Far Cry 4 AMD tweaks?

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by mtdew332, Nov 26, 2014.

1. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    Yea it is

2. jamek

jamek Guest

GPU:
    R9 270x Gaming
    Were is your R9295x2? :)

3. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    Sold to the highest bidder

4. papeles

papeles New Member

GPU:
    HD 280x (for now)
    I'm running a 280x + 4670k at 4.4 and i get 60fps 90% of the time with:

All in ultra
    Motion blur: off (hate it)
    I can't use HBAO+ (gotta use any of the other ones)
    I can't use Enhanced Godrays (those are nvidia godrays)

The 2 above take 10 fps++ for me. I also play with vsync on because the screen tearing is fcking anoying!

A thing that you could test is turning on/off HPET. You can google it and you will see mixed results. It sometimes improves fps, removes the stutter but other times it makes it worse. Give it a try.

Hope it helps

5. crz

crz Guest

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 1070 ARMOR 8G
    It's the 10% of the time that bothers us. This game has stuttering issues as in very big differences in frame render times. Yes, you might increase the average FPS by 10 but the stuttering remains. I only managed to reduce it slightly but not eliminate it.

I have read the UBI forums and most people complaining have various GeForce cards so it is not just AMD. This is worse than Far Cry 3/Watch Dogs, at least Watch Dogs was playable once the texture quality was reduced. Back to Dragon Age: Inquisition for now...

LE

Gave one more try with Hyperthreading Off, HPET Off, C3/C6 states off. Still stutters.

See the picture below, despite 60 FPS with VSync on or 75+ FPS with VSync off there are frames that are rendered in 200 ms, 100 ms with VSync off or 90, 80, 70 ms with VSync on.
    [​IMG]

Bigger picture with references:
    [​IMG]
    Here a 51 FPS dip is shown on the framerate graph but a 91 ms spike occurs in the frame render time graph.

Last edited: Nov 28, 2014
  6. papeles

papeles New Member

GPU:
    HD 280x (for now)
    I don't understand... i dont have those problems :S

The game is very playable for me, and i'm kinda anoyed the most with stuff like stuttering and screen tearing. I can get used to 40's fps IF it's constant; if the game is good i get used to it and just play.

I hope they solve that soon then, but i'm guessing that it has to do with more then just game/drivers, since it happens with both amd and nvidia.

7. zer0_c0ol

zer0_c0ol Ancient Guru

GPU:
    FuryX cf
    well aside from crossfire not working the game runs smooth, but again this is ubi so it stutters on nvidia tech also

8. theoneofgod

theoneofgod Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 580 8GB
    For those that say there's no stutter, please can you screen record playing the game with something like MSI Afterburner with FPS and frame time etc displayed? Fighting/running/driving scenes would be great.

9. crz

crz Guest

GPU:
    Pretty contradictory.

Yeah, everybody that claims that it runs smooth: do as I did in the previous post, log both the frame rate and the frametimes while playing with MSI Afterburner and post a screenshot of the graphs, I am just as curious to see how "smooth" the game is for you. If you do get frametime spikes please hover the cursor over them to highlight the time in ms so we can see how big they are. Driving a car along a road for 30-60 seconds should be enough.

10. Traace

Traace Guest

GPU:
    AMD R9 280 3GB
    No problems at all. Expect shutters when u drive fast etc. But this is a problem from Ubisoft and they will never patch it. Same engine as WatchDogs...

Running Ultra @FullHd on AsusR9 280 TOP.

11. INSTG8R

INSTG8R Guest

GPU:
    Nitro+ 5700XT
    NOT the same engine...

12. theoneofgod

theoneofgod Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 580 8GB
    Stuttering when driving is not really "no problems at all" is it? The game stutters and is not the same engine as Watch Dogs, but Far Cry 3, which had the exact same issues.

A game running good for you may not be good for someone else. That's why we want proof of the game running fantastic.

It's so easy to test for stutter. First village you start in, grab a quad bike, go down the hill and turn right and it's a crazy stutter fest. If you can drive stutter free I want videos! :)

13. crz

crz Guest

GPU:
    Have you looked at the picture I posted previously?! I can get a constant 60 fps with VSync on and still have stutter. Stutter is not the same thing as average FPS. The FPS that you see is just that, an average. Stuttering is the deviation from that average. Sure, the graph looks nice and shows an average of 51 fps, but the drop is there. When a spike hits a frame is rendered in 70-80-90 ms, that's an equivalent of dropping from 60 fps to 14-13-12 fps for a moment. No way you can not notice such a big drop. With VSync off I have seen frames rendered in almost 200 ms. That's the equivalent of 5 fps for a moment.

Between this stutter when moving around and the way mouse control is implemented the firefights are very frustrating.

14. zer0_c0ol

zer0_c0ol Ancient Guru

GPU:
    FuryX cf
    um no it is not. The game run smooth on one gpu, and nvidia users on ubisodft forum are reporting major stuttering. my nvidia tech statement was aimed to amd users on this topic that they are not alone when it comes to ubisoft poor optimization

15. theoneofgod

theoneofgod Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 580 8GB
    The game doesn't run smooth on 1 GPU.

16. N3MBOT

N3MBOT Member Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte R9 280xoc
  17. theoneofgod

theoneofgod Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 580 8GB
  18. elpsychodiablo

elpsychodiablo Master Guru

GPU:
    Retina Z2 + Vlab Motion
    Never buy Ubisoft games if you have a AMD GPU, donĀ“t honor their work for optimize nvidia and **** over amd.

19. xxela

xxela Master Guru

GPU:
    RX6800 XT Red Devil
    Ha Ha, that is the least demanding part of the game. Nobody have problems on those missions. There I have 80-110 fps with everything max out. Make one in Kirat, first village and take the quad bike to a ride :) Anyway the game doesn't play that bad like some people say. There is some annoying random fps drops but nothing game breaking.
    P.S. Nice gamplay.

20. xermit

xermit Member

GPU:
    ASUS GTX 980ti @ 1470
    In my opinion, that's not AMD's problem, that's Ubisoft's. Also, it is an open world game. All of them may have stuttering from time to time (preloading new areas, npcs, etc.). I recently changed my GTX 770 to a 290x and now i see MUCH less stutter, it's hardly noticable now, and for me, the game is pretty comfortable now. Sorry for bad english.