidia. Coming from 460s haven't read about it at all..:nerd:

Last edited: Dec 1, 2014
  10. Icanium

Icanium Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 4090TUF
    I've read other members report their cards coil whine diminished over time, and some owners have said burning in their card reduced its whine.

11. Ragingun

Ragingun Guest

GPU:
    295x2
    Thanks! How ya liking your new platform?

12. Simon719

Simon719 Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX970 gaming x2
    Well so far is all working well after the initial bugs are removed through bios upgrades, do you have the different voltages in sli problem? It's my limiting factor on reaching 20k I feel?

13. Ragingun

Ragingun Guest

GPU:
    295x2
    I don't think so. Now I will have to check that. We do have different MB's though so maybe that's why. I took a really good look at the MSI board but since my 6600GT card I haven't had luck with them, not that they are bad.

I will be doing some playing around with settings in the bios since I haven't done much yet. In fact the 4.4ghz OC was just a profile in the bios I used.

14. Simon719

Simon719 Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX970 gaming x2
    Yeah must admit that I have had loads of Asus boards with no problems, this is my first MSI one, seems ok apart from one card always volting lower then the other in SLI?

not sure its a board or card problem, can you check your voltages next time you run a benchmark please? :)

15. wtbarms

wtbarms Member Guru

GPU:
    3080 fe
    New [mid-2000's retro looking with super ugly stickers :D] cards came in. Was able to pick them up for less than the price I sold one 780 6GB for.

[​IMG]

16. wtbarms

wtbarms Member Guru

GPU:
    3080 fe
    Tested them out with DAI and I was hitting 80C on the top after a minute or two without the side of the case on. Putting the side back on dropped it down to 70 even after 45 minutes. ^^

17. redrumy3

redrumy3 Master Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 3090 FE
    Giving my sister my GTX 770 4GB and going to microcenter in a bit to pick up a 970 gtx ^_^ gonna grab gigabyte or evga I guess

18. moparbjt

moparbjt Guest

GPU:
    Evga Ref-GTX980 in SLI
    Hi Simon
    Just thought I let you know that my Sli Volts Are 1.26 top card and 1.200 on bottom Card. I even switch them around and no difference But that's only in benchmarking in gaming they seem to be even . I'm Running ASUS X79 Deluxe M/B Hope this helps Regards

19. Ragingun

Ragingun Guest

GPU:
    295x2
    I did check and it looks similar to the above post. My voltage is off by .01 from on card to the next. I'm not sure how much yours is off but I can't imagine that .01 is going to cause that much of an issue.

20. Simon719

Simon719 Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX970 gaming x2
    thanks for checking, mine are not off by much, but can be between 0.03-0.06. not sure whether that would effect it much but would be nice if they both ran at their max for benchmarks at least ;)

one would assume the are meant to run at same speed, a driver or bios problem maybe?