Finally Freedom and Democracy in Russia!

Discussion in 'The Guru's Pub' started by NomadAssassin, Nov 18, 2014.

1. Mr.Bigtime

Mr.Bigtime Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 on Laptop
    shame and yes.

2. J.B.west

J.B.west Guest

GPU:
    nVidia GeForce GTX 660ti

Please stop referring to the USA as America, America is North, Central and South. There are over 40 countries in the Americas.

Its called the United States OF America

3. Brasky

Brasky Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 4070 Ti Su
    Amen.

4. Ryu5uzaku

Ryu5uzaku Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6800 XT
    America is just fine. Else he would be saying Americas :D And everyone knows murika means usa. When saying only America it is usa. North America, Central America and South America are written in other style. It is fine to say America.

5. Brasky

Brasky Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 4070 Ti Su
    +1 , there were never mass killings before guns were around. Damn the guns!

6. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    Sure there were. But at war times, or tribal conflicts. Not everyday business. :D

7. Mr_ALLroy

Mr_ALLroy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3
  8. Jonnyboy

Jonnyboy Guest

GPU:
    EVGA SC GTX 1070
    Really? Do you remember the crusades or the mass hanging of Native American fighting for what was theirs condoned by Lincoln?

Last edited: Nov 22, 2014
  9. thatguy91

thatguy91 Guest

Image the fun they would have had if they had guns ;).

Guns for self defence? How many people use guns for self defence that actually get shot by their own weapon? Or by the actions of presenting a gun causes the offender to actually fire their weapon?

Gun control in America simply doesn't happen because if the politicians were to bring it in, not only wouldn't they get voted for at the next election, but they'd probably get assassinated... with a gun (ironically proving the need for gun control).

If you really want to see the real motivation behind this in Russia, it certainly it's to benefit the Russian people. Maybe it's to arm them in case of a potential conflict in the future? Who knows. It really wouldn't be effective though, nor would be be effective in the US. If the US ever got invaded and people too up arms, it's more likely they'll end up shooting each other. Yep, shoot anyone that looks foreign, right? You know that's what would happen, you can't deny it ;).

To give a reason why people say America for the US, it's simple. Americans (people from the USA) call themselves Americans! Are they USAins? If you want to further that argument, you could say instead of calling the USA the 'United States of America', since it's not all of North America let alone the America's, maybe they should change the name to 'United States of part of North America and Hawaii' ;). At least it would make things clearer, not that it would help, since most people don't know the long form of the name of their own country.

10. Veeshush

Veeshush Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 680 Lightning
    Making guns harder for law abiders does not make it hard for criminals who rarely even buy their guns at gun shops to begin with. There will always exist a market for people to buy stuff, laws do not matter. However, once a thing becomes harder or even illegal to obtain legally, than the danger is increased to the consumer, who's then forced to buy something from some shady ****'s truck or something.

It's like prohibition of alcohol. Booze never went away, the problems of alcoholism never went away, although it did provide some massive funds for criminal empires to start up.

11. Yecnot

Yecnot Guest

GPU:
    RTX 3080Ti

The fact that you would even suggest this makes me question your judgement.

12. thatguy91

thatguy91 Guest

It's just a name. I wouldn't be surprised if United Statians don't know which is which between the Republic of Korea and the Democratic Peoples Republic of Korea for example.

13. ---TK---

---TK--- Guest

GPU:
    2x 980Ti Gaming 1430/7296
    We do, Do Australians know?

14. Yecnot

Yecnot Guest

GPU:
    RTX 3080Ti
    Or the vast majority of any population on the other side of the planet in relation to the Koreas?

15. thatguy91

thatguy91 Guest

That was just an example. Democratic Peoples my a***! Of course most people don't know the names of most countries, which is fair enough.

Freedom means freedom of expression, and you don't need a gun to do that. I realise in most cases people want big guns to compensate for their small 'gun', but wannabes feeling the need to dress up in faux military gear and hold a high powered automatic weapon claiming it's for self defence is a bit bull. Why do you need a big gun fire self defence? Are you too weak of a coward to face self defence scenarios like a real man ;).

There are plenty of countries that allow gun ownership and have less freedoms. There are countries that have tight gun laws that are higher on the democratic (read freedom) ratings than the US.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 22, 2014

16. IcE

IcE Don Snow

GPU:
    3070Ti FE
    What you see in the media is not really an accurate portrayal of the country as a whole. Those "fake army" types are few and far between. Not to mention automatic weapons are nearly impossible to get legally unless you're very rich. And there's never been a case of self defense with a legal automatic here. We're not much different than Sweden. People may carry around big intimidating AR-15's, but they're just another sport rifle that's single shot only.

And really, you're going to belittle those who arm themselves? Not everyone can or is willing to fight hand to hand with someone, or face an armed criminal period without something to equalize the situation. If someone breaks into your home, how are you supposed to know if they're armed or not? Are you going to run up to them with a baseball bat and potentially get shot? Or are you going to ask them nicely to leave?

Also, the OP already said that the title was supposed to be ironic. I'm pretty sure very few if anyone is arguing that guns = freedom.

17. Yecnot

Yecnot Guest

GPU:
    RTX 3080Ti
    There are always those few brave, beautiful bastards of the population that absolutely refuse to sign the social contract. Whatever their moral perceptions or philosophies, I salute them for this. :blunt:

18. Whiplashwang

Whiplashwang Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090 PNY
    I've been hearing people saying this a lot lately. When people hear America they think of the USA and since America is in the name the United States of America it's simpler to say, "I'm American." What else are we suppose to say? I'm United States OF American? I'm U.S.ian? We could go by local names and say I'm Californian or Texan, but we don't since those are states and not counties. Plus you don't hear all the other Countries in the Americas call themselves American. They go by what their country is called, Canadian, Peruvian, Columbian, etc.

19. IcE

IcE Don Snow

GPU:
    3070Ti FE
    It's the same thing as a Brit trying to correct an American on the pronunciation of "Aluminium". It's some weird attempt to come across as more civilized/cultured/knowledgeable than us dumb yanks.

20. Yecnot

Yecnot Guest

GPU:
    RTX 3080Ti
    Brings new meaning to the term politically correct eh?