AMD’s Radeon R9 390X ES Performance Numbers Leaked - Faster than Geforce 980

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Rich_Guy, Nov 26, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    What you quoted was a direct response to the claim that NVidia cards always overclock better than AMD cards, which is a flat out lie. The rest of your post has nothing to do with what you quoted.

2. Veteran

Veteran Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2xTitan XM@1590Mhz-CH20
    Like I've said in other posts I blame amd for alot of things. If there were to up there game and make some gpus that actually beat nvidia while charging a reasonable price things would change. NVIDIA would be forced to release there tech at a competitive price instead of holding onto it, releasing it to counter amds shoddy counter and then charging a high price for it.

3. stevevnicks

stevevnicks Guest

GPU:
    Don't need one
    im sure it would make no sense for AMD to release there new latest high end GFX cards and make them less powerful than the current range of GFX cards thats on the market at the moment, so it will be no surprise to me, and this is not a new idea by any standards that I can think of? its just what happens all the time, new worlds fastest gfx card comes out 6 months 1 year later they forgot about because the newer worlds fastest gfx card is released and so the process continues.

4. zer0_c0ol

zer0_c0ol Ancient Guru

GPU:
    FuryX cf
    i am blown away with the level of misinformation and pure stupidity in this post.

5. HunnoPT

HunnoPT Guest

GPU:
    Tri-X OC 290 CF 4GB+4GB
    OMG!!!! :stewpid:

AMD founded in 1969 / Revenue $5.30 billion (2013)
    Microprocessors
    Motherboard chipsets
    Graphics processing units
    Random-access memory
    TV tuner cards

Nvidia founded in 1993 / Revenue US$ 4.13 billion (2013)
    Graphics processing units
    Chipsets Video Game Handhelds

Now lets see the guru3d last 2 benchs:

Dragon age Ultra HD 3840x2160 2xSMAA

GTX 980 20 FPS = 550 $

R9 290X 21 FPS = 349 $

Call of Duty Advanced Warfare Ultra HD 3840x2160 2xSMAA

GTX 980 57 FPS = 550 $

R9 290X 55 FPS = 349 $

I rest my case..:banana:

Last edited: Nov 28, 2014
  6. ---TK---

---TK--- Guest

GPU:
    2x 980Ti Gaming 1430/7296
    Wow so 20fps is unplayable but 21 is?

7. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    Oh, my 980 will be so spanked at 4k by a new card. It barely beats 290X today. :D

8. Ryu5uzaku

Ryu5uzaku Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6800 XT
    Hmmh no one said unplayable so that is odd claim :D I think he meant to show the difference is not that huge, well in 4K gaming at least. It is bigger in lower resolutions of course in favor of 980.

9. ---TK---

---TK--- Guest

GPU:
    When you look at gm204 and you got gm200 big daddy Maxwell waiting in the wings, it is pretty remarkable what they can do at very high resolutions with the memory bandwidth of a 770. My guess is big daddy maxwell will be 40% faster than a 980. Thats the Maxwells I am waiting for.

10. Fender178

Fender178 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070 | GTX 1060
    The difference in FPS is 1-2fps which isn't that much. 2nd of all 20fps is hardly playable. 3rd of all the only difference is in price plus the 980 runs cooler and uses less wattage than the r9 290x.

11. HunnoPT

HunnoPT Guest

GPU:
    Tri-X OC 290 CF 4GB+4GB
    No sir it isnt, and i didnt say it did i?

That was to prove a point that Nvidia sure isnt better then AMD for the same price as the qouted guy said. And hell for sure it isnt AMD fault that Nvidia practices ridiculous prices, and i didnt even touch the Titan word ...

Dragon age 2560x1440 2xMSAA (2K)

R9 290X 37 FPS = 349 $

GTX TITAN 31 FPS = 2549 $

12. ---TK---

---TK--- Guest

GPU:
    You sure got raped with the titan pricing no wonder you hate nvidia.

13. HunnoPT

HunnoPT Guest

GPU:
    Tri-X OC 290 CF 4GB+4GB
    :stewpid:??????

1st: WHAT!?
    2nd: I dont hate Nvidia
    3rd : I hate fan boys , either Nvidia or AMD sides

I had both company cards in my life ex:

Nvidia FX 5200
    ATI 9250 SE
    ATI 9250 PRO
    Nvidia 9800GT
    Nvidia 260
    Nvidia 560TI
    AMD 6850
    AMD R9 270X
    Nvidia 760
    AMD R9 290

The next change i want to do is trade my 290 for a GTX 970 because i believe its the best card out there for the price/performance/wattage

So your point is :puke2:

14. ---TK---

---TK--- Guest

GPU:
    I'm pretty sure there was no nvidia 270. There was a 275 and 295. I do not see a point in upgrading to a 970 it is a minor upgrade. I had a 9800pro back in the day so I have owned both brands as well.

15. HunnoPT

HunnoPT Guest

GPU:
    Tri-X OC 290 CF 4GB+4GB
    You are right it wasnt a 270 was a 260 448-bit, typo error my bad :)

Well its about the same price range, and ill try getting it as a 2nd owner and maybe throw 20-30$ to buy it, its not much for the 2-3fps+ but because its much cooler and uses much less watts as some guy said. R9 290 was the best price/performance card but gtx 970 is the best now for sure.

Besides i have being on AMD cards for a while now, need to change and im also excited about what the new Nvidia techs look like :banana:

Multi-Frame sampled Anti-Aliasing (MFAA)
    Voxel Global Illumination (VXGI)
    Dynamic Super Resolution (DSR)

16. Veteran

Veteran Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2xTitan XM@1590Mhz-CH20
    How dare you! I am a nvidia fanboy through and through! Do you want to step outside?:D

17. Deathchild

Deathchild Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    How is the 980 outperforming a duo of 7970s... ? :D

18. Reddoguk

Reddoguk Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX3090 GB GamingOC
    I've never owned an AMD/ATI gfx card. I often wonder what would some of my favourite games look like with a Red team card.

Borderlands for example. People with AMD cards miss out on so much in this game.

When you freeze something and then shatter it into thousands of pieces in a low gravity environment then that's how the game is meant to look. AMD users miss out on part of the game.

So Nvidia comes with slightly more options to play with, granted only a hand full of games use the tech but it still makes a difference in those games to me.

It probably adds to the price as well since Nvidia forked out 150m for AGEIA Technologies.

If i had an AMD card and was playing a PhysX enabled game then i'm sure i would be slightly gutted because i'd know i'm not using all of the games features.

Same goes for all the different tech, like MFAA, DSR, VXGI and some DX12 features. If you don't have these new techs then np you can still play the games but always in the back of my mind i'd want all the newer stuff.

19. Lane

Lane Guest

GPU:
    2x HD7970 - EK Waterblock
    let see:

- DSR is really new on Nvidia driver, but this is just Downsampling, the interessant thing is you dont need anymore use SweetFX or other thirdparties software for have downsampling.. ( this said, it is a bit redundant if you use other technic from thoses thirdparty softwares for increase quality of the shadow, light, color, shaders etc )

Im pretty sure it willl be on Catalyst really soon. ( 2 months before Nvidia release the 900series, some post on AMD twitters was allready speaking about downsampling by drivers )

- MFAA... actually it can be pretty good if you want to have low performance hit, but reviews and test i have seen complain about the extra shimmering it introduce, and its hard to see the difference between 2xMSAA and 2xMFAA

In addition it is called Temporal ATI AA and was a technic introduced by ATI years and years ago. The good thing, is it have less hits than the years old AMD/ATI temporal MSAA... Still nothing to be pretty excited about it.

- VXGI is not a proprietary technic from Nvidia and it is yet not used.. In reality, if you look the performance hit.. you can forget to see it before some years in games. Voxel lighting technic are coming from professional 3D softwares. Maxwell is a new architecture, im pretty sure if Nvidia have include specific hardware for it, this mean AMD have too this for his next architecture ( dont forget Nvidia have allready release their new series, not AMD ).

- DX12: There will never been any specific features for Nvidia ..AMD is closely working on DX12 implementation who will be a lot derivated from Mantle. ( Same as OpenGL Next )

20. WhiteLightning

WhiteLightning Don Illuminati Staff Member

GPU:
    Inno3d RTX4070
    That would be great. the last thing i read about it was that it wasnt gonna happen. would be great if they changed their minds on that.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.