Dragon Age: Inquisition - Mantle Unplayable

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by jaju123, Nov 18, 2014.

1. MacT

MacT Member Guru

GPU:
    2 x Sapphire HD 7970 OC
    So is these games like BF4 where upon first startup, a Mantle cache is created using your current Mantle version? If it is like the BF4, is best to delete these cached mantle game files when changing Mantle drivers. If you don't, when you start the game with the new Mantle drivers, the new Mantle drivers will load using info from the older cached files (created with the old Mantle driver). This can maybe lead to performance issues/incompatibilities with the newer driver.

With BF4, deleting these cached files is no problem. New cached files will be created (using the new Mantle drivers) upon game restart.

I would maybe check and see if that is the case with these other games. Do they have cached Mantle files? Maybe try delete them. Just a thought...

P.S. BF4 Files I delete when upgrading Mantle driver are the 2 x MantlePipelinecache files found in Documents/ Battlefield 4/ cache folder.

2. veggiesaurus

veggiesaurus Guest

GPU:
    GeForce GTS 450
    Can you check in CCC for the mantle API and driver version numbers please.

3. The Postman

The Postman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 980 TI Gaming
    Mantle driver version 9.1.10.0045
    Mantle API version 98304

4. Mareak

Mareak Member

GPU:
    Sapphire R9 290x
    Hi bro, same here. I use only single card R9 290x and have problem running mantle where the game will randomly crash and CCC inform GPU temperature is high.

BF4, unplayable for me, getting 28 FPS. Don't what happen. This happen after I upgrade from 7970.

5. djsebfr

djsebfr Guest

GPU:
    Nvidia GeForce GTX 950
    Hello, like all games supporting mantle, this one offers me lower framerate and visual quality than direct x.

I am playing in 2560 * 1080 with all the textures and maximum details out :
    -With Directx : 45-50 solid and smooth fps (2 cards@80-85°)
    -With Mantle : 30 fps average , 15min 40max. (2 cards@90-95°)

All Loadings in game are X2 longer with mantle enabled :-(

No crash after 3 hours of intensive playing at the moment.
    i have seen 2 or 3 blinking textures during my trip in the environment but it's not annoying. i think it's a little bug from the game, not from drivers.

bye

6. MacT

MacT Member Guru

GPU:
    2 x Sapphire HD 7970 OC
    When you upgraded card, did you uninstall the drivers and re-install? If not, suggest a DDU uninstall and reinstall latest drivers.

Also, did you delete the MantlePipelinecache files found in your Documents/Battlefield 4/cache folder? Best to delete these when upgrading card or mantle driver version. They will be recreated anew using the new Mantle version next time you start game.

7. Tronman

Tronman Guest

GPU:
    XFX 295x2
    Hey jaju I'm getting the exact same thing. I have an i7 3820 at 4.4ghz and 295x2 so the game is running perfectly at 60FPS yet the game is getting cpu spikes clearly visible on the frametime graphs every 5 secs, and it unacceptable stuttering even though 60FPS is easily achieved.

For reference BF4 runs like a dream - always has and never had any issues with mantle previously. I have spent a few hours tweaking but the spikes are CPU related, graphical changes don't affect this.

The other weird thing is mantle takes freaking AGES to load. When the api is set to DX11 I'm in the game in 5 seconds (its on my SSD). With mantle selected it even takes forever before the splash screen comes up. Before the level loads which takes like 5 minutes (it almost seems like the game crashes) and then it suddenly rights itself. Is anyone else getting this?

So does anyone know where the problem lies - is it with AMD's mantle/driver or is it the game dev?

8. ravaged

ravaged Guest

GPU:
    ASUS 2080 Super
    I don't think it matters, ultimately. Reported the issue to both AMD and Bioware, and let's see if they ever fix it. Not holding breath, but also get fine FPS through DX11 so I'm not particularly upset. It is just strange how poorly the game performs under mantle.

9. Toss3

Toss3 Guest

GPU:
    WC Inno3D GTX 980 TI
    Seeing the same thing here, and was looking all over the net for a thread confirming my suspissions that Mantle is broken in DA:I.

See my graphs below comparing mantle to DX11 (mantle on the left and dx11 on the right). This is on a 4770k with a 290 overclocked to 1100/1400, on the latest drivers (14.11.2).

[​IMG]

Things I've tried to fix the problem (suggested for BF4 cpu spikes):
    -disable pagefile
    -disable HT
    -setting thread.maxprocessorcount and processorcount to 8 or 4 (makes no difference)
    -setting RenderDevice.RenderAheadLimit to 0 or 1 (makes the problem a lot worse)
    -unparking CPU cores (makes no difference)

Guess we'll just have to wait for an official patch. Cannot believe AMD would mess up another Mantle game. :bang:

UPDATE: Set the texture quality to high and the stuttering disappeared. Guessing mantle just uses much more memory which causes stuttering (should be fixed in the next patch). :infinity:

Last edited: Nov 21, 2014
  10. veggiesaurus

veggiesaurus Guest

GPU:
    GeForce GTS 450
    Yep, it's very disappointing. Although the issue may be on Bioware's side. pcgameshardware.de talks of a patch that supposedly fixes the VRAM usage and CPU spikes. Really hoping that sorts things out, because mantle's reduced CPU usage helps, even on a 2600k.

11. Toss3

Toss3 Guest

GPU:
    WC Inno3D GTX 980 TI
    Vram usage is definitely what is causing most of the stutter, as turning down some settings like Texture Quality, Tesselation, Post-processing, etc. help make the game less stuttery (much less CPU spikes).

12. jaju123

jaju123 Guest

GPU:
    2x AMD R9 290 Crossfire
    Hmmm I just left it on ultra, I can check it again.

If you put in "render.drawscreeninfo 1" into the console though, it shows my VRAM usage only around 2.8GB, however... perhaps the reality is different, as I didn't use MSI afterburner or anything to check.

13. veggiesaurus

veggiesaurus Guest

GPU:
    GeForce GTS 450
    It might start there, but it will keep climbing up.

14. The Postman

The Postman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 980 TI Gaming
    I dont understand some of these posts. Mantle runs smooth like butter for me.

I am glad AMD and Bioware worked together on this.

15. The Mac

The Mac Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire R9-290 Vapor-X
    same here, although im not using crossfire.

its smooth, and i get about a 10fps uplift which is nice on ultra.

16. LtMatt81

LtMatt81 Master Guru

GPU:
    4x Fury X
    Is that a 10fps uplift when using Mantle vs DirectX Mac?

17. The Mac

The Mac Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire R9-290 Vapor-X
    Mantle.

all ultra, fade textures, 2xAA, 1080p

30ish fps on DX11

40ish fps on Mantle.

18. veggiesaurus

veggiesaurus Guest

GPU:
    GeForce GTS 450
    When there aren't cpu spikes and texture streaming issues, mantle is really smooth, and it has a nice fps boost in areas where there are lots of characters on screen. But unfortunately, it seems the memory leak from BF4 has made its way to DA:I as well. It's pretty well documented around the net.

edit: also, the built-in benchmark is really awful. don't trust it.

19. The Mac

The Mac Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire R9-290 Vapor-X
    is this memory leak only for CF?

i play for hours and hours, and dont have a single crash or massive ram usage.

20. jaju123

jaju123 Guest

GPU:
    2x AMD R9 290 Crossfire
    How does your game work on Mantle AMDmatt? With 2x crossfire? Also the CPU spikes? BF4 is fine for me. Inquisiton is not. I think it's using an older frostbite version without the new patch.