Another look at HPET High Precision Event Timer

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by Bukkake, Sep 18, 2012.

1. nanogenesis

nanogenesis Guest

GPU:
    MSI R9 390X 1178|6350
    Well, snappy would not satisfy a lot of us here :)

If you can run the PC Clock Timing app a few pages back and post results from on and off, and maybe run a benchmark at 720p with low details of any game (just to study cpu performance variation).

2. Raiga

Raiga Maha Guru

GPU:
    GPU
    Benchmarks!? hell noo, benchmarks only give weird values which doesn't properly reflect my experience.

But I will tell the visual experience (it might be placebo or not, but this is how I felt)

• Desktop usage <- everything responds quickly
    • Shadow of Mordor <- Before the game loading screen directly used to time the transition to character control, but after the changes I found that the game doesn't give character control immediately after load (the game's rendered and running, but the input only starts responding after some moments)
    • Dota 2 <- First game (after every launch) load times appears faster (might be complete fullon Placebo, but I perceive this way)
    • Chrome Browser <- appears to respond a bit quick
    That's all I have done for comparison, didn't dig much but the above is why I felt it was snappy.

Note: Shadow of Mordor with settings, my benchmark FPS shows 48 Average FPS.

Note 2: I also play Dota 2 using GeDoSato from 2560x1440 -> 1080p with Lancoz (only Vsync is disabled, everything is high/max)

Also do note that I manually control my P-states with K10stat, set weird values to switch between states based on CPU % usage and I disabled a few power saving optimizations in Bios for CPU (except Cool&Quiet).

My OS is on Primary HDD, Dota 2 on SSD, Shadow of Mordor on HDD (OS disk itself).

Edit: I'll post my PC timings values in some time, as per nanogenesis's request. But I'll bet it won't mean much in real world scenario, because its scripted (train on a rail) values in ideal scenario.

Last edited: Oct 27, 2014
  3. nanogenesis

nanogenesis Guest

GPU:
    MSI R9 390X 1178|6350
    Those benchmarks you see in 200-600fps numbers, having a variation in that helps determine cpu gain. Yes benchmarks with ultra low @ 720p for 200fps+ sounds crazy. However if you don't want to, its okay.

In my bios there is no HPET, so if the PC Clock Timing app is to be believed, I have it disabled somewhat, comparing to other people's results.

4. KorbenD

KorbenD Guest

GPU:
    Asus GeForce GTX 980
    I had an odd bug that I first noticed when I played Alien: Isolation that was related to HPET.

The game had been working fine, so had Windows. Not sure what happened, but after a reboot, everything in the game movement-wise was in slow motion. Walking and running with both the player and the NPCs was all at about half speed.

Framerate was still fine though, and audio and sound effects were normal.

After quitting the game, I noticed that Aero effects were also running slower than normal.

After checking the usual problems, making sure the video card drivers were updated, etc. I found a post mentioning enabling HPET fixing slow Aero performance. So, after running bcdedit /set useplatformclock true in a cmd prompt, I rebooted and everything was back to normal. The game actions were back to full speed, and so were Aero effects.

5. Raiga

Raiga Maha Guru

GPU:
    GPU
    Here are my numbers,

CPU/MB info
    [​IMG]

K10STAT configuration
    [​IMG]

at 800Mhz (locked P-State)
    [​IMG]

at 3400Mhz (locked P-State)
    [​IMG]

Edit: I didn't mess with OS timer resolution, because I feel forcing it to 0.500ms is going to trigger performance issues (so its at the default value of 15+ms, at the time above values were captured).

Last edited: Oct 27, 2014
  6. Espionage724

Espionage724 Guest

Reinstalled Windows on my desktop; Catalyst 14.9.2 still forces useplatformclock=yes.

In the past, I would just set a cmd to set useplatformclock to no. Since the value doesn't exist prior to installing Catalyst... it just occurred to me that it would make more sense just to delete the value entirely. So I just run this at boot:

Code:
    bcdedit /deletevalue useplatformclock
    As for why I run it at boot; the value reappears after a reboot. Still kind of curious as to why AMD enables it though.

If I recall right, it wasn't enabled on my dual-graphics laptop though with 14.9.2.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 9, 2014
  7. BenYeeHua

BenYeeHua Guest

GPU:
    Asus 650M D3
    For some AMD CPU, I guess.
    I think they may not trust some of their CPU TSC and also Windows...

8. Raiga

Raiga Maha Guru

GPU:
    GPU
    So I replaced my AMD CPU/MB with Intel.

Where do I find the option for HPET on an Asus H97 Plus motherboard, I couldn't find it in the UEFI BIOS.

9. nanogenesis

nanogenesis Guest

GPU:
    MSI R9 390X 1178|6350
    ASUS is smart and ASUS motherboards are the best.

Although seriously why not run the PCClockTiming app? If the performance query counter is way beyond 1000 you know HPET is enabled.

10. Raiga

Raiga Maha Guru

GPU:
    GPU
    I didn't re-install Windows 7 (64-bit) after I switched my CPU/Motherboard/RAM, also had HPET in Windows 7 disabled prior (with the "bcdedit /deletevalue useplatformclock" command).

I'll post my current PCClocksTiming in some time (when I am free).

Edit
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 10, 2014

11. Espionage724

Espionage724 Guest

I just use HPET2.exe to check for HPET: http://puu.sh/cTcrU/45134c8cc7.zip

It'll tell you the counter frequency, and whether or not HPET is in-use:
    [​IMG]

(I guess it was designed for HPET to be used; hence the frowning face for CPU clock)

12. Dicehunter

Dicehunter Active Member

GPU:
    GameRock 4090 OC
    So does having HPET on improve performance or decrease it ?

13. Raiga

Raiga Maha Guru

GPU:
    GPU
    Check it yourself...its system dependent (hardware and OS/software settings).

14. M3TALG3AR3X

M3TALG3AR3X Member

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 980Ti Xtreme
    Hi, what tests can we do to find which is best settings for a particular system.

Ty.

15. Raiga

Raiga Maha Guru

GPU:
    GPU
    My suggestion, don't try benchmarks. Just check if you perceive the changes yourself, like how I found it out myself on my old AMD CPU/MB.

16. M3TALG3AR3X

M3TALG3AR3X Member

GPU:
  17. Raiga

Raiga Maha Guru

GPU:
    GPU
  18. M3TALG3AR3X

M3TALG3AR3X Member

GPU:
    Ty. if i use timer resolution it can drop to .500ms
    what is the best timer resolution (free)

19. Yecnot

Yecnot Guest

GPU:
    RTX 3080Ti
    Timer resolution is something embedded within windows, and any tool should reduce it to the minimum, 0.500(0.488 when not using hpet). Anyone who tries to sell you one is either an idiot or thinks that we're idiots.

Personally I prefer timer-resolution tool in the form of a system service, which is somewhere around here.

20. Espionage724

Espionage724 Guest

Installed Windows 7 to my desktop earlier; HPET wasn't enabled by-default after installing Catalyst.

Although on-top of changing to Win7, I also installed Catalyst 14.11.2, and also didn't install AMD's Pci Bus filter driver thing (I usually do this). So one of those three things could be the reason why.

Edit: Installed the Pci Bus driver, and HPET isn't enabled still (no useplatformclock setting). So it's either the 14.11.2 driver or Windows 7.

Did the same process on Windows 10 Tech Preview (9879); HPET was enabled. So it seems that HPET isn't enabled by Catalyst under Windows 7.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 28, 2014