GTX 970 Owners Thread

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by ScoobyDooby, Sep 19, 2014.

Tags:
  1. UZ7

UZ7 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    nVidia RTX 4080 FE
    Not sure if the Gold Edition bios is flashable, someone tried it but it didnt work for them.. I'm guessing they have the Samsung ram on the first batches of 970 Gaming.. the Gold edition as well as newer gaming comes with SK Hynix.

I think either new drivers or I'm experiencing some slow downs somewhere, doing dirty clocks but getting less score on 3DMark.

Last edited: Nov 21, 2014
  2. Ragingun

Ragingun Guest

GPU:
    295x2
    Thanks bro. Here's my first run today when I got my 2nd card installed.
    http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/4784484?

I will OC tonight to see what I can get and then post an edit here.

Here's my OC score. I didn't push it but it's where I'm at for testing at this time. http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/4784689?

3. Ragingun

Ragingun Guest

GPU:
    295x2
    That's a sweet score man. I was wondering how you got so high but then I saw your CPU, it KILLS mine. Next investment is the 4930k for sure.

4. UZ7

UZ7 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    nVidia RTX 4080 FE
    I'm hitting tdp :(
    +87w
    +110%
    +220MHz
    +600MHz

Anything I do no improvements.. may try tweaking BIOS.

5. GenClaymore

GenClaymore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3070 TI 8GB
    +125 Core seem like the highest I can get stable with any voltage setting and mV +12 is enough to make it stable. I haven't tried to oc the memory more just the gpu. Boost is 1493, with maxed boost being 1541.

6. Henador

Henador Guest

GPU:
    970 G1 Gaming
    Unfortunately, in Far Cry 4 (1.03) everything on Ultra, except Godrays, Motion Blur, Fur, Trees relief are off, and shadows on high I get fps spikes (even up to 15 fps) just by running around on the scene. When I'm approaching a bike or whatever is called I get constant fps drop down to 48-50. It seems that something is loading at that point cause it happens everytime (I have a specific save on the 1st village thus I'm following the same route to the bike to test the same thing).

I got the game from a friend who has the same G1 GPU and I never saw him drop further than 55-56 fps. Ok, I have 2500k@4.3 and he's sitting on 4670K@4.6.

7. Henador

Henador Guest

GPU:
    970 G1 Gaming

U might wanna try something and the see the outcome.

On the same settings as you I get boost clock@1454 and actual clock@1555.
    The strange is if I have +40mV with +100 core I get boost clock@1429@ but the same actual clock@1555. I'm not familiar with this chips but it seems voltage by itself will boost u further up even when the core is lower.

8. Henador

Henador Guest

GPU:
    970 G1 Gaming
    Finally, I found the source of the problem.
    I tested MY GPU onto my friends rig and it has no fps drops at all.
    I tested HIS GPU on my rig and I had the same fps drop. So, it's the GPU for sure.
    The obvious, since we have the same GPU, is the CPU along with the mobo.

It seems that 2500k bottlenecks the the system. The reviews on the net only saw us an average fps, min-max etc but not the weaknesses of the system. Furthermore, it can be the PCI-E on the mobo (as SB has PCI-E x2.0) but as far as I know the fps output is identical.

To conclude, I need a new CPU+mobo in order to avoid headaches. RIP 2500K

EDIT: I need some suggestions for the mobo (since I have limited budget). I've decided to go for the 4690K as it has the same price as 4670K in my country. I'm thinking something from Asus/AsRock tbh

9. Ragingun

Ragingun Guest

GPU:
    295x2
    You got it bro. I'm having the same probs now that I went SLI. On certain games like FC4 and Crysis 3 it randomly drops, and I mean really drops in FR every 10-15 seconds and when that happens I hear the hard drive searching. I've monitored my RAM and it only loads to 2.5gb out of the 16gb available so it must be my CPU as well and I'm running a 3820 at 4.7ghz. I just scanned my hard drive only to find that it was 23% fragmented. I just did a fresh install of W8.1 so I will defrag and see if this issue continues to happen. If it does I have 2 solutions, get a SSD or an upgrade entirely. I've been wanting a 5930k now so I've got $3,000 sitting in my cart on NewEgg lol!

Let me know if you want my current platform, I'd sell for a good price. It ran the hell outa my 970. Look on this thread for my results a page back. I hit around 10,200 to 10,300 with one card stock clocks and 11,2xx OC'd.

10. Henador

Henador Guest

GPU:
    970 G1 Gaming
    SSD is an upgrade overall! You can see the difference! My suggestion, if you go for one, is the 840 Evo which value for money atm.

As far as 970 SLI, it is not a secret that there is a problem. Unfortunately, you have to wait for proper drivers.

It's just a shame to hit 1555MHz, able to go further, and the 2500k hold me back...I didn't expect that tbh.

EDIT: 840 Evo

11. Ragingun

Ragingun Guest

GPU:
    295x2
    The problem I have with SLI is that some games do it and some don't. It likely may be a driver issue but it's also weird in that every time it does it the hard drive is biting. It's not that it's only the really graphically intense games do it since Shadow of Mordor runs perfect.

12. Henador

Henador Guest

GPU:
    970 G1 Gaming
    Have u run an HDD bench? Might find something useful there

13. Sycuss_MoO

Sycuss_MoO Guest

GPU:
    WB Asus Tuf 4090
    Uz7 ill gladdly pick up ur gamming edition msi gtx 970 so u can pick up another golden? Say 275.00 be really nice to pair it with the GE I have. We both know the the golden needs another one of the same. :)

14. Ragingun

Ragingun Guest

GPU:
    295x2
    I'll have to do that. I just graphed my CPU usage during the game. Everytime the stutter happens the 1st 2 cores drop very low and then spike back up. I'm not sure if it's not being fed enough information fast enough or if it's an SLI issue. With everything maxed I'm not ever dropping below 60fps. It can't be my platform is bottle necked like I mentioned before since all of the cores never go above 50%.

15. GenClaymore

GenClaymore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3070 TI 8GB
    I just found out that i can do +400 on the memory so far. I didnt think i could til i saw some one else with a ftw do it.

16. Ragingun

Ragingun Guest

GPU:
    295x2
    They will OC anywhere from 800-1000

17. Anarion

Anarion Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce RTX 3060 Ti
    800? Naah... It's the same Samsung/Hynix memory than on any other card. With bad luck only 7300 MHz is stable - or it goes nuts right after 7000 MHz.

18. UZ7

UZ7 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    nVidia RTX 4080 FE
    Haha nice try :D

Nah I actually flashed the gaming w/ the golden BIOS, works pretty good! :D

Also edited the BIOS so it runs at low RPM instead of off on IDLE.

19. moparbjt

moparbjt Guest

GPU:
    Evga Ref-GTX980 in SLI
    Msi 970 SLI

Morning everyone
    Just ran a mild overclock 100/300 and got 18387 on fire strike Will do some more testing later I Have already got in the top ten in 3Dmark11 Entry

20. Ragingun

Ragingun Guest

GPU:
    295x2
    I'm confused. Many people are hitting 7,800-8,000 on the memory OC.