High-end Intel CPUs more expensive in EU due to strong dollar

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Nov 25, 2014.

1. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asrock 7700XT
    Don't forget - reviews of AMD GPUs are largely based on the stock cooler, which was so bad the GPUs had to down-throttle. On top of that, AMD/ATI is notorious for having crappy first-day-release drivers, but gradually improve pretty significantly (although, so do nvidia's). AMD's prices also drop sooner and by a greater % than nvidia. Buying one of their GPUs several months after release date is usually a good/better move than getting them at release date.

2. skugpezz

skugpezz Member Guru

GPU:
    R9 Fury X Stock
    The gov should do something about it.

3. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    Oh they do. They earn more taxes if stuff is more expensive :D

4. icedman

icedman Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI MECH RX 6750XT
    Here in canada after converting currency they always add 10$ on top minimum just because they can.

5. ---TK---

---TK--- Guest

GPU:
    2x 980Ti Gaming 1430/7296
    970s are dirt cheap in the USA. Easily the best price performance tdp king. I could buy 2 970 for the price of 1 780 ti near a year ago.

6. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asrock 7700XT
    Still roughly $100 more expensive than the R9 290 I bought, comes with 3 less games for free, lower memory bus, and on average performs roughly the same as the R9 290. For nvidia, the price point is decent, but it didn't quite make sense. The 780 Ti, and especially the Titans, were all heavily overpriced.

Keep in mind, I got my R9 290 for roughly $250, and even that was a little bit out of my budget.

7. ---TK---

---TK--- Guest

GPU:
    2x 980Ti Gaming 1430/7296
    Yeah well those amd cards a kind of old and the only way for amd to compete is undercutting the competion on price. Wouldn't be surprised if they were losing money on every sale.

8. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    Well I don't think that AMD loses money on the current 290/290X sales, but there's little true gain I guess. With the 970, I guess NV actually tried to do just that, lower their own win margin to battle AMDs market share of cards around the 300 to 400$, and imho, they did a pretty good job there. I'm curious to see how the market behaves once the next AMD gpus are out, because I don't think they can lower prices on the 290s any more and I expect them to stay at the current low price.

9. Black_ice_Spain

Black_ice_Spain Guest

GPU:
    5700XT
    in spain they are still 340€ or similar.

Luckily I could get one from USA for 290€ (including bank crap and such...), but cheapest one there was 270€, here it's 330....

where? was it a special offer?