HBAO+ Compatibility Flags Thread

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by MrBonk, Mar 3, 2014.

1. robgrab

robgrab Guest

GPU:
    ASUS Strix 1080 8GB
    I typically use GeDoSaTo to do all my downsampling but in Bioshock 1 and 2 it disables HBAO+. Ever since NVIDIA released their latest drivers that include DSR support for GTX 670s I've been using that. I crank the smoothness down to 16% and it looks decent.

Regarding SGSSAA, I use a formula I found a long time ago for choosing LOD values:

2x MSAA + 2x SGGGAA = -0.50
    4x MSAA + 4x SGSSAA = -1.00
    8x QMSAA + 8x SGSSAA = -1.50
    Also change LOD bias from "Clamp" to "Allow"

I'm not sure if this is still true or if it's changed. I also have a 21:9 aspect ratio monitor (native 2560x1080) so I don't know if that messes things up.

I'm currently trying to find a flag for Jade Empire, which is a DX9 game. Any idea where I should start. From what I understand only the last 2 characters should change (i.e. 0x000000YZ). According to the Wiki it's a proprietary game engine. I know similar Bioware games (KOTOR 1 and 2) used OpenGL so not sure where to start.

2. GuruKnight

GuruKnight Guest

GPU:
    2 x 980 Ti AMP! Ex
    Nice job nonetheless :)
    I think you are being too hard on yourself honestly.

Btw when testing HBAO+ in FEAR 2, did you remember to set "Widescreen=Off" in the settings?
    Enabling this setting will lock the game into a 16:9 aspect ratio, with black bars at non 16:9 resolutions.

3. KoKlusz

KoKlusz Member Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3080 12 GB
    F.E.A.R.

0x00000023 (Strong)
    0x0000001B (Subtle)
    0x00000032 (Very subtle)

So, after testing all official an some custom flags, I believe that it's impossible to find flag without issues. Least problematic ones I've found are 23, 1B and 32.

32 and 1B does bleed through smoke, does not through glass. 1B is bit stronger than 32, however 32 is applying better effect on distance objects.
    23 is interesting, since it bleeds through smoke and glass, however it doesn't bleeds all the time, in fact, from what I tested, it's working fine more than it's not, so thats an improvement over 08.

All flags have been tested in single player mode, in 1920x1080 resolution, except 1A, for which I've tried different aspect ratios to see if this would fix flickering with this flag (it didn't)

Exteriors:

No AO
    0x00000008
    0x00000023
    0x0000001A
    0x0000001B
    0x00000032

Interiors:

No AO
    0x00000008
    0x00000023
    0x0000001A
    0x0000001B
    0x00000032

Bleeding test 1:

No AO
    0x00000008
    0x00000023 (additional smoke test: 1, 2)
    0x0000001A
    0x0000001B
    0x00000032

Bleeding test 2:

No AO
    0x00000008
    0x00000023
    0x0000001A
    0x0000001B
    0x00000032

4. GuruKnight

GuruKnight Guest

GPU:
    2 x 980 Ti AMP! Ex
    Never mind :)

Last edited: Nov 16, 2014

5. MrBonk

MrBonk Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte 3080 Ti

It's not about the Driver LOD for Bioshock, the game sort of scales LOD in it's own way with resolution, which causes there to be too much shimmering with downsampling. Even more shimmering than without downsampling!

If I still had the game installed, i'd try to get video of it.

6. MrBonk

MrBonk Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte 3080 Ti
    In the 2nd bleeding test, you can see that some of the flags have the strange vertical line issue when bleeding too.

Not a huge issue if it's not all that often.

Nice work though, sometimes getting things working right is such a pain with the tools we have available!

7. Kaladin

Kaladin Member

GPU:
    MSI RTX 4090
    Hi folks, with the imminent release of Dragon Age: Inquisition (unlocked tomorrow using the Korean VPN) I was wondering if there's any working HBAO+ profile/Compatibility Flag for Frostbite 3.

I tried googling for Battlefield 4, but I couldn't find anything conclusive. I remember that the game had HBAO.

Thanks

8. whitespider

whitespider Guest

GPU:
    Frostbite engine uses it's own internal hbao. Not hbao+. It's possible (although very unlikely) that one of the dx11 flags for hbao+ will be able to be forced for the game. Since frostbite's hbao+ uses a half resolution version (lesser quality than hbao+) to save performance.

The advantage of frostbite hbao when compared to hbao+ is that it's tailored specifically for the engine (no bleeding, less over darkening) and that it's filtered so it's smoothing looking on surfaces.

In other news, hbao+ for farcry 4 is pretty underwhelming and buggy at this point. It's the hbao+ very high quality mode (rather than a choice between performance and quality with something like watch dogs) and it causes certain segments of geometry to dissapear at times. TXAA is also non-functional in the current version of the game, and produces more shimmering than AA off or SMAA.

Currently smaa is actually the best AA option for the game. Hbao+ desaturates and causes glitches, godrays are too strong and create desaturation and gamma washout during daytime. This leads to the most expensive effects being in one way or another inferior, despite having the potential to make the game look incredible.

The only thing that's not botched is Fur. Which is very low cost, and looks good at close ranges (hard to see at distant ranges)

Farcry 4 costs about the same performance wise at ultra settings at 2560x1440, as farcry 3 does at 8x msaa + ultra settings. With nividia options enabled, that's another 75% rise in cost. (Txaa + hbao+ godrays)

Sli 980s would manage about 60fps at that resolution with nividia settings, god help people wanting to run the game full blast at 4k. I don't think quadlsi would even allow above 30fps, assuming it was functional.

Still, as expensive as all that is. It's only a third as expensive as assassins creed unity without any additional options (such as txaa/hbao+)

I think i'll be dropping from 2560x1440 to 1920x1080 w.gsync this generation. Too many expensive games, upgrading to 4k would mean that I need sli videocard replacements every single time a more powerful one is released. Which would cost a few k a year, vs a few k for 5 years at 1920x1080. lol

Last edited: Nov 18, 2014
  9. GuruKnight

GuruKnight Guest

GPU:
    2 x 980 Ti AMP! Ex
    TXAA is crap anyway IMO.
    Personally I prefer 4K with FXAA in many newer games.

Last edited: Nov 18, 2014
  10. XzavieR

XzavieR Guest

GPU:
    ASUS GT660
    Some flags I tried out for Overlord: 0x0000006 (Subtle) or 0x0000001F (Strong). Note: HBAO+ renders through fog in this game - it is especially noticable in minion wells.

I had prepared and uploaded screenshots for comparison but unfortunately the board won't let me post links with such a low post count. You'll just have to try it out and see for yourself, and post screenies.

11. MrBonk

MrBonk Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte 3080 Ti
    Far Cry 4 stuff must just be bugged ATM. Wouldn't be surprised given it's Ubisoft and Unity.

Looks fine in Nvidia materials http://international.download.nvidi...cclusion-comparison-8-hbao-plus-vs-no-ao.html suggesting a bug

The omission of HRAA is disappointing too. But based on PS4 footage i've seen, there is still a very large amount of temporal issues. chrome://mega/content/secure.html#!BddFnbDD!CGWHm1CNHtj1uxbOnhMbK0yvq_NuJcK51MyjXv8N1lo

Last edited: Nov 19, 2014
  12. ZabaZuu

ZabaZuu Active Member

GPU:
    RTX 3080 10 GB
    That's actually how HBAO+ looks in Far Cry 4. It is extremely dark and has weird issues where intensity cranks up when you go from a light area to a dark area. It is total overkill. SSBC is the best option for AO unless they fix HBAO+. I also second TXAA being completely broken. SMAA is indeed the best option. I really don't get it, Nvidia used to be on top of things, but over the last couple years, they have gotten slack. AMD needs to stomp them in their next release so that Nvidia will get their stuff together.

13. whitespider

whitespider Guest

GPU:
    Exactly, hbao+ in farcry 4 is terrible. Talk about over darkening. You lose half the freaking picture. I can't believe they included a screenshot of that as if they are proud of it. No AO looks far better (for the first time ever?)

Godrays are also overdone. And as i mentioned before, TXAA is flatout broken. SSAO is the same as it was in farcry 3, yet it looks way better than hardware hbao+.

Considering that recently we where trying to get a hbao+ flag to work with farcry 3 because of how underwhelming it's ssao implementations where (with over darkening) it's a true indication of how bad that hbao+ flag is when that exact same ssao setting makes the game look bright compared to hbao+

14. whitespider

whitespider Guest

GPU:
    Also for the record, the smaa in the game looks better than msaax2 or msaax4. It's not traditional smaa. It's the ONLY AA method that deals with the trees temporal AA. Which is terrible with AA off/Txaa/Txaax4/Msaax2/Msaax4

In fact it's far better than smaa tx2 implementations i've seen. Although if txaa was working it would also cover the trees temporal aliasing problems.

15. MrBonk

MrBonk Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte 3080 Ti
    In all the shots and footage i've seen the other AO options apply the same way.

It's by design of the game developers. That's how they wanted to do stuff. They wanted it really strong. /Shrug

http://international.download.nvidi...occlusion-comparison-3-hbao-plus-vs-ssbc.html
    http://international.download.nvidi...occlusion-comparison-5-hbao-plus-vs-ssbc.html
    http://international.download.nvidi...occlusion-comparison-6-hbao-plus-vs-ssbc.html
    http://international.download.nvidi...occlusion-comparison-7-hbao-plus-vs-ssbc.html
    http://international.download.nvidi...occlusion-comparison-8-hbao-plus-vs-ssbc.html
    http://international.download.nvidi...occlusion-comparison-2-hbao-plus-vs-ssbc.html

Until I see it for myself, I have to reserve judgement though. :stewpid:

I wouldn't blame any of the choices to do things a certain way on Nvidia. Only the devs. So if TXAA doesn't work as well as it should, that's the developers fault for how they have their rendering pipeline set up. Proper MSAA is a joke at this point

Last edited: Nov 19, 2014

16. KoKlusz

KoKlusz Member Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3080 12 GB
    What if PC SMAA is HRAA :infinity:

17. GuruKnight

GuruKnight Guest

GPU:
    2 x 980 Ti AMP! Ex
    How about NVIDIA just gives us DX11 AA bits and we can be done with all these silly post AA methods, which always have one downside or another ;)
    https://forums.geforce.com/default/topic/544701/geforce-drivers/petition-for-directx-11-anti-aliasing-driver-profiles/

Btw did anyone try disabling ingame AO in FC4, and have a crack at driver forced HBAO+ instead?
    Based on previous Dunia engine games, "0x00060000" might be a good starting point.
    I haven't received my copy of FC4 yet, otherwise I would do it myself.

18. XzavieR

XzavieR Guest

GPU:
    ASUS GT660
    Just wanted to note that I can not get this flag to apply HBAO+ in my Dreamfall TLJ (GOG.com version). The only way I can get any AO working in this game is through use of ENBseries shaders, which looks pretty much exactly like what your screenshots show, but also lets me disable AO with a hotkey.

I'm thinking SweetFX might be what enables the game to recieve HBAO+ through this flag, though I haven't tested, I only know I can't get it to work with a vanilla game, and with ENBseries SSAO enabled, the flag has no additional effect beyond what ENBseries adds. Can anyone confirm if this flag actually works with a vanilla game (no custom shaders)?

19. whitespider

whitespider Guest

GPU:
    I've never seen a dysfunctional txaa before. It's always worked perfectly in games. Yet if i turn it on here it looks worse than noAA. Ropes have tons of aliasing, things seem weirdly oversharp, tree leaves/textures shimmer in overdrive, and all forms of temporal aliasing become three times stronger.

So txaa is the polar opposite of what txaa does to other games.

Turn on SMAA, and suddenly everything (except jagged distant ropes etc) is smooth enough to make it look like txaa-lite (txaa judged from other games). It reminds me of ryse's temporal AA. Only not quite as good (still worlds better than dead rising/alien isolation)

If this was smaa-sweetfx-ultra level. I would never be happy with it. However this implementation makes me prefer it over the far more expensive options.

It's 100% without question a better form of temporal SMAA and not traditional smaa. Is it HRAA? no idea. I don't know anything about HRAA.

20. KoKlusz

KoKlusz Member Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3080 12 GB