Ubisoft Taunts Software pirates with missing FOV control in Far Cry 4

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Nov 21, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. evasiondutch

evasiondutch Guest

GPU:
    2x-MSI gaming 290x 4gb OC
    They please remove Uplay EA Origin and STEAM and all EVIL DRM systems and yes that includes STEAM as well.

And follow the model of GOG.COM 100% DRM FREE games.

Anybody who pirate there games are more evil then Ubisoft and EA.

2. cpy

cpy Banned

GPU:
    On chip 1MB
    Back in my day when we pirated games, we shut the **** up and were happy with game whether it worked or not. Pirate game and complain? What is this? Do they know no shame?

3. h4rm0ny

h4rm0ny Guest

GPU:
    R9 285 / 2GB
    I believe the term for it is "entitlement culture".

And I agree with you, btw.

4. samusprime89

samusprime89 Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 970
    they are joking right?...... did they forget the pirates can still get game updates, lol this story makes no sense, hop on over to kickass torrents and voila theres the newest update that adds a FOV slider.

5. Fender178

Fender178 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070 | GTX 1060
    Not all pirates are bad. Back when DRM and anti-piracy methods prevented legit users from playing the game they bought because of their hardware and software such as having Daemon tools installed or another Virtual optical drive program or having 2 optical drives in your computer. Getting a crack for your legit copy of the game or pirating the game was the only legit users could play the game. To me that was the only reason to pirate a game when you could not play your legit copy that you paid your hard earned dollars for.

Now a days with Steam and other forms of software or game distribution pirating a game is now pointless unless your one of those idiots who don't want to pay for their software.

6. lucidus

lucidus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Quality Polygon reporting. Nothing really to do with Ubisoft.

7. rflair

rflair Don Coleus Staff Member

GPU:
    5700XT
    Enjoy your ban and any other piece of crap who thinks mocking paying customers is a good thing.

8. Pheyd

Pheyd Guest

GPU:
    4gb
    Wow, talk about being classless. I have followed this discussion for a while, and I registered just to express my distaste. His opinions may have been extreme, sure, but he had some valid points. What reason was there exactly to ban the guy? It's not like he was giving people a step-by-step manual on how to pirate games. I don't know if you were the one that banned him, but if you did, shame on you. And whats that mocking paying customers bit? I remember him expressly stating, that everyone is responsible for their own finances. How is that mocking anyone? I am writing, because I am concerned with the state of censorship I have been witnessing recently. Furthermore, I do not remember him calling anyone a "piece of crap". That is apparently your forte. Somehow, you do not get banned. What is up with that double standard? Sad times.

PS. One more thing. Paying money for stupid things should not make you universally immune to criticism. People regularly mock rich folk buying overly expensive cars and silly overly-expensive gadgets.

Last edited: Nov 24, 2014
  9. rflair

rflair Don Coleus Staff Member

GPU:
    5700XT
    This was part of his reply.

So yes he is mocking paying customers.

10. Pheyd

Pheyd Guest

GPU:
    4gb
    That is highly debatable. I don't remember in what context he wrote that. From that little excerpt, he points out how some people defend publishers after questionable PR campaigns and corporate damage control, all the while not getting everything that they should have gotten. Either way, is mocking someone to reason enough censure him? That is balancing a very fine edge.

But I guess that is your opinion. And from what I can see, some opinions are more equal than others.

11. shymi

shymi Guest

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3070
    Hooray for day 0 patches and not finished products!

12. h4rm0ny

h4rm0ny Guest

GPU:
    R9 285 / 2GB
    User is banned. New user registers immediately afterwards to defend them.

Not necessarily accusing you, but it is suspicious...

Oh back in the day, I spent about an entire day hacking a very early version of iTunes so that it would run on my GNU/Linux box. That was definitely me breaking DRM (well, with the help of a correspondent from Scandinavia), but the crazy thing was that I was doing that so that I could buy music from the Apple store. Well, and to prove a point, I suppose. :)

Like you, I don't see the ethical argument for it exists much anymore.

13. Pheyd

Pheyd Guest

GPU:
    4gb
    Yes, I fully expected that some people would think that. Not that I care much. My opinions are my own. I happened to agree with some points the guy made. I am not ashamed of that, nor will I ever be, regardless of any hostility from various parties.

Your humorous anecdote about hacking iTunes to buy music aside, I have always believed ethics and morality hardly have a firm foundation, when it comes to business. A point was made earlier, a man who does not buy a product is heard more clearly, that the man who buys the product, and then shouts buyer's remorse from the rooftops. There is a benefit to having a mechanism, that would drive the publishers to deliver a better product. But the rise of irrational mob mentality that I have witnessed here, even from powers-that-be, cloud the judgement of individuals, and prevent them to view an issue objectively.

14. Fender178

Fender178 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070 | GTX 1060
    Interesting. I don't support pirating as far as new games go because the company and developer can get money for it, however back before Steam existed and the various ant-piracy methods existed heavily such as Secu-ROM which sometimes prevented consumers who paid their hard earned money for a game they can't play due to software such as Daemon tools and hardware such as having 2 optical drives. Then I supported those users using any methods necessary to get their game to work. Now a days piracy is rather pointless because of Steam Uplay, and Origin as far as new games go and some legacy games, however there are people who do not want to pay for anything and they pirate any way.

15. mcarr6

mcarr6 Member

GPU:
    PowerColor R9 Fury X
    That was very weak man. Ban somebody because of your lack of interpretation; nice :(

By the way, by your interpretive standards you just called him a piece of crap. Are you going to ban yourself?

16. vbetts

vbetts Don Vincenzo Staff Member

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti
    Just to add real quick the decisions of mods and admins on this forum are final. If you have an issue with it and even more so when it's not you being affected, keep it to yourself or PM a mod or admin. Any posts like this will be dealt with accordingly.

17. h4rm0ny

h4rm0ny Guest

GPU:
    R9 285 / 2GB
    I kind of regard them as universal. Principles cannot be turned on or off - that just makes them a convenience. Once you start marking out areas of life where you don't think ethics are required, that process just continues.

If you think that pirating a game sends a message to the publisher that the game isn't good enough then you're fooling yourself.

No-one else, mind you. It amazes me how some people can look at a company that sinks $20,000,000 into a game and thinks they have done no market research or pay no attention to what people say about it on release or never analyze their sales.

It's like in their mind they're imagining some blind suits in a boardroom saying: "well, we invested twenty mill into the game and we got thirty mill in revenue, it's positive so I guess we probably did something right, meeting over, see you in a couple of years at the next release".

They listen and they analyse and they study. I know it's cheap and easy to go "haha. if they listened game X wouldn't have been crap ho ho ho", but games development is a massive undertaking and companies dealing in these sorts of sums actually have a pretty good idea about people's reactions post-release.

Thinking stealing the game will tell them it's not wanted is stupid. And what gives you the right to be the one that sends the message anyway? So those of us who like it and pay for it are holding back the game whilst those who contribute nothing are helping make it better? That would tie Orwell's brain in knots. :(

And finally, as to dismissing our opinions as "irrational mob mentality"... yeah, right. Because our positions are clearly not rational. :3eyes:

18. rl66

rl66 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire RX 6700 XT
    maybe it's time to close the tread:

-because UBIsoft flame down by itself (2 games in 1 week lol).

-because the "not so legal" patch is already on most warez (and no i won't give the link :) we are on Guru3D ).

-because it start pro/con pirate since a few and it's another tread subject.

(my point on this is: 69.99€ (the price at start) is a game or one month of eating for some people, internet access can be free... if you earn 900€ and gave half to government tax and flat rental, would you buy this game or... ? )

19. KrzYsieK8926

KrzYsieK8926 Guest

GPU:
    MSI HD 7770 Ghz Edition
    ...or just don't buy it? Playing every game, or games in general, is not something that you can't live without.
    Buy something else on sale for almost nothing, play free to play games, like World of Tanks. EA is giving AAA games for free, there are many ways to play legally.

20. Veteran

Veteran Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2xTitan XM@1590Mhz-CH20
    Most games arnt even worth pirating today, they aint worth the bandwidth or the time wasted playing game. When i say i most i mean like 90% are just "generic trash with a new lick of paint" to temp the Padawans into buying which usually works most of the time......and then they complain....zzZZzz.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.