PSU fan replacement

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by dmak, Nov 22, 2014.

1. dmak

dmak Master Guru

GPU:
    zotac 770
    I replaced my 140 fan in the corsair tx750 with a noctua nf-a14 flx (another 140) and it doesnt move when I turn my computer on. It twitches a bit and if I give it a flick it overcomes its intertia and starts spinning. Also while its not spinning if I load the PSU by lauching a game or furmark the PSU fan kicks in.

so two questions:

Does this matter? should I just leave it and assume the threshold that it kicks in at is safety enough.

Or if this isnt good enough other suggestions for getting this fan working in my PSU. I've thought about rerouting a cable from a fan header on the MB and powering the fan that way, but then the fan header in the PSU wouldnt be filled and the PSU might not turn on.

Last edited: Nov 22, 2014
  2. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080
    Quite a conundrum. What was the amp rating of the original fan vs the Noctua? Some PSUs supply added current to speed up the fan when it gets warmer, so that may be whats happening here.

3. rflair

rflair Don Coleus Staff Member

GPU:
    5700XT
    That is probably exactly what is happening. Different fans require a different amount of minimum Amps to turn on (start spinning). The PSUs circuitry is built/balanced to operate the OEM fan.

4. dmak

dmak Master Guru

GPU:
    zotac 770
    This is the lines I've been thinking along too. Things seem ok as it kicks pretty quickly once I start doing something that needs more draw from the PSU. We will call it not moving a "feature" for now, more silent!

Alternatively I may try and use a MB fan header to power it. Even if I leave the fan at full speed it's still quieter than the fan that was in there when it was at its lowest speed.

the fan was a yate loon D14BH-12
    I replaced with a Noctua NF-A14 FLX

Last edited: Nov 22, 2014